Year of the BUFF

B52gator

60 years and still doin' it.

April 15, 1952-First Flight

June 1962-The last B-52H, serial 61-0040, rolls off the Wichita line. It is the end of 11 years of B-52 production.

December 1972-Operation Linebacker II begins. The "Eleven Day War" delivers 15,000 tons of bombs in 729 sorties against North Vietnam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWtQ4lfU2vo

Edited by b52gator
  • Upvote 1

The BUFF is an amazing machine.

59 years ago today was the last time an American ground troop was killed by an enemy aircraft, as well.

:beer:

The mighty BUFF!!

59 years ago today was the last time an American ground troop was killed by an enemy aircraft, as well.

Coincidence? I think not!

One of the wierdest tankings I had was with some -135s with B-52s in a 4 on 3 (sts). Lead tanker asked for tail numbers <standard crewdog gripes about tail numbers go here> and then responded with, "Well sir, it looks like we're the youngest jet here. Our tails are 65-6969, 62-0023, and 62-0069". Not a single jet was less than 45 years old.

I remember B-47s when I was young. Then BUFFS at Amarillo BEFORE I joind the Army in '67. Three BUFFS and a KC135 followed by 3 more B-52s take off from Kadena, day after day after day after day, when I was stationed on Okinawa in '68 and '69. And I saw a bunch destroyed after the SALT treaty (I think). And yet...they live! One year younger than me. Salute.

Edited by Len Satic

Of all of the jets I've refueled the BUFF is one of my favorites. Last fall I was in a four-ship of -135s refueling a four-ship of BUFFs. If that wasn't cool enough, there was a four-ship of tankers and BUFFs ahead of us and a four-ship of tankers and BUFFs behind us. It was pretty bad ass to have 24 jets going through the same airspace in about a two hour time span. The airliners were asking about all the TCAS hits so center started vectoring them over to watch. It is flights like that where you forget about OPRs, SOS, and all of the other crap at the office.

• Upvote 3

The BUFFs been around so long if you want to do something the the EXACT SAME airplane as your Grandpa did, it's the BUFF!

Boeing built a damn good jet! Bet the guys who designed her never thought she'd last this long.

Hat's off to all those who flew and maintained her!

:beer:

Love the Buff.. even though 0059 is cursed and we needed to have the chaplain out at PGUA do an exorcism on it last year... :rock:

You bomber guys are weird.

cheers to the BUFF..

I was doing a walk around on the gas wagon at PGUA awhile back and a 4 ship took off. I just stood there in awe, as if I was witnessing the four horsemen of the apocalypse taking to the air to end the world..

thankful I'm on their team..

• Upvote 1