Active Shooter - Washington Navy Yard

HU&W

Initial reporting says 10 shot (8 civilians and 2 police) and 3 shooters. Does not say any are fatal.

http://www.washingto...b549_story.html

The update now says 4 killed, 8 injured, and one shooter "down" (it isn't specified whether he was taken into custody or shot).

Here's hoping for a swift resolution without any more deaths or injuries to the folks working the Naval Yard.

Apparently he was a badass terrorist hunter:

"It has also been revealed he was awarded the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and the National Defense Service Medal prior to his discharge in January 2011."

They have a block just past the first set of photos that says "Honored for his part in the War on Terror" and lists the criteria for the GWOT and NDSM.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2421980/REVEALED-Gunman-34-murdered-TWELVE-injured-15-Washington-Navy-Yard-rampage-decorated-petty-officer-left-military-2011-previous-gun-charge.html

Hmmm...Hassan had those same medals. But yet he was was 'supporting' the fight against the Global War on Terrorism.

I'm fairly confident this incident does little to further the gun control debate on the national level. The Presient isn't doing so well right now and I don't think losing another battle on guns helps his approval numbers. Besides, this incident, like the shootings in Chicago, doesn't really help the left's narrative.

This sucks in so many ways.

When the "how the hell could this have happened" discussion starts, I am guessing it'll start off with installation security in general and then go to how this guy was hired by a H-P subcontractor doing NMCI work, with CAC access and reportedly a secret security clearance, despite a general discharge from the USNR for "a pattern of misconduct" and two firearm related arrests (the latter of which contributed to the general discharge). And how he got into the building with a shotgun (one report is that while all of the external entrances to W-197 had armed security, there is an unmanned door card-accessible door from the garage).

RIP to these patriots

Sources:

http://www.washingto...fec8_story.html

http://www.washingto...ry.html?hpid=z4

http://www.washingto...log-entry-18008

Edited by jcj

Thanks. It will be interesting to see if this is the final word on how he got the weopans, and if it is, how dumb it will make the anti-gun crowd look...again.

On a related note, it never ceases to amaze me that the military 'trusts' our officers and NCO's so much...just not enough to allow us to be armed while on base at home. I'm sure another Active Shooter CBT will solve everything.

• Upvote 4

MSNBC is on here at work, I'm half paying attention and could have sworn I just heard some gun control advocate say that this shooting confirms that gun control is the only answer because everyone on a Navy base would have been armed and they didn't take down the shooter. Anyone see or hear this?

If this is your first reaction to this incident, your prioties as a human being suck.

As someone who works on a base very close to the Navy Yard and was on lockdown all day, I can assure you this was not my first reaction. It was just my first reaction to share on BO.

I'm definitely thinking about the victims and their families.

DOD Press Briefing

SECDEF HAGEL: First, I directed a review of physical security and access procedures at all DOD installations worldwide. The highest responsibility leaders have is to take care of their people, and our people deserve safe and secure workplaces wherever they are.

Second, Deputy Secretary Carter will also lead a review of DOD's practices and procedures for granting and renewing security clearances, including those held by contractors. This review will be closely coordinated with other federal agencies currently examining these procedures, including the DNI and OMB.

I've also directed that an independent panel be established. This independent panel will conduct its own assessment of security at DOD facilities and our security clearance procedures and practices. The panel's work will strengthen Secretary Carter's efforts, and they will provide their findings directly to me.

[...]

Q: Do you believe that the security clearance procedures and investigations are not rigorous enough or that, for the lower- level security clearances, that that 10-year timeframe may be too long?

[...]

SECDEF HAGEL: Well, on your question regarding timeframes on security clearances and the entire specifics and components of security clearances, timeframe, the depth of the clearance, kind of clearance, access different clearances give individuals, we're going to look at all that.

[...]

Q: Why not break the mold and get involved in [...] the public debate in this country about gun violence?

[...]

SECDEF HAGEL: [...] my role is secretary of defense. I'm not involved in domestic policy issues. That's not my role; that's not my responsibility.

Edited by deaddebate