Report Slams Military's Recent Camouflage Uniforms

GearDownNoGreen

Decent article about the decade-long camouflage uniform screw up that has seemed to plague every service but the Marines.

The Air Force has had its own uniform failings, namely, developing a combat uniform that wasn't built for airmen to wear off base, and one roundly mocked by their sister services.

Marines still wear the Marine Corps Combat Utility Uniform the service started fielding in June 2002. The Corps spent $319,000 to develop the MCCCU uniform -- significantly less than the Army and Air Force, which spent $3.2 million on the ACU and $3.1 million on the ABU respectively.

The worst is the Navy camo, assuming it works. If you fall overboard, how are they supposed to find you? Seriously. You don't need camo because noone is aiming at you, they're aiming for the ######ING BOAT.

I heard rumors when it first came out that it automatically turned orange when submerged in saltwater. Now that I'm a little wiser...I'm pretty sure that was total BS.

Terrible waste of money.

On the same note, why do we have to change the company that makes flight suits every 6-9 days? (or so it seems) Watch out for the recent batch made by Carter Industries. The stitching falls out after one wash. Two brand new bags, both are falling apart at the seams. Litterally!

I have several from two years ago made by Equa Industries. Still going rock solid.

• Upvote 1

Was looking for some info on ABU wear since I just got my first set yesterday and found this. Interesting read at the bottom about the ABU development fiasco.

Was going to link that myself. For you bag wearers, that's the reason I get mad you wear flight suits when not flying.

Because leadership makes shit decisions for our uniform because they don't wear it! It's terrible even inside in non-combat! Wearing it once a week is fine for the stars who brought us this thing (when addressing Amn, photo ops, etc). I really didn't care that much about staff-weenies rocking their PJ's until I started wearing this tiger-stripped disaster.

They fit terribly and never get comfortable like the BDU's did after a few washes. it's like I'm constantly pulling on cardboard when I get ready for work.

You also have to try on each set you buy since it's a toss up if they cut the sleeves/legs to the right length.

I was super excited when Comm Officers became 17D/Cyber Ops because I thought we'd be getting bags at some point. I mean, we're ops right? Just like missileers and space jocks. Well, we all know how that turned out.

I would love to have BDU's back. Sure I have to iron a little, and make the boots stay black. But at least I could have patches (you know - heritage & morale) and waterproof boots. Or hell, just let us all wear OCP/multcam, I've heard nothing bad about that uniform.

Also: bring back Squadron hats. :rock:

and one roundly mocked by their sister services.

We already get trashed enough for losing our way and trying to sit at the "we're all warriors" table. This f*cking uniform thing is additional nonsense I get at work constantly now.

The "aquaflage" looks like the original wear test AF leadership started in 2005. But it got mocked so hard they had to drop it. At least the navy went full digital instead of sticking with this stupid and useless tiger-stripe infatuation.

http://www.af.mil/ph...yID=231&page=18

Edited by 17D_guy

"The report did not address the Navy's blue working uniform, which is referred to by troops as "aquaflage."

Why the hell not? I can just hear the conversation: "Every other service has a new uniform, we need one!!"... what a waste.

Just passed my 20 year threshold of Active/Reserve time and one of my primary goals is to never buy that POS uniform before I jump ship.

ATIS

Edited by ATIS

Terrible waste of money.

On the same note, why do we have to change the company that makes flight suits every 6-9 days? (or so it seems) Watch out for the recent batch made by Carter Industries. The stitching falls out after one wash. Two brand new bags, both are falling apart at the seams. Litterally!

I have several from two years ago made by Equa Industries. Still going rock solid.

This! Equa made the best fitting flight suits out there. Too bad they went out of business.

"The report did not address the Navy's blue working uniform, which is referred to by troops as "aquaflage."

Why the hell not? I can just hear the conversation: "Every other service has a new uniform, we need one!!"... what a waste.

Just passed my 20 year threshold of Active/Reserve time and one of my primary goals is to never buy that POS uniform before I jump ship.

ATIS

My understanding is that the Navy's pattern was designed to hide paint stains (no bullshit, that was the explanation I got). Even still, that uniform should AT LEAST be reversible to something high vis so when you fall off the bo-at you have a reasonable chance of being seen and picked up.

As for the Air Force disaster of a uniform-- I had to wear it a few times at SOS (after getting the rank updated from 2Lt and getting wings sewn on). I feel REALLY sorry for non-bag wearers who are stuck in that heap of shit. I thought the bag was hot and didn't breathe well. The ABU is a whole new level of pain. And speaking of pain, maybe it was just because I had a fresh-ish set, but by the end of the afternoon that "uniform" had about sawed my balls clean off from chaffing.

Any reasonable person (regardless of service, or even being in the military AT ALL) can see that this "we have to have our own uniform" nonsense has to go. There should be ONE utility uniform DOD wide, differentiated only by the patches and nametapes. That way you have the economy of scale going for you, as well as substantially simplified logistics. Utility/combat uniforms are not where services should be distinctive-- that's what the service uniform is for.

• Upvote 4

...But I liked going to CST and wearing ABUs with multicam IOTVs and ACU helmet covers and ammo pouches. Really though, the ACU pissed me off the most because the Army had a legitimate need for a tactical uniform. What does the ACU camouflage you against? Gravel pits? Sheet rock? The walls of a cubicle?

The multicams were really effective; you'd literally lose site of overwatch teams even when you knew exactly where they were. I think the reason they took so long to catch on is because they look a lot like a dirtier, just-rolled-in-the-mud version of the BDU without the black and the Army didn't want to reinvent the wheel when what they really needed was a wheel.

• Upvote 1

Terrible waste of money.

2 same. Within a month of getting 2 new pair, both had been into our AFE shop (twice) to sew up the stitching...total POS!

Additionally..

DuffleBlog: Navy Praises Blue Digital Uniforms After Two Sailors Lost At Sea

San Diego, CA – In an announcement today at Naval Base San Diego, the commander of the US Pacific Fleet (COMPACFLT) remarked that he was extremely proud of the “versatility and usefulness of the Navy Working Uniform (NWU).”

The uniform, which resembles the Marines’ desert and green colored digital MARPAT design, was introduced in 2008 amid controversy over its necessity for naval personnel.

“What the hell are we going to blend into with a blue camouflage pattern?” asked CT2 Brian Nathan, a sailor aboard the USS Makin Island. “I mean seriously — we’re in the Navy for chrissakes. We’re not pulling ninja moves on al Qaeda in the ocean.”

Despite sailor gripes over the change, the NWU was added to the long list of required clothing items — now estimated between 48 and 64 different uniforms.

“If they add any more fucking uniforms, I may have to sleep on the floor so there’s room in the coffin rack for the 3 seabags I need,” said HN Benjamin Rodriquez, a Corpsman who also has the honor of buying Navy and Marine Corps uniforms, bringing his total closer to 100.

Admiral Cecil D. Haney said that despite a few hiccups, sailors liked the uniform, saying that it was able to withstand more wear and tear as well as cover what some call BOSNIA, or Big Ol’ Standard Navy Issue Ass.

“This is the best working uniform we’ve ever had. There’s no question,” said Haney. “Sailors are able to work in a comfortable and durable uniform — and there’s also the benefit of camouflage protection from enemy observation.”

Haney continued to stress the importance of camoflauging Naval personnel at sea, even after a reporter asked “why that matters when they’re on a huge fucking gray ship.”

“Listen, this isn’t just me talking here. We have real data from our boys deployed right now,” said Haney. “In fact, we had two sailors go overboard just the other day off the USS Bonhomme Richard, and no one could spot them in the water. This design is fantastic!”

When pressed for more information on the two sailors lost at sea, the Admiral shrugged off any criticism.

“I’m sure they’re fine. I mean come on, we’ve got swim qual[ification]!” remarked Haney. “And not only that, these bad boys [the NWU trousers] can be used as a flotation device.”

Tragically, TDB learned that during a rescue attempt, the two sailors were shot after being mistaken as an enemy boarding party by Captain Erik King of the USS Haditha.

• Upvote 3

Even still, that uniform should AT LEAST be reversible to something high vis so when you fall off the bo-at you have a reasonable chance of being seen and picked up.

I don't think it matters much, you don't see much more than someone's nugget and shoulders when they are in the water.

I don't think it matters much, you don't see much more than someone's nugget and shoulders when they are in the water.

Or like there's time to do a wardrobe change. Ships move pretty quickly through the water, and most time people go overboard it's unnoticed at first...

Having worn the MultiCam A2CU downrange, I can say it's vastly superior to both the bag and the ABU (GTFO, right?). Granted the shirt is not sewn to the pants (sorry pointy-nose guys), but the cut, the material, the design and the camo pattern are all more effective for both flight (without a G-suit) and daily ground ops. And, OBTW, there's plenty of space for patches.

The single-source solution for all branches should be MultiCam ACUs for shoeclerks and A2CUs for aviators. All that remains is to make a 1-piece pajama for the ejection seat dudes.

• Upvote 1

Or like there's time to do a wardrobe change. Ships move pretty quickly through the water, and most time people go overboard it's unnoticed at first...

Experienced two of those incidents during my carrier days. First one they found trying to make a swim for Hong Kong (with some Snickers bars for survival), the other they never found. Both cases, Man Overboard wasn't sounded for hours after going over the side and someone finally noticed. The ocean is a big F-ing place to get lost in.

Collin

Collin

Edited by ATIS

Having worn the MultiCam A2CU downrange, I can say it's vastly superior to both the bag and the ABU (GTFO, right?). Granted the shirt is not sewn to the pants (sorry pointy-nose guys), but the cut, the material, the design and the camo pattern are all more effective for both flight (without a G-suit) and daily ground ops. And, OBTW, there's plenty of space for patches.

The single-source solution for all branches should be MultiCam ACUs for shoeclerks and A2CUs for aviators. All that remains is to make a 1-piece pajama for the ejection seat dudes.

Agree, now that we are back from our latest OEF tour, I have to switch back to the ACU/A2CU and then convert all of our flight gear back to the ACU pattern. Why not pick one earth tone color and stick with that for the flight gear? The Army Combat Shirt (ACS) is a fun one too, we can only wear it at the aircraft. Pretty easy in my Navy days, pickle suit for both flying and non-flying days, work uniform standing watches. (That got crazy at times, lovis patches Mon-Thurs, Friday was hi-vis/colored shirt day)

This is why flight deck crews wear float coats and cranials and why our helmets are taped up with reflective tape.

Was going to link that myself. For you bag wearers, that's the reason I get mad you wear flight suits when not flying.

Because leadership makes shit decisions for our uniform because they don't wear it! It's terrible even inside in non-combat! Wearing it once a week is fine for the stars who brought us this thing (when addressing Amn, photo ops, etc). I really didn't care that much about staff-weenies rocking their PJ's until I started wearing this tiger-stripped disaster.

Blues are a terrible uniform too and generals wear them all the time...I know one guy even decided everyone should wear them on Mondays

I was super excited when Comm Officers became 17D/Cyber Ops because I thought we'd be getting bags at some point. I mean, we're ops right? Just like missileers and space jocks. Well, we all know how that turned out.

You are kidding right...

Blues are a terrible uniform too and generals wear them all the time...I know one guy even decided everyone should wear them on Mondays

At the pentagon. I've never seen Generals/Senior officers outside of that fine establishment wear anything but bags the vast majority of the time. You've seen officers show up in blues just 'cause they wanted to? Sounds like a CSAF we just had. That guy as you mention, was a douche.

You are kidding right...

Uh, no. It's a question the AFSPC CC and Chief addressed directly in briefings at my base and in a personal meeting.

Edited by 17D_guy

• 8 months later...