Sukhoi T-50 first demo

Almansur

You don't think there's a big long one in between the two engines?

There are two between those engines. The bird is bigger than a Raptor... and is also "pre-navalized" in structure. Look at that gear!

PAK-FA+tecnologiamilitareaeronautica.blogspot.com+%25285%2529.jpg

Edited by Almansur

How is this thing going to be IR stealth with those honking unadulterated nozzles on the rear?

These are prototypes with interim engines. They are saying that they will change a bit on the production model, we'll see. However they claim that the bird will be "less stealthy than the F-22 but more maneuverable"... whatever that means.

I've shared a few steins of malt beverage with some Luftwaffe MIG 29 mx troops and they never had anything nice to say either in German or English about Russian engine technology. Very fast, lots of power but very short life span. I hope the Indians have good luck with customer service with the Russians, its like buying a printer, great price until you have to buy toner cartridges. I wonder with the Russian design philosophy if it is even economically viable for them to develop a complex vectored exhaust nozzle for increased maneuverability, I bet it has a LOX system.

• Upvote 1

These are prototypes with interim engines. They are saying that they will change a bit on the production model, we'll see. However they claim that the bird will be "less stealthy than the F-22 but more maneuverable"... whatever that means.

Did the demo have the thrust vectoring nozzles? I couldn't tell. I know they have had them in a tech demo before. If they weren't on this demo, why not? Oddly, if I remember, their tech demo thrust vectoring nozzles were visually the same, no cloaking attempts like you see on other stealth engines.

Interesting how the leading edge slats seem to also include the portion just in front of the engine intakes. Those things look big enough to be considered control surfaces rather than slats IMO.

Did the demo have the thrust vectoring nozzles? I couldn't tell. I know they have had them in a tech demo before. If they weren't on this demo, why not? Oddly, if I remember, their tech demo thrust vectoring nozzles were visually the same, no cloaking attempts like you see on other stealth engines.

I'd say those are the 3D vectoring engines.

Just looking at the picture the bottom engine nozzle seems to be pointing down-ish while the top one is straight. Interesting to see the Russians are getting away from the V type setup they had a hard on with the in the Su's.

Example:

4196084185_9700f55205.jpg

^Su-30MKM

Interesting how the leading edge slats seem to also include the portion just in front of the engine intakes. Those things look big enough to be considered control surfaces rather than slats IMO.

They're calling those "Leading Edge Vortex Controller (LEVCON)".

So if it ever came to it, they are planning on engaging a Raptor in a dogfight? That kind of sounds like a failure in design. "Less stealthy" leads me to believe our Raptors are going to find them first.*

*If the Raptors ever fly again

They're calling those "Leading Edge Vortex Controller (LEVCON)".

Good to know. So are they considering it more of a control surface or some engineering trick to keep air going to the intake during crazy AOA maneuvers (cobra, etc)?

So if it ever came to it, they are planning on engaging a Raptor in a dogfight? That kind of sounds like a failure in design. "Less stealthy" leads me to believe our Raptors are going to find them first.

Well how would two super stealthy fighters end up fighting? Wouldn't it have to be WVR BFM?

Well how would two super stealthy fighters end up fighting? Wouldn't it have to be WVR BFM?

That is exactly what I wonder. Why do we care if it is slightly more maneuverable? If the T-50 is "less stealthy," then advantage 'Merica.

• Downvote 1

That is exactly what I wonder. Why do we care if it is slightly more maneuverable? If the T-50 is "less stealthy," then advantage 'Merica.

Because things don't always work out like you think they will...kind of like when they designed the F-4 and did not put a gun on it because all future airwars were going to be BVR faceshots (sts).

Watch the video. You can see them moving in a way that corresponds with the direction the nose moves. I'd venture to say they function more like canards than anything else. I know they're all the rage on a lot of new-fangled fighters (Rafale, Eurofighter, JAS-39).

To me this looks a LOT like an Su-37 and a YF-23 had an abomination of a child.