FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

For anyone who is getting denied, I'd follow up with AFPC if possible. AFPC's lists for who is eligible for what are totally jacked right now. Last Tuesday my force support section informed me AFPC ID'd me for the ESERB with only 11 years on AD.

That's funny, I'd toally jump on that ESERB.

For anyone who is getting denied, I'd follow up with AFPC if possible. AFPC's lists for who is eligible for what are totally jacked right now. Last Tuesday my force support section informed me AFPC ID'd me for the ESERB with only 11 years on AD.

No shit man, send a letter to the board begging them to SERB you. A 27.5% retirement vs this shit? No brainier!

Edited by Catbox

That's funny, I'd toally jump on that ESERB.

No shit man, send a letter to the board begging them to SERB you. A 27.5% retirement vs this shit? No brainier!

I wish. By the time personnel let me know they'd already notified AFPC of their mistake.

A quick update; I talked to AFPC today and they lady I talked to thinks that the initial reviewer (it sounds like it was literally a GS-7 secretary type) MAY have simply gone over the red/blue matrix and declared me ineligible, while not realizing that I should have fallen under the caveat about continued officers.

My faith in this getting resolved in my favor? zero...they'll just change the PSDM in the next update and say they were right all along.

AFPC and these people are the ones in charge of your lives folks...hunker down and pray.

Hey Catbox, sounds like the same lady who reviewed my initial eligibility check. I had my CC call and un-f#ck it, but my faith was also not restored.

Is the "-" in GS-7 actually a negative sign? It would explain a lot here. What we need is a GS7!

Think positive, guys.

See what I did there?

So I got this email today....clear as mud right? so my home station is saying use 14-08

Use the most current VSP (posted online) PSDM. If you are applying for VSP

then use the VSP PSDM current issue. That is the guidance I was given.

So get the most current copy of the VSP program file and fill it out that

way. Do not use any other documents unless it says in the VSP PSDM

Reality check: "eligible" for VSP/TERA is just that. You fit the category as defined in the PSDM. It does NOT mean the AF wants you out...esp if you are a 11x or 12x. AF has broadly and generally set eligibility criteria...and says they'll batch process apps at the end of every month.

There are four kinds of people left in the AF: the kind who want to be in and the AF wants in (rated)...the kind who want out but the AF wants in (also rated), the kind who want to stay but the AF wants out (road, fatties in easy jobs, those terrified of the outside but serve only to take up space in line at the med clinic), and those who want out, and the AF wants to let out (discipline problems, and A FEW rated).

VSP/TERA eligibility is broad, but approvals will be very very targeted to the types the AF wants out. Hint: it's NOT rated folks.

Interesting article from AF times today:

"22,500 face cuts this year

Security forces hardest hit

Feb. 3, 2014 - 02:34PM

The Air Force is planning to cut roughly 22,500 airmen this year alone through its massive force management programs.

According to internal documents the Air Force provided at Air Force Times’ request, 18,336 enlisted airmen and 4,166 officers are in career fields that are overmanned and will be cut through voluntary or involuntary measures.

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Welsh has repeatedly said that the steep budget cuts known as the sequester would force the service to cut up to 25,000 airmen over the next five years. But the new charts are the first indication that the bulk of those cuts will come this year.

In a Jan. 30 interview, Chief Master Sgt. Stephen White, the enlisted career field manager for security forces, confirmed that the identified cuts are planned to come in fiscal 2014.

“The Air Force is looking at making the cuts all at once,” White said. “Why do this to people every year? It’s painful, but we go through the major set of cuts this year, and airmen don’t have to worry about next year and next year.”

Enlisted security forces airmen could be hit hardest out of all career fields. The chart on the involuntary enlisted retention boards identifies 3,992 senior airmen, staff sergeants, technical sergeants and master sergeants in that career field — 15 percent of the total 26,216 security forces airmen — that are overmanned and likely to be cut. And in two charts on officer reduction-in-force and force shaping boards, 130 security forces officers are also identified as being overmanned and slated for cuts.

In a Jan. 24 Facebook post, Brig. Gen. Allen Jamerson, the director of security forces, said that the quality force reduction board cuts could drive enlisted cuts up to 5,000.

“These will be stressful times and there is not much I can say that will make any of this better,” Jamerson said. “I’m concerned for two reasons: first, this means many of you will not be able to serve much longer, and it means a significant change in the way we protect our people and AF assets. [Today is a] tough day across the Air Force.”

Already stretched

However, White said security forces officials have been talking to Welsh and other top Air Force officials about what cuts of that magnitude could mean for the service’s security. He expects the enlisted security forces cuts will be revised down to about 2,500. White did not know if the officer cuts would be revised.

Cuts of 4,000 to 5,000 security forces would have serious effects, White said. Roughly 2,500 security forces airmen are deployed around the world at any given time, he said, and reducing their ranks is not an option. Some missions, such as guarding nuclear weapons facilities, also cannot be cut, White said.

That means the security forces cuts would fall on other Air Force bases and installations around the United States, which would see considerable reductions in their security. That could mean reducing the number of law enforcement patrols, White said.

The Air Force could also be forced to rely more on local law enforcement, White said. Many bases now have memorandums of understanding with local sheriff’s departments or police departments to provide law enforcement on off-base housing, for example. The Air Force could have to renegotiate those agreements to receive more support.

White said that security forces are already stretched when groups of airmen transition to and from deployments. There is some overlap when a new group of security forces airmen deploy, and then the returning airmen require a few weeks off to rest and reconnect with their families. Those periods already put considerable strain on security forces, and the significant reductions that are in the works will worsen matters, he said.

Other hard-hit fields

It’s not just security forces facing significant cuts. The charts identify 172 enlisted career fields and 32 officer fields that have at least some overmanning that will be cut.

In the materiel management career field, 490 airmen — almost 8 percent of its total force — are slated to be cut. The pavements and construction equipment field will lose 420 airmen, or 21 percent of its total force.

The RF transmission spectrum career field will lose 616 airmen, or almost 17 percent. And 689 aircraft armament systems airmen — 10 percent of its force — will be cut, as will 520 munitions system airmen, or 8 percent. And 15 percent of the fuels career field, or 528 enlisted airmen, will be cut.

The Air Force Personnel Center said the numbers in the charts, which were dated Jan. 23, are subject to change and are updated periodically, but not weekly. AFPC also said the numbers are for general information and that airmen should get specific details from their military personnel section or AFPC, and that each airman must confirm his actual eligibility by contacting his unit leadership and military personnel section.

Airmen frustrated

Airmen across the service are growing angry and scared as they learn how massive and swift the cuts will be — especially some who have served multiple deployments at war.

“There’s no loyalty,” said one security forces officer who asked that his name and rank not be printed. “I did three deployments, I have gone through a divorce because of how much I’ve been gone. After all that we’ve done, and given, and sacrificed, the reward is a separation paycheck?”

The officer said that he and his friends are frustrated, because they don’t know if they’ll still have jobs in six months and they wish the Air Force was telling them more on what the various boards will be considering.

And morale is plunging, he said.

“I know on my side, everybody’s pinging off each other,” he said. “Everybody’s asking how does this affect you, what have you heard, what do you know? I feel like they’re leaving us out of the loop.”

White said he understands the officer’s frustrations, but budget cuts are forcing the service to make painful decisions.

“We owe it to them to ensure that we do everything we can to take care of them, as best as we can,” White said. “But with the reality of budget constraints, we have to get down to our end strength. We definitely appreciate everything they’ve done. Less than 1 percent of Americans have served, so we want to honor them. We’re trying to do the best we can.”

White said he and other officials are starting to travel to bases to talk to airmen about the cuts and answer their questions. He said he spoke with about 80 airmen for three hours Jan. 28 at Dover Air Force Base, Del.

“I look out on their faces, and I [see] concern,” he said. “Most of those guys and gals are young, and they started families, and now they’re worried about the future. So I get it. We’re going to Montana and other places starting next week, out on the road. Our goal here is to try to break the program down, so they can understand their options, and understand realistically how they would fare if we do have retention boards.”

Voluntary cuts preferred

Air Force officials have frequently said they hope to achieve most of their force cuts through voluntary measures, such as 15-year retirements, voluntary separation payments, time-in-grade and active- duty service commitment waivers, and an expanded Palace Chase program allowing airmen to serve out the rest of their careers in the Guard or Reserve.

White said he thinks many senior airmen and staff sergeants in the security forces ranks are likely to take the voluntary separation measures. But he thinks the Air Force will probably have to use involuntary boards to separate enough security forces tech sergeants and master sergeants to meet its new requirements.

But the prospect of facing a future outside of the Air Force scares the security forces officer.

“This is the only life I’ve known,” he said."

So I got this email today....clear as mud right? so my home station is saying use 14-08

When I talked with my MPF rep the other day, they said to use 13-130. Hopefully, this gets cleared up soon. Soon meaning less than 2 days.

Reality check: "eligible" for VSP/TERA is just that. You fit the category as defined in the PSDM. It does NOT mean the AF wants you out...esp if you are a 11x or 12x. AF has broadly and generally set eligibility criteria...and says they'll batch process apps at the end of every month.

There are four kinds of people left in the AF: the kind who want to be in and the AF wants in (rated)...the kind who want out but the AF wants in (also rated), the kind who want to stay but the AF wants out (road, fatties in easy jobs, those terrified of the outside but serve only to take up space in line at the med clinic), and those who want out, and the AF wants to let out (discipline problems, and A FEW rated).

VSP/TERA eligibility is broad, but approvals will be very very targeted to the types the AF wants out. Hint: it's NOT rated folks.

If they really don't want rated officers out, maybe they should revisit their overage numbers in the matrix they released.

• Upvote 1

When I talked with my MPF rep the other day, they said to use 13-130. Hopefully, this gets cleared up soon. Soon meaning less than 2 days.

13-130 is dated 24 Jan 14 & 14-08 is dated 23 Jan 14 so, technically 13-130 would be the most current. The fact that you got such a confusing email response to a simple question is stupid, but expected.

2006 was the first VSP I saw on active duty. Someone told me then, "This whole thing is a clusterf*ck and I hope that, as a young guy, you're paying attention." I'm telling the same thing to people now.

you act like they've never cut pilots before. Just because they retracted it last time doesn't mean that will happen this time. Quit pissing on my parade, I'm trying to get fired here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just got off the phone with the Total Force Service Center and they said the application procedure under 14-08 was a misprint. They said to use the process in 13-130 and sent the following:

4. VSP Application Instructions: Access the vMPF via the AFPC Secure website. Select “Apply for Voluntary Separation”, and when prompted to “Select a Separation Provision”, select “SECAF Approved Early Separation Program”. Include “I am requesting to separate under the Voluntary Separation Pay (VSP) Program” in the remarks section. Refer to the PSD Guide for application procedures and instructions at https://mypers.af.mil , then under “FSS Resources” select “Program Guides” and then select “View PSD Guide Listing”, then “Separations”. The Officer Voluntary Separation application instructions are listed in Section E of the PSD Guide.

Just got off the phone with the Total Force Service Center and they said the application procedure under 14-08 was a misprint. They said to use the process in 13-130 and sent the following:

4. VSP Application Instructions: Access the vMPF via the AFPC Secure website. Select “Apply for Voluntary Separation”, and when prompted to “Select a Separation Provision”, select “SECAF Approved Early Separation Program”. Include “I am requesting to separate under the Voluntary Separation Pay (VSP) Program” in the remarks section. Refer to the PSD Guide for application procedures and instructions at https://mypers.af.mil , then under “FSS Resources” select “Program Guides” and then select “View PSD Guide Listing”, then “Separations”. The Officer Voluntary Separation application instructions are listed in Section E of the PSD Guide.

good to know. thanks.

I just got off the phone with AFPC Total Force Service Center also and I got a completely different answer. I was told to use the first half of 13-130 and select "SECAF Approved Early Separation Program" instead of "Miscellaneous" as 14-08 suggests, BUT then I was told to use the verbiage from 14-08 that says to put "FY14 VSP Program" in the remarks section. What a total cluster .

Applying for VSP and trying to determine which separation date would be more likely to be approved. A date in the next few months getting me off the books quicker for the AF or setting it a month later which would only mean waiving 1 year of UPT ADSC?

2000 11M, not eligible for RIF but nothing says we're not eligible for VSP and we have a blue box in or matrix.

Also have GI Bill transfer ADSC that expires before UPT by a few months, think that will be an issue? Plan on flying with Reserves and will fulfill that commit there if that's an option. Don't want to pay back for my wife's MBA!

so how about we do 13-130 and both parts in the remarks?

That's what I did. I also requested to have my remaining ADSC waived without really any justification because the TFSC said we need to at least request to have the ADSC waived in the remarks, but don't need to put down any justification. I can't believe they can't just release specific instructions on how they want this done... actually I can believe it... it's AFPC.

Applying for VSP and trying to determine which separation date would be more likely to be approved. A date in the next few months getting me off the books quicker for the AF or setting it a month later which would only mean waiving 1 year of UPT ADSC?

2000 11M, not eligible for RIF but nothing says we're not eligible for VSP and we have a blue box in or matrix.

Also have GI Bill transfer ADSC that expires before UPT by a few months, think that will be an issue? Plan on flying with Reserves and will fulfill that commit there if that's an option. Don't want to pay back for my wife's MBA!

I'm guessing if you're going to be approved, the separation date won't matter as long as it's before 29 September. If they're implementing a program this poorly at the macro level, I'd be shocked if they're doing the accounting to figure savings & eligibility by separation date at the micro level.

Edited by BamaC-21
  • Upvote 1

So I check my TERA app today, and it has a new status..."FM-Hold Pending Review". Anyone know if this is standard verbiage when they are looking at it, or have the rash of denials due to bullshit reasons caused a shitstorm that they are reviewing.

//rant on//

*Bullshit reasons being "AEF bucket" when 11R/12R are enablers and have never been in a bucket, and continued guys (I'm one of em) being told the year group is ineligilbe when they already confirmed that we are eligible because we are continued guys. WTF was the ten business days to review eligibility all about! If they are going to play douchebag games, at least show some imagination, like, "Denied due to the Jupiter's third moon being in phase with Mercury".

//rant off//

So I check my TERA app today, and it has a new status..."FM-Hold Pending Review". Anyone know if this is standard verbiage when they are looking at it, or have the rash of denials due to bullshit reasons caused a shitstorm that they are reviewing.

What year group are you? Is your year group/AFSC red on the matrix? You've gotten further in the process than anyone else I know. Edited by Catbox

I just want to throw out a bit of a reality check to those who have applied for TERA or are planning on applying for VSP. I know Chang has been on here several times saying that the AF is fat on 11Ms and just flat out does not need Field Grade/gray beard pilots to go fly the line like we all had "back in the day". There are three of us in my office at Staff who are all 11M FGOs who have met all gate months and have 1 assignment left to hit 20 (1 guy has 5 yrs left, but close enough). 1 of us applied for TERA and the other 2 requested a 1 year extension at Staff... all 3 were denied and all 3 of us are now going back to an Ops Sq this summer. I was the TERA guy and was pissed about getting denied (just because it was the classic bait and switch, but figured it was too good of a deal to pass up), but hell... my last assignment will be flying and I'll be writing my OPRs in crayon from here on out so I really can't complain.

Point is that if they are taking guys who are Staff FGOs with all of their gates complete and sending us back to Ops Sqs to fly the line then you probably need to be realistic about the possibility of them releasing anyone with an 11 AFSC no matter what the matrix says. When I got orders to Staff my buddy was the functional and told me that unfortunately the chances of me ever flying again without volunteering for a flying 365 were just about zero... but now in less than 3 years I will be back in an Ops Squadron flying the line. I'm sure there will be a few 11 types that will be released, but it will probably be a pretty low number. Good luck to everyone who has applied for TERA or is about to apply for VSP... I really hope it works out for all of you in the end!

Edited by Rusty Pipes

Catbox, I'm a 98 11R passed over O-4. At KOFF we've already had a few guys denied, but the reasons given haven't made any sense. As passed over, we're supposed to be eligible and AFPC confirmed eligibility, but then denied claiming they were not eligible. Was told one guy called, talked to someone there, and got put back in the pool to get looked at again. Who knows at this point? Doubt the folks at AFPC even know.

Rusty,

You speak truth. I guess I convinced myself that I could fly under the radar on this one and hoped the "personnel professionals" were approve-happy before someone engaged their brain. Cause you know, big blue can have a captain doing what I do for less coin, right Chang. I haven't been denied yet, but I'm not too hopeful at this point. At least it got me moving on airline apps and such.

• Upvote 1