AF to chop C-27J?

fou

"Roll on" seems like a nebulous term for these systems, so far... Kind of like "mobile homes" and RVs, both are technically able to move about, but one typically stays in place it's entire life. I would imagine that the "roll on" 105mm going on the AC-W isn't going to roll off very often once it is fielded. Maybe that is the difference between "roll on" and palletized?

• Upvote 1

Liquid, sent you a PM...

Lesson learned. No matter how much you think you know, someone always knows more. I stand corrected. The 30mm on the Jordanian AC-235 is not/not a roll on system. The gun is removable if you don't want the drag. ATK is developing a roll on 30mm system for AC-27J and a roll on 105mm system for C-130s. They have the capability to put a roll on 30mm on CN-235, but the aircraft pictured above is not. Thanks Tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest on the C-27J saga. AFSOC, Coast Guard, and Forest Service are the big winners. USAF is stuck with the bill to modify USCG C-130Hs for Forest Service duty.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140106/NEWS/301060027

7 USAF C-27J -> AFSOC
14 USAF C-27J -> USCG
7 USCG C-130H -> USAF for aerial firefighting mods -> USFS

Latest on the C-27J saga. AFSOC, Coast Guard, and Forest Service are the big winners. USAF is stuck with the bill to modify USCG C-130Hs for Forest Service duty.

7 USAF C-27J -> AFSOC14 USAF C-27J -> USCG7 USCG C-130H -> USAF for aerial firefighting mods -> USFS

7 USAF C-27J -> USASOC (US Army Special Ops Command), not AFSOC

7 USAF C-27J -> AFSOC

14 USAF C-27J -> USCG

7 USCG C-130H -> USAF for aerial firefighting mods -> USFS

Who's got the # for the Forest Service?!?! Edited by Learjetter

• 3 months later...

http://www.janes.com/article/37118/maiden-flight-for-mc-27j-gunship

The first fully configured Alenia Aermacchi MC-27J Spartan gunship has made its maiden flight from the company's Turin Test Flight Centre, it was announced on 25 April.

The aircraft was flown with a chin-mounted L-3 Wescam MX-15HD electro-optic/infrared (EO/IR) sensor turret, and with Link-16 datalink software and hardware provisions to prepare the aircraft for installation of the ATK palletised mission system. Provisions for an upgraded Selex ES communication system have also been built into the aircraft.

According to Alenia, installation of both the ATK developed modular/palletised roll-on/roll-off (ro-ro) mission and weapon system and a modified side door for the GAU-23 30 mm cannon installation will be completed in May. This will be followed in June by the completion of the current round of flight trials, which has included firing the cannon.

Aside from the gun, Alenia is also looking to integrate precision-guided munitions such as the MBDA US Viper Strike and Raytheon Griffon, as well as other systems being developed by ATK. These will be carried on underwing hardpoints or internally located launch tubes.

Launched at the Farnborough Airshow in 2012, the MC-27J is a special mission variant of the C-27J tactical transport aircraft that will enable operators to quickly change the aircraft's set-up from gunship and command and control to basic transport for multiple missions.

Mission systems don't sounds terribly impressive...go big or go home on a 20-in. ball and hang some real weapons like -114s or SDBs. GBU-44 is about as good as throwing a rock.

Still a great idea in theory, hope we get them someday.

Hehe. I predict that Alenia gets frustrated with the idea quite soon, unless AFSOC shares a lot of lessons learned and technology with them . . . those proposed mission systems look AWFULLY familiar. They're about 6-7 years and and boatload of cash behind the curve, it appears.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I sat and watched the giant chopper take the wings off of these perfectly functional planes, and then fuse, tail, etc. Looked inside one right before they chopped them. Full avionics and everything. There was no attempt to salvage anything.

Edit: That was one week into my one year tour here. Coincidently, it is also when I ceased having any fucks to give.

Edited by discus
  • Upvote 1

I sat and watched the giant chopper take the wings off of these perfectly functional planes, and then fuse, tail, etc. Looked inside one right before they chopped them. Full avionics and everything. There was no attempt to salvage anything.

Edit: That was one week into my one year tour here. Coincidently, it is also when I ceased having any ######s to give.

this is whats wrong with our country, not just the military.... the waste ive seen in corporate america is absolutely appalling

Edit: That was one week into my one year tour here. Coincidently, it is also when I ceased having any fucks to give.

I'm surprised it took one week to feel that way about that shithole. Anyway, the C-27 was never the right choice for them, and instead we gave them C-130s. I'd put good money that the Herks will endure the same fate, if they haven't crashed them into mountainsides first.

I'm surprised it took one week to feel that way about that shithole. Anyway, the C-27 was never the right choice for them, and instead we gave them C-130s. I'd put good money that the Herks will endure the same fate, if they haven't crashed them into mountainsides first.

you talking about the H-models that the forestry service got?