Hornet Crash @ Virginia Beach - Populated Area

2 chutes confirmed. No word on any injuries on the ground, but it doesn't look good. Looks like they crashed into an apartment complex.

http://rt.com/news/n...s-virginia-475/

Love the comments section. Tim sounds like a real winner. Maybe it's our friend from Commutair.

Tim (unregistered) April 06, 2012, 21:26

What, they couldnt direct the plane to the forest or something? Or they were scared for their lives and just pressed the eject button. Dont know, maybe or maybe not, but probably someone is dead on the ground (hope not) and they alive and well. That's not right, especially for army men who supposed to protect civilians, not drop planes on them.

EDIT: fixed a format error

Edited by mp5g

So far so good on the ground: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/04/f18-crashes-in-virginia-beach-2-aircrew-eject-safely/1#.T382a45ithP

Former Navy SEAL Patrick McAleenan was a block away when the plane crashed and says the sound was unmistakable and that the walls of his home shook, Navy Times reports.

He tells Navy Times' Joshua Stewart that the pilots ejected at the last possible second in an apparent effort to make sure that the plane would not crash into a nearby school.

"One of them, literally, his parachute hung on a balcony. The people on the ground were dragging him to safety," he says.

From our local Fox station:

Both pilot of the FA-18 Superhornet and at least one person on the ground were taken to hospitals.

Bruce Nedelka, the Virginia Beach EMS division chief, said that witnesses saw fuel being dumped from the jet before it went down, and that fuel was found on buildings and vehicles in the area.

The EMS guy was speculating that the fire may have been worse with more fuel on board (duh)...

FM

I love this guy's commentary...

http://cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2012/04/06/sot-nr-navy-jet-crash-zapatero.cnn

"These planes fly over our houses every day, and over the last few months it seems like they've been getting more and more daring with their maneuvers, seems like their going fast speeds, seems like they are pushing these planes a bit too far."

I love this guy's commentary...

http://cnn.com/video...sh-zapatero.cnn

"These planes fly over our houses every day, and over the last few months it seems like they've been getting more and more daring with their maneuvers, seems like their going fast speeds, seems like they are pushing these planes a bit too far."

Fvck that dude, deep down inside I hope someone trolls him for saying such stupid shit.

• Upvote 1

some other gems from CNN's viewer comments

"

One of viewers reported that jets have been flying low lately,sounds to me they are training for urban attacks most likely against Iran."

"

Funny a little jet slams in a building, one can clearly see wreckage . An Airliner slams into the pentagon and nada!"

"

Obama and Liberals did it."

"

With redundancy systems in place this is a very mature technology which really can't break down. The pilot has to make a mess of things, has to want to crash. I wouldn't even rule out a suicide/homicide scenario. The civil airline pilot who cracked up the other week, he was just the tip of the iceberg. Flying is an extremely stressful and essentially a dead-end job."

"

This guy can't be my wingman anytime..." < My favorite

"

It looks like major pilot error to me. Those crewmen may never fly again after this. They could even be disciplined and imprisoned but once again, no-one outside the Navy will know about that."

"

Of course you won't hear any explanation from the military about what went wrong further than CNN's re-worked Navy press release. But panic is widespread amongst pilots. " < Second Favorite

• Upvote 1

Flying is an extremely stressful and essentially a dead-end job.

Damn...what an idiot. This would make a good sig block for someone...

Side note: saw a dude in a green flight suit with an AETC patch on the front, nametag said "Monty" or something like that, blabbing his mouth on CNN. Wonder if he's a LM guy or some other contractor...really gave the appearance of being military since it wasn't obvious he didn't have rank on or etc and the uniform is obviously the same.

I'm quite surprised we haven't heard any half baked 9/11, Obama-kooky, or chemtrail conspiracies yet.

I'm also surprised that none of these yahoos has yet caught on that a 2-person F/A-18 isn't a standard configuration and started yaking about how it's CLEARLY a conspiracy...give it time.

Maybe it was a gust of wind that did it!

Didn't finish my thought. I just heard a resident say that he heard several bangs before the aircraft hit the building. I'm thinking a possible compressor stall/surge.

LS

Didn't finish my thought. I just heard a resident say that he heard several bangs before the aircraft hit the building. I'm thinking a possible compressor stall/surge.

LS

The aircraft crashed about two-miles off the approach end to rwy 23.

Too much speculation?

F

I seem to recall that Canuck Hornet doing airshow practice had something with a single engine compressor stall at high alpha and lost control. From the sounds (one nozzle open, one closed), that could be a culprit. Bolter King commentary?

But who cares, as long as people are okay, who gives a ###### about the airplane.

Edited by Danger41
  • Upvote 1