Classic Thread - Security Forces (SFS) Tales

Ferg

if you didn't have VA license plates, you should have told him to fuck off.

At 19 years old just arriving at my first base, my balls weren't that big yet. It was one of the first questions I asked once I checked in and was told that it didn't matter what state I was registered in that I still had to have the VA inspection if I was assigned there. I complied but the next time I went home I went to my dad's guard unit and got a base sticker from them. I figured the system out and was just going to tell the next prick that I was just TDY. In my remaining four + years of squid hell, no one else ever said anything.

Edited by HerkFE

if you didn't have VA license plates, you should have told him to fuck off.

It's common for bases in the less free states (California, east coast) to sign agreements with the state government requiring emissions testing for all PCS-assigned vehicles - even those w/o in-state plates.

Fail.

'Fail' as in not true, or 'fail' as in that is true and stupid?

I honestly don't know because I was never stationed in a "non-free" state, nor would I live in one now that I am a freedman...

'Fail' as in not true, or 'fail' as in that is stupid?

I honestly don't know because I was never stationed in a "non-free" state, nor would I live in one now that I am a freedman...

I am certain that Texas would have to fall into the sea before you would move to California or New Jersey. Actually, I do not think there are any circumstances, real or imagined, that could get you to live in California or New Jersey.

One of my close friends was illegally bow hunting deer in a heavily wooded, fenced in, closed area that abutted up

against the munitions storage area. There was a perimeter road around this area on three sides and the Security Police

would always patrol/park on this road.

My friend used a ladder to cross the fence and was slowly moving through the woods stalking deer. He heard a low

whistle and looked up and saw a guy in a tree stand about 30 feet away. He quietly made his way over to the tree stand

and said to the guy in the stand that he needs to be careful because the cops patrol the area and he could get caught.

The guy in the tree stand whispers back to my buddy "don't worry I'm a cop". Anyway this Security Police TSgt ended up graciously sharing this "closed" hunting area with us.

It's common for bases in the less free states (California, east coast) to sign agreements with the state government requiring emissions testing for all PCS-assigned vehicles - even those w/o in-state plates.

True statement. @ Andrews, PG County requires you to get said inspection if you are assigned to the base--even if you live in VA or have out of state registration. Great idea!

I'm assigned to a GSU in one of those less-than-free states. I received an email from the nearest base saying I need to fill out some form to certify that I've had my vehicle inspected. It sounded like a load of crap to me, so I looked it. Turns out it is required by Section 118 of the Clean Air Act.

Each department, agency, and instrumentality of executive, legislative, and judicial branches of the Federal Government having jurisdiction over any property or facility shall require all employees which operate motor vehicles on the property or facility to furnish proof of compliance with the applicable requirements of any vehicle inspection and maintenance program established under the provisions of subpart 2 of part D of this subchapter or subpart 3 of part D of this subchapter for the State in which such property or facility is located (without regard to whether such vehicles are registered in the State).

For a long time, car companies had to make CA-specific models, with different ECU programming, different cam profiles, etc. in order to pass CARB-mandated emissions standards. I don't imagine an older "49-state" car would pass CARB emissions; I wonder what the course of action is in those cases.

Enforcement of this must be a new thing, or Sect. 118 is new; I didn't have to get my PA-registered car smog-checked while I was stationed in CA in the early-mid '90s. Neither did all the rednecks who drove their '70s Chevy pickups from the backwoods and bayous they came from.

I got stuck being the barricade at the gate a few years ago, on my way OUT of the gate after a planned 7.0 HHD AR sortie turned into a 10.something due to T-storms all over the East Coast (damn good thing the receiver took less gas than planned...) that knocked out power to the base for several hours. They weren't amused when I told Amn Slapnuts that I'd be snoozing in the car until someone else tried to make a break for it - it was 3am after a 15+hr crew duty day that started OCONUS, and I was friggin' beat.

So at a base in one of the "less than free states" (Travis), state law prohibits a person to carry a firearm with a magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds. In some SFS personnel's infinite wisdom, they decided that aircrew issued M-9s would only have 10 rounds per magazine. Never mind the fact that these weapons never left the base other than on our jet and they were required to go to fucking COMBAT, they decided to play along. I was once held up by the armory guys in Germany because they thought we were missing 5 rounds per mag.

Oh BTW we still weren't compliant with state law since we still had the standard mags that held 15 rounds, but only had 10. UFB

So at a base in one of the "less than free states" (Travis), state law prohibits a person to carry a firearm with a magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds. In some SFS personnel's infinite wisdom, they decided that aircrew issued M-9s would only have 10 rounds per magazine. Never mind the fact that these weapons never left the base other than on our jet and they were required to go to fucking COMBAT, they decided to play along. I was once held up by the armory guys in Germany because they thought we were missing 5 rounds per mag.

Oh BTW we still weren't compliant with state law since we still had the standard mags that held 15 rounds, but only had 10. UFB

So did the SFS guys only get 10 round mags also for their M9s and M4s? And I assume the M4s were semi-automatic only...can't have 3-round burst in Cali!

Ho Lee Fuk Me To Tears :banghead:

Apparently they don't understand the difference between federal and state property. Nevermind that every firearms law I have read always has an exception for military personnel while conducting official duties. Although being CA I wouldn't be surprised if they left that out.

Last time I was TDY at Altus, I checked my handgun in at the armory and asked the airman what their protocols were for transporting it on and off base. He then proceeds to tell me that it needs to be locked in the trunk and unloaded; then says that according to OK law having bullets in the magazine is considered loaded so I needed to remove the bullets as well. I laughed and told him he needs to go reread the laws.

Laughlin had a policy where personal arms could only be checked out for 48hrs without approval from some higher-up (don't remember exactly who).

BIG "2" on not checking firearms with SFS. There's usually some storage locker place off base that costs $30/mo or less, if that's your only option left.

Fuck keeping your personal firearm in the SFS armory.

Agreed, it wasnt something I was particularly pleased with doing. Next I'll plan that out better. Also my gun isn't a 9mm so I was a little less concerned with SFS having fun with it like they had been doing when I was at Vance.

Agreed, it wasnt something I was particularly pleased with doing. Next I'll plan that out better. Also my gun isn't a 9mm so I was a little less concerned with SFS having fun with it like they had been doing when I was at Vance.

The cops don't care what type of weapon it is. They can go buy ammo just like you can. You should definitely be concerned anytime you leave a weapon with folks that are fanatical about weapons.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

The cops don't care what type of weapon it is. They can go buy ammo just like you can. You should definitely be concerned anytime you leave a weapon with folks that are fanatical about weapons.

And/or don't have any clue about firearms aside from their issued weapons!

The cops don't care what type of weapon it is. They can go buy ammo just like you can. You should definitely be concerned anytime you leave a weapon with folks that are fanatical about weapons scored an 8 on the ASVAB.

FTFY.

Edited by guineapigfury