Landing Fees at O'Hare

Hey just looking for some input regarding the landing fees from people who have been into some of the larger airports on XCs.

We've got two T-6s looking to head up to Chicago this weekend and it looks like the DoD contractor at KMDW has shut down, meaning we have to head into O'Hare if we want to make it. I guess most city airports (JFK, LaGuardia, LAX, etc) charge a fee or tax for landing. Signature quoted $350 for a Pilatus landing there (no handling or ramp fees for Mil) but I'm wondering if the city waves that fee for us. They're not entirely sure at Signature so I'm wondering if any of you all have flown into O'Hare or other city airports and what you've found.

Cheers. :beer:

Checking the Mil Contract Fuel link on the main Baseops page shows Landmark aviation still having the contract fuel at Midway. If they actually lost the contract, a bunch others at Midway take the AirCard so you'd still be able to get gas.

Linky

Yeah they actually shut down that whole FBO is the story I got from Landmark's office. Good point on the card though, might save us just paying non-contract price at Midway rather than the city's landing fees at O'Hare.

KDPA or KARR might support you. Why not KMKE?

Many years since Glenview and MDW stops in the C-9 were std.

KORD, suggest not. Been there plenty in civil & mil jets.

edit:

Since Landmark is red/closed in airsea, you could see if the others have ramp space, all should take the card. When I was a kid, lots of a/c parked on the ANG south ramp on the weekends at MDW.

UGN has Landmark listed as contract.

Edited by moosepileit

UGN

PWK

DPA

LOT

IGQ

GYY

One of those places should have a contract (I know that UGN had one but it's been a while), and will be much closer to your trip downtown.

I'm all for a push-it-up play. I made a sport of it in UPT. But what you're suggesting is like trying to get a ppr in the middle of a Red Flag recovery. Dumb.

UGN

PWK

DPA

LOT

IGQ

GYY

One of those places should have a contract (I know that UGN had one but it's been a while), and will be much closer to your trip downtown.

I'm all for a push-it-up play. I made a sport of it in UPT. But what you're suggesting is like trying to get a ppr in the middle of a Red Flag recovery. Dumb.

Rog, we'll definitely work on hashing out those other options, thanks for the suggestions. Basically the way it was explained to us was to look on AirSeaCard and if it doesn't have a contract, you're not going to that airport, which is why O'Hare looked like the only other good option. Gary looks pretty doable though; we'll just have to conference up with the IPs. Again, thanks for the heads-up.

Go to Gary. It's an easy ride to downtown where you can stay for the night. The airshow sets up out of there every year so they have the requisite security and fuel contracts.

If that's not your jollies then go to Waukegon. It has an active fuel contract and gets T-1s and T-6s all the time.

Finally, if you have to get there and those two don't do it then go to Peoria or Rockford and just drive the hour in to town.

Go to Gary.

As long as you get on the Borman and GTFO without stopping anywhere in Gary. The place is a hole (former murder capital of the country...not sure where it stands today). I'd even forego the rental car and get on the train right there at the airport. Surely the FBO would drop you at the train station. Just tell them you want to take the South Shore into the city. It'll drop you off right in the middle of the city where you want to be. It's about 45min-1hr from there, but cheap and easy.

http://www.nictd.com/

O'Hare is a "P" field (P = "permit")--their operating authority includes permitting use by transient military (and other government agencies) aircraft. Landing fees do not apply. Ramp fees may or may not apply--but, sounds like you've already verified that Signature will waive those for military.

Unless this is an exercise "just to do it," I'm with the rest of the group who say it's probably not worth the hassle--but I don't believe landing fees are an issue.