Kudos to Southwest Pilot...

Linda

Just ran across this story via a few different news outlets - appears to be legit.

It's based on a letter written to the Elliot.Org website about a pilot who simply "Did the right thing."

Teaser bit:

...In LAX, the lines to both check a bag and get through security were exceptional. He got to the airport two hours early and was still late getting to his plane.

Every step of the way, he’s on the verge of tears and trying to get assistance from both TSA and Southwest employees to get to his plane on time.

According to him, everyone he talked to couldn’t have cared less. When he was done with security, he grabbed his computer bag, shoes and belt and ran to his terminal in his stocking feet.

When he got there, the pilot of his plane and the ticketing agent both said, “Are you Mark? We held the plane for you and we’re so sorry about the loss of your grandson.”

The pilot held the plane that was supposed to take off at 11:50 until 12:02 when my husband got there.

As my husband walked down the Jetway with the pilot, he said, “I can’t thank you enough for this.”

Full Article:

Link to Elliot.org Original Article

:beer:

Linda

I was on a SW flight a few years back and they held the jet about 10 minutes to allow a handful of connecting passengers make it from one side of the terminal to our gate. Some pax were grumpy about it, but the head FA got on the intercom and said something about "think about if it was you trying to make the connection."

I was impressed.

I was on a SW flight a few years back and they held the jet about 10 minutes to allow a handful of connecting passengers make it from one side of the terminal to our gate. Some pax were grumpy about it, but the head FA got on the intercom and said something about "think about if it was you trying to make the connection."

I was impressed.

I think I was on that flight.

Great story and hats off to Southwest. Unlike American a few years ago where my wife and I landed late and hit customs 45 min prior to the connecting flight. We ran up to the gate no shit 2 min prior to time and they said, "tough luck." So even though we were technically "on time" (obviously the standard is 30 early or so, but come on...) they could give 2 shits. Too bad those dicks couldn't be more like the SWA pilot/gate agents. Also, any airline guys here know if its possible for gate agents et al to know a connecting passenger has landed (i.e. late land and they know the person is late because of a connection, checked in, but security is out of control, etc. and not just being a no show)? I figure that would exist, but maybe not.

Edited by brabus

When I was getting my masters degree, I wrote a paper about Southwest based on the book "nuts". Fantastic book and an even better company. Their business practices have always been pretty good and their customer service is great as well. When my grandfather died last year, an agent changed my ticket date and waived the fee to do so. It was great of her to do that. Try doing that with any other airline in the US today.

...and now apparently they don't have "change fees" anymore. I always hated that. With other airlines, I'm left asking, "So wait...if I had walked in off the street and booked this ticket I'd pay less, but because I was already doing business with you and changed my itinerary (which allows you to now resell my ticket on the original flight to someone else at a much higher cost...) I have to pay you more in addition to the price of my new, last-minute flight?"

Good on SW and I try to fly with them when I can.

Edited by nsplayr

I like them but they don't have first class and I'm a loyalty program junkie. It's pretty easy to get used to first/business class upgrades.

I fly my kids back and forth from school on Southwest though.

I like them but they don't have first class and I'm a loyalty program junkie. It's pretty easy to get used to first/business class upgrades.

They may not have first class but their loyalty program is pretty good. Just joined myself but looks like it's real quick and easy to earn free flights and drink coupons for beer/wine/stuff with alcohol. My only problem with SW is their customer service is so good I consider them an enabler to my sister's addiction to being late to everything.

2 on SW's book, great reading.

Edited by baileynme

So you're saying you fly first class, but coach is good enough for the kids? Got it. /jk

So you're saying you fly first class, but coach is good enough for the kids? Got it. /jk

Hell yes that's what I'm saying. They get $50k/yr in private college tuition payed for, they can fly coach.

...and now apparently they don't have "change fees" anymore. I always hated that. With other airlines, I'm left asking, "So wait...if I had walked in off the street and booked this ticket I'd pay less, but because I was already doing business with you and changed my itinerary (which allows you to now resell my ticket on the original flight to someone else at a much higher cost...) I have to pay you more in addition to the price of my new, last-minute flight?"

Good on SW and I try to fly with them when I can.

Because there is no guarantee that they will sell that seat so they're covering their ass. It sucks for the customer but it makes sense from their perspective.

Really like Southwest and their no bag fees...

Edit: Just read the CNN article. Unbelieveable (the reason the grandfather was traveling to begin with, that is)...not up to speed on CO and their death penalty cases...too bad this guy didn't do this in TX. I know what would happen there.

Edited by Herk Driver

My Dads been a pilot at Southwest for almost 20 years and he loves it. It is a great company and the majority of the people working there really care about doing the job the right way. I remember one time flying back home to see my family and the flight attendant comes up to me and asks if I was military (guess the short hair gave it away). She thanked me and offered me a free adult beverage of my choosing for the flight.

Really like Southwest and their no bag fees...

Edit: Just read the CNN article. Unbelieveable (the reason the grandfather was traveling to begin with, that is)...not up to speed on CO and their death penalty cases...too bad this guy didn't do this in TX. I know what would happen there.

Yep, no surprise it happened in Aurora.

Back to the point though, glad to see there are still some good people in this world.

Not only does SWA not charge for flight changes, if you change your orignal flight to one that is cheaper, they actually give you that $$ back. Not cash, but credit towards your next flight.

I heard they're so awesome they'll even let you change inflight now.

Unbelieveable (the reason the grandfather was traveling to begin with, that is)...

Wish we could get someone like Chuck Lidell to throw HIS ass around the room for a few hours. See how tough this piece of shit is when it's not a 2YO he's dealing with.

Edited by zrooster99