Retirement of Secretary of the Air Force Michael Donley

Retirement of Secretary of the Air Force Michael Donley

DOD News Links 1 2

There were some rumors of who might replace Secretary Donley back in April shortly after he first announced his retirement, but it seems the last few months have gone by fairly quietly regarding this transition.

Of moderate newsworthiness, as reported when he was previously appointed and now re-addressed as the new acting Secretary, Under Secretary Eric Fanning, is openly gay. I doubt this needs much, if any, discussion, though it is mentionable.

Any opinions on his departure, rumors of change, or discussion of replacements?

Reposted from the WTF thread...more appropriate here:

I agree that his sexual orientation or the sexual orientation of anyone serving is irrelevant. The problem I have is how we not only identify, but glorify a group of people based on any "sexual" orientation, yet we seem to have a problem with "sexuality" of the heterosexual kind in the workplace in DoD. So, homosexuals come to work identifying themselves as "homosexual," we call it diversity and tolerance. If I, a flaming male lesbian, were to come to work bragging about how much I love women, they call it sexual harassment or inappropriate talk in the workplace. With all the news in the media today about sexual abuse, sexual harassment, sexual assault, why is anyone's "sexuality" being celebrated as if it is ok to say "I love cock" in the workplace. Gay people are (mostly) only identifiable because they tell you they are gay. Why is that ok, but it is not ok for me to celebrate my love of boobies by telling people at work?? THAT double standard is what I have a problem with....

• Upvote 6

Gay people are (mostly) only identifiable because they tell you they are gay. Why is that ok, but it is not ok for me to celebrate my love of boobies by telling people at work?? THAT double standard is what I have a problem with....

The fact that you can't separate the statements "I am gay" and "I love boobies" is the exact reason we have to have a day full of SAPR briefings. If you got in trouble for saying you were straight, that would be a double standard. If you came to work telling everyone how much you loved to suck dick, and it made another dude uncomfortable to hear that, then yes, you would probably get in trouble.

I have to sit through this goddamn briefing 50 times a year and listen to "culture change" because of people like you. You are the culture they're trying to change. So, thanks for that.

Coming up on my 20th year in the AF, I have no real idea of WTF the SECAF actually does. The last one I heard speak was Roach, and all I could do was stand and marvel at the two largest desert flight suits ever made. That were ruthlessly torn apart and reconstructed into this massive tan thing covering Jabba the Hut as he tried to motivate we merry few occupying that small bit of Afghanistan. I was further distracted by the smaller folk getting closer and closer before I realized he was generating his own gravitational field, and starting throwing rescue ropes to help out.

Seriously, civilian control, yadda yadda yadda, WTF does the SECAF do?

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

Nominee for SecAF:

http://www.af.mil/Ne...-secretary.aspx

bio_james_0.jpg

http://www.saic.com/...rship/james-bio

Attributes:

"supervising a 100-plus-person staff"!!

"Debbie has a bachelor's degree in comparative studies from Duke University and a master's degree in international affairs from Columbia University."

-Only 1 AAD? For shame.

Oh good she's from Columbia, I wonder what her views on the military are like. Although being the former "executive vice president for communications and government affairs, responsible for media relations, marketing communications, congressional affairs, policy analysis, compliance with laws governing engagement with public officials, corporate responsibility, and community relations" (how the hell you fit that on a business card I don't know) maybe she can help us with our SAPR image.

• Upvote 1

Oh good she's from Columbia, I wonder what her views on the military are like. Although being the former "executive vice president for communications and government affairs, responsible for media relations, marketing communications, congressional affairs, policy analysis, compliance with laws governing engagement with public officials, corporate responsibility, and community relations" (how the hell you fit that on a business card I don't know) maybe she can help us with our SAPR image.

Followed links to her bio on the SAIC website. Did you all know that Jumper is the CEO of SAIC?

http://www.saic.com/about/leadership/jumper-bio

More proof that the Military-Industrial Complex is going strong.

• 1 month later...

I can't remember if there was already a thread devoted to the new SecAF nominee, but I'll put this here anyway:

D. James is undergoing Senate Armed Services Committee confirmation hearings today. Here are her prepared responses to the standard questions the committee sent earlier. It reads like a resume and political science exam blended together. It is generally fairly non-confrontational and she's deflected some of the sharper questions.

Below are the highlights I saw.

If confirmed, what broad priorities will you establish?

If confirmed, I will focus on three broad priorities. First, I will be committed to taking care of people. This priority includes: recruiting and training a quality force; focusing on ending the blight of sexual assault in the Air Force; finding the right balance between the active duty, reserve component, and civilian Airmen who make up the Total Force; and taking care of Airmen and military families.

Second, if confirmed, I will make it a priority to balance today’s readiness with tomorrow’s modernization needs, while supporting the requirements of combatant commanders. The nuclear enterprise will receive special attention as will increasing confidence in the acquisition process.

Third, if confirmed, I will work to ensure that the world’s best Air Force is the most capable and at the lowest possible cost to the taxpayer.

[...]

What is your assessment of the impact a 1 percent pay raise would have on recruiting and retention in the Air Force for 2014? What would be the impact of a 1 percent pay raise in 2015 through 2017?

I believe military compensation is, and must remain, competitive to sustain the recruitment and retention of high caliber men and women to meet readiness requirements and accomplish the national security mission; however, in light of the current economic crisis and overall reductions in defense spending, the Air Force must look at balancing personnel costs to avoid reductions to force structure and modernization efforts critical to support the warfighter and national defense.

In the short term, I am hopeful that a 1% pay raise will have a negligible impact upon overall recruiting and retention. I believe that sustained pay raises below Employment Cost Index (ECI) warrant close monitoring of the force, given the expected improvements in the economy.

[...]

What is your view about the role of the chain of command in changing the military culture in which these sexual assaults have occurred?

In my view, the chain of command has, and should retain, ultimate responsibility for the morale, welfare, good order, discipline, and effectiveness of military units. In the past the chain of command has been effective in dealing with issues such as racial integration, drug use during the Vietnam War, and “Don’t Ask-Don’t Tell” policy. We need to ensure they place the same focus and emphasis on sexual assault. The chain of command must be held directly responsible for the climate and behavior of their airmen and women. They must be given both the incentives and the tools to ensure a climate of respect permeates their command.

In your view, what would be the impact of requiring a judge advocate outside the chain of command to determine whether allegations of sexual assault should be prosecuted?

I have not found sufficient evidence to support the proposal that removing commanders from the UCMJ process and replacing them with judge advocates outside the chain of command will improve the sexual assault response or accountability processes.

Judge advocates are already a huge part of the process. I have been briefed that in nearly every case in the last three years Air Force commanders agreed with their SJAs’ recommendations to send allegations of sexual assault to court-martial. Therefore, it does not appear that removing commanders from their UCMJ disposition role will result in a large increase in prosecutions.

Additionally, I do not believe we can solve the sexual assault problem by reducing commanders’ authority to hold Airmen accountable. The challenge we face regarding sexual assault in the military is complex and requires commanders be fully involved in its solution. Rather than remove commanders’ authority to send Airmen to a court-martial for committing sexual assault, I believe commanders must be held more accountable for failing to adequately respond to sexual assaults in their units or for failing to maintain a healthy unit climate necessary to safeguard against the rise of sexual assault. Commanders must be fostering an environment in which victims are encouraged to report any crimes and feel safeguarded from any risk of reprisal or career consequences.

[...]

Do you consider the Air Force’s current sexual assault policies and procedures, particularly those on confidential reporting, to be effective?

The policies are broad and appear comprehensive yet not enough victim’s report – so more needs to be done to ensure victims understand that if a crime occurs, the Air Force will hold those responsible accountable for their crime. The Air Force also needs to make clear that it is never the victim’s fault and that in addition to prosecution, the Air Force is committed to providing compassionate care for victims and protecting them against any risk of retaliation.

[...]

If confirmed, what additional steps would you take to remove these barriers to reporting sexual assaults?

If confirmed, I will build on the core values of the Air Force by demanding an environment that identifies perpetrators and holds them appropriately accountable, a climate where victims feel empowered to come forward to report this crime.

Additionally, I believe commanders should be “graded” on their performance reports for the sexual assault reporting climate in their unit.

[...]

Do you agree that if sequestration continues through Fiscal Year 2014 and beyond, the Air Force will need to further reduce the size of its civilian workforce?

This seems extremely likely, in my opinion.

[...]

The B-1s, B-2s, and B-52s will begin to be retired in the 2030 time frame.

When do you believe that the United States needs to develop a new manned bomber?

I understand the new bomber is in the top 3 of Air Force modernization priorities. Given the aging bomber fleet and what I understand about the nature of the future threat environment it is important that the Air Force make the appropriate investments today to ensure a viable warfighting capability in the mid-2020 timeframe.

Also, she said:

The Air Force developed the Bill of Rights for all Airmen, ensuring they understand how they should be treated and how to treat others.
What the hell is this? I don't remember seeing this in on the AF Portal's "drink our blue kool-aid" links.

50% of the questions are about sexual assault. I guess this is the AF's greatest threat in the mind of these bozos? Never mind retention, sequestration, old iron, civilian layoffs, and dozens of other problems - 1 in 1000 Airmen might face the possibility of being sexually assaulted. Something must be done, pronto!

50% of the questions are about sexual assault. I guess this is the AF's greatest threat in the mind of these bozos? Never mind retention, sequestration, old iron, civilian layoffs, and dozens of other problems - 1 in 1000 Airmen might face the possibility of being sexually assaulted. Something must be done, pronto!

A liberal appointed a liberal...and you're surprised?

It's like gun control--something like .003% of gun owners kill people which then results in the left screaming for more gun control/less Rights for the 99.997% and in a hurry. I'm sure whatever new policies put in place by our new (oncr confirrmed) SecAF will solve all of our problems with sexual assualt.

A liberal appointed a liberal...and you're surprised?

It's like gun control--something like .003% of gun owners kill people which then results in the left screaming for more gun control/less Rights for the 99.997% and in a hurry. I'm sure whatever new policies put in place by our new (oncr confirrmed) SecAF will solve all of our problems with sexual assualt.

I wouldn't be so quick to condemn... She does not control the questions put to her (the committee does) and she said she's against taking convening authority away from commanders, which is no small thing (not going to score her any points with Senators Gillibrand or McCaskill).

I wouldn't be so quick to condemn... She does not control the questions put to her (the committee does) and she said she's against taking convening authority away from commanders, which is no small thing (not going to score her any points with Senators Gillibrand or McCaskill).

I wasn't condemning her per se, just stating my opinion that a liberal appointed a liberal (my guess anyway)...then again Hagel isn't a liberal, though he was moderate enough to get through the Senate. How things will exactly go once she is confirmed will have to await to be seen.

In the end, unlike Sen Gillibrand and Sen McCaskill who answer to their constituents (barely), the SecAF and the like answer to the POTUS. If they do something he doesn't like then he can fire/replace them as necessary.

Transcript of the earlier hearing has been published. There are only two additional things I saw.

It seemeds like Sen. Wicker did a very good job at focusing on the problems of his own state and ensuring Keesler provides all possible jobs it can to support his next re-election campaign.

Senator WICKER. Thank you. And, as we discussed last week, I’m very proud of all of our installations in Mississippi. I particularly would call to your attention Keesler Air Force Base, which won the Air Force Installation Excellence Award, the leading Air Force Base in the entire Air Force.

I’m committed to ensuring that Keesler, which is a training base, maintain a flying mission. If confirmed, will you work with me to ensure that Keesler maintains an enduring flying mission?

Ms. JAMES. So, what I know of Keesler is all topnotch, and I look forward to visiting Keesler—with you, I hope. You said perhaps that we [...] should do that, could do that, so I welcome that opportunity.

Senator WICKER. Thank you very much.

Some discussion on BRAC:
Senator HAGAN. This committee’s markup of the fiscal year ’14 NDAA prohibits authorization of a future Base Realignment and Closure round until, at the very least, that DOD completes and submits to Congress a formal review of the overseas military facilities structure. And the committee is signaling, and I firmly believe, that the Department does need to prioritize domestic military bases over foreign bases, especially when you look at the fiscally constrained environment that we’re in.

And, once again, Ms. James, and the last question for you, what are your thoughts on this issue? And do you agree that we should continue to take a hard look at our overseas military facilities before considering looking at similar actions back home?

Ms. JAMES. So, I do agree we need to take a very strong look at the overseas bases, and I believe that that review is ongoing. So, I’ll have to look into the due date of that review, but that is happening. With respect to the overall base-closure issue, I will say that I have been briefed and I do believe that there is excess capacity in all of the military services. I believe the Air Force has put that excess capacity at about 20 to 24 percent [of U.S. Air Force bases worldwide]. [...] we need to reduce infrastructure as best as possible across the board.

• 2 weeks later...

James' nomination is still waiting for Sen Ayotte to release her block, pending further questioning regarding A-10 replacement by the F-35. Apparently she feels the AF is premature in adopting the F-35, particularly due to the Guards' high dependence on the A-10.

http://breakingdefense.com/2013/10/08/sen-ayotte-to-air-force-get-me-a-10-answers-keeps-secaf-nominee-hold/

http://thehill.com/blogs/defcon-hill/air-force/327267-ayotte-keeps-hold-on-air-force-secretary-nominee

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/09/26/senator-blocks-secafs-nomination-over-a10-cuts.html

What pisses me off is here is two-fold.

1) Congress put the AF in the situation they're in having to look at drastic cuts like this. If they had their shit together and could pass a budget the A-10 would be perfectly fine for the foreseeable future until a real equivalent capability came along.

2) I sincerely doubt the opposition to cutting the A-10 has anything to do with the safety of troops, but everything to do with jobs in certain congressional districts. Again, if safety of the troops was the real concern then congress would not have put the DoD in the situation they're in.

The A-10 is my favorite f-cking jet in the inventory, I don't want to see it go. But if that's the response needed to answer to the drastic lack of dollars then so be it. Although, again - were it not for congress I'm sure the AF could easily cut 20% of it's spending and still hack the mission with A-10s and F-35s and new bombers too... But every time they come up with a worthwhile option to do so some representative has a hissy-fit about losing money in their district and prohibits it.

zb

OK, I respect the way she essentially says, "guys, I'm not gonna do anything drastic until I get the lay of the land and see how things go." One of the marks of a good commander, unless things have seriously gone Lord of the Flies.

What I cannot stand: The SECAF is the civilian in charge of the entire AF. Am I missing something, or has she not even served in the military at all? Or even the civilian aerospace industry?

I used to check myself as an LT thinking I could do a better job as SECAF than he/she could. I'm genuinely starting to thing that a decent (real, full-time, top-tier) masters in economics, combined with a former O-3 patch in any community, would/will always be more qualified than the idiots we appoint. Thanks, America. I guess I we get the government we deserve.

What I cannot stand: The SECAF is the civilian in charge of the entire AF. Am I missing something, or has she not even served in the military at all? Or even the civilian aerospace industry?

I used to check myself as an LT thinking I could do a better job as SECAF than he/she could. I'm genuinely starting to thing that a decent (real, full-time, top-tier) masters in economics, combined with a former O-3 patch in any community, would/will always be more qualified than the idiots we appoint. Thanks, America. I guess I we get the government we deserve.

I disagree with that criteria. You know, a masters in Econ from a top tier program usually means you failed out of a PhD program. And how does being a patch make you qualified to make long term, sweeping health of the fleet/force over 20+ years type of decisions?

If anything, my number one criteria would be someone who actually isn't beholden to the military-industrial complex that can actually make those difficult, objective decisions and stay free of lobbying influences and corruption. But that's just IMHO.