Brit's buy 3 RC-135's

StoleIt

From another site:

They have been assigned these RAF serial numbers:

ZZ664 (KC-135R 64-14833 c/n 18773)

ZZ665 (KC-135R 64-14838 c/n 18778)

ZZ666 (KC-135R 64-14840 c/n 18780)

The aircraft have been converted from a trio of 1964-vintage Boeing KC-135 Stratotankers which had been sitting in the boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFB.

That's news to me, I flew -14838 a couple times this past summer.

Public (though perhaps not "publicized") knowledge for over two years now. We've been training the Brit crews at the RJ schoolhouse since about two years ago, we have exchange officers in both countries' units, and we've been flying blended crews to gain the Brits some experience.

From another site:

That's news to me, I flew -14838 a couple times this past summer.

"2!" I was surprised to read those tail numbers. There are a bunch of low-time E-models that just got to the Boneyard, probably lower time fliers than -14838. Wonder how much it would cost to modify that for what the Brit's need. Not to mention all of the low-time EC-135s the AF retired around the same time as the F-111 that had anywhere between 13-20,000 hours on them.

One of the big reasons that those tails were chosen is because they are in the same production run as half of the current RJs that are flying. L3 figured that it would be easier to retrofit them having "more similar" airframes rather than tails spread across multiple production years.

(null)

Hmmm, very logical. I mean, an aux pump from a 58 model is entirely different than a 64 model.

My post was entirely sarcastic.

Its not the components it is the structure and block #'s of the 64 models. The old W models were 62 models which 5 former C-135B's were converted into RC's tail numbers 62-4125 to 62-4130. Those tails never had the plumbing or boom ever installed on them. Numerous 62 models in the AMARC now in a KC-135A configuration. Since those 3 air-frames were already a R, CFM powered it was probably more a cost saving measure.