Hurricane Sandy

HU&W

Does the headline "Searching for the Captain of the HMS Bounty" seem a little out of century? Next on CNN: The Effects of the Seven Years War on Cotton Prices.

DC got lucky. NJ didn't.

Some friends in NYC/LI said they were told they would be out of power for 7-10 days.

Power is still out at my house in PA. Lost all my patio furniture (and probably some other stuff that my wife didn't know I had outside). I'm sure I'll find more loss/damage once I get home. Neighbor lost the last tree in his yard; thankfully it fell away from our houses and into the open field behind his back yard. It's great hearing about these things via text msg from across the pond...

NYC got beat to shit. ALL tunnels to NJ are flooded to some degree. The subway system is swamped. The pit at WTC had/has water flowing like Niagara through it. A flooded neighborhood in Queens burned, 50+ homes gone. There's a ship washed ashore in a park on Staten Island (granted it's a small one, but still...)

The Jersey shore got beat to shit, north to south. One of the amusement piers in Seaside Heights is now wreckage in the surf (one can only hope MTV just says "fuckit" and pulls the plug early). The Boardwalk in Atlantic City is destroyed in many places. I saw a picture from a friend's FB page of a convenience store in Avalon that has water almost to the tops of the entry doors.

Relatives in WV have close to 2ft of snow in their area.

Here or WTF thread, flip a coin. Global warming (the libs still use this phrase?) at fault for Hurricane Sandy, according to Huffington: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/george-lakoff/sandy-climate-change_b_2042871.html?utm_hp_ref=politics&ir=Politics

As is usually the case, the comments at the end are more entertaining than the article.

http://mashable.com/2012/10/30/sandy-space-shuttle-enterprise/

Of all the places we could have put a shuttle (Houston, anyone?) they leave Enterprise outside to ROT on the deck of the Intrepid. Less than six months later it is damaged by severe weather. Disgusting. Enterprise should be re-located indoors immediately.

We are getting some crazy weather even way out here in WI. I heard on the news we had 54mph winds this morning and 20+ foot waves on Lake Michigan! I am waiting to see the pictures of goofballs in drysuits surfing in Milwaukee.

Like I said, people surfing in Milwaukee:

404689_476414902403848_2103585434_n.jpg

Here's another one but it won't imbed for some reason:

http://www.trust.org...90-7c05bd3853fa

And some gnarly stuff 30 miles north in Port Washington:

tumblr_mcql72cm1B1r4s3qfo1_1280.jpg

For comparison, it usually looks like this:

Milw-Bradford-Beach-809937.jpg

snow-at-the-port-washington-breakwater-lighthouse.jpg

Edited by spaceman

Almost belongs in the WTF thread...

SEASIDE HEIGHTS, NEW JERSEY (WAFF) -

The hurricane-ravaged east coast has been receiving north Alabama help, but crews learned they could not help out in New Jersey unless they affiliated with a union. Crews from Decatur Utilities headed up there this week, but Derrick Moore, one of the Decatur workers, said they were told by crews in New Jersey that they can't do any work there since they're not union employees. The general manager of Decatur Utilities, Ray Hardin told Fox Business they were presented documents from the International Brotherhood of Electric Workers at a staging area in Virginia. The documents stated they had to affiliate with a union to work, which the crews could not agree to. The crews were originally called to Seaside Heights, but they never made it to New Jersey. They attempted to look for work in other areas but made the decision Thursday night to return home. Moore said they're frustrated being told "thanks, but no thanks." Huntsville Utilities said they were not turned away and are up in storm ravaged areas working. Joe Wheeler EMC said they did not respond to New Jersey, but did go up to Maryland and headed home once they were done.

http://www.waff.com/...-sandy-recovery