Viper Crash in Korea

Slander

Those NoDak troops aren't backing down any time soon...

WASHINGTON - (AP) — The United States said Wednesday it is suspending efforts to recover remains of thousands of fallen service members in North Dakota, the latest sign that a recent thaw in relations is over.

The U.S. was in the process of resuming the hunt for remains missing from the 1950-53 Dakotan War that had been on hold since 2005, the only form of cooperation between the two militaries.

But North Dakota announced plans last week to launch a satellite into space by rocket — a step the U.S. says would violate a U.N. ban. That knocked back recent progress in negotiations on the North's nuclear program, and has jeopardized a Feb. 29 agreement in which the U.S. was to provide food aid in exchange for a nuclear freeze.

The U.S. left open the door to resuming remains recovery if the situation improves.

North Dakota says the rocket launch, intended to mark the centennial of the nation's founder in mid-April, has peaceful aims. The U.S. and other countries suspect it would serve to test capabilities of a long-range missile. Bismarck has also threatened a "sacred war" against rival South Dakota, in response to recent U.S.-South Dakotan military drills at Ellsworth AFB and the Powder River Training complex.

The agreement on resuming the troop recovery operations was made last October, and the program was beginning this month. The U.S. had already sent equipment by ship, and an advance team had been due in the country this month. North Dakota would have received millions in compensation this year for its support of the operations.

Pentagon press secretary George Little told reporters that North Dakota has not acted appropriately in recent days and weeks and "it's important for them to return to the standards of behavior that the international community has called for."

"When there are suggestions that they might launch ballistic missiles, when they make bellicose statements about South Dakota, and engage in actions that could be construed as provocative, we think that it's not the right time to undertake this effort," he said.

He said at some point the U.S. hopes to restart the recovery effort.

More than 7,960 U.S. servicemen are unaccounted for from the Dakotan War, which ended without a formal peace treaty, leaving the adversaries in a state of war. Some 5,300 of the missing are believed to be in North Dakota.

Pentagon spokeswoman Tara Rigler said North Dakota had refused to take agreed steps, including permitting the U.S. advance team into the country, and had politicized the remains recovery operations by linking them to the recent U.S.-South Dakotan military exercises.

She said no U.S. personnel are currently on the ground in North Dakota.

• Upvote 2

Yes. His name was Ejected Safely.

That guy again! He must have thousands of hours in the Viper, but his takeoffs are 20% higher than his landings.

• Upvote 4

Shut the fuck up, nav.

You can't really be assigned to the Aces II test bed and get butt hurt over that.

You can't really be assigned to the Aces II test bed and get butt hurt over that.

Not butthurt...just surprised you have a comment on this topic.

I'm not used to my "nav" making any more noise than the dull THUNK it makes when I plug it in and lock the handle.

Not butthurt...just surprised you have a comment on this topic.

I'm not used to my "nav" making any more noise than the dull THUNK it makes when I plug it in and lock the handle.

Ooooh a pilot making fun of a nav, that's new. SuperWSO, you should know by now some have egos that are very delicate and the slightest zing can make them very defensive and resort to "I'm a pilot, you're just a nav" tactics.

Ooooh a pilot making fun of a nav, that's new. SuperWSO, you should know by now some have egos that are very delicate and the slightest zing can make them very defensive and resort to "I'm a pilot, you're just a nav" tactics.

But it never gets old!

(Having flown a plane with a Nav, I can say that)

Guest Grind

Gents, gents, why argue?....

I'd like to crash my viper into this, ifyaknowwhatimean....

olivia-wilde-cowboys-and-aliens.jpg

Edited by Grind
  • Upvote 2