Cross Country info

Rocker

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I went to Little Rock for Navigator Initial Qual, billeting stuck me in a room in which I had to share a bathroom. This was a clear violation of the AFI that pertains to billeting and lodging, but as you may well guess the SrA behind the desk was quick to pullout a copy of the AETC Waiver to the AFI.

Guest guardhopefull
Originally posted by Mambo:

I don't get it, why don't you just room on-base with your own room?

Due to the requirements we need to meet for the XC, stopping at a base is not possible both nights. I would rather stay on a base both nights but we just cant make it work.

We share rooms quite often, esp when we go T-3 (IPs only) to a place that is more expensive than the squdaron will reimburse us for. I think I've heard a rumor before about IPs and studs can't share rooms, and I don't know if I'd share a room w/ female IP or student (perception only...not because I don't trust myself:D)

IIRC, the JFTR stipulates the TDY pay/reimbursements. The $35/pers or $70 total was in effect when I was there (as mentioned above). They claimed lack of funds for the restriction - but the 20 or so 42" plasma screens peppered through the squadron sure were nice. ( I know...different colors of money). My guess is the AETC waiver is the reason.

I just went cross country in January and ended up doubling up with a classmate in Nashville for a night because the place was over the $70 or so we were alloted for hotel. Even the IP's were buddying up.

The hotel split the bills in half and no one ever said a thing about it.

Guest Mary G

Is this $70/$35 thing new? When I went T-6 XC we didn't stay on base any of the nights and the rooms were definitely more than $35 AND nobody had to share a room. However in the T-1 they made us to go places where billeting could accomodate us on base, though the class right before us didn't stay or even fly into any bases. Seems like the whole thing depends on the squadron at the time perhaps?

• 1 year later...
Guest Sessy
Where are the best places to go for O&Bs and Cross Countries from Vance? It is about that time and I would like to head to the fun places.

2 hop your way to South Padre for spring break... can't go wrong there.

Where are the best places to go for O&Bs and Cross Countries from Vance? It is about that time and I would like to head to the fun places.

If you can make it, Mall of America at Minn/St Paul. Also Chennault, LA if they'll still ask your food order on downwind - $1 crawfish etouffe that was just amazing...(the FBO kicks back some dough to the restaurant). There was a great little restaurant up in Hutchison, KS (if I remember correctly). There's your standard burritos at Freebirds at College Station, TX...there's the steak place at Amarillo, TX where if you can eat this enormous steak with all the fixings in 30 minutes or something it'll be free. Ellington Field in Houston rocks...

and that's about all the penguins on that iceberg. Peace.

O&B:

Amarillo...Big Texan is the shit. And even the restaurant on the field isn't too bad.

Lincoln...Chipotle is about a 10 min drive from the airport.

Alliance...Pretty good BBQ place about 2 min down the road.

Ft Smith...You can get a sandwich/chips/cookies/drink deal for $1, and they'll deliver right to the FBO, so you can just eat their.

Fayetteville (AR)...Good BBQ.

Lubbock...they don't let us go there anymore, but maybe T-6's can still. I've been twice and both times the controllers were douche bags, so I'd recommend this as a last choice. Though there is Freebirds and many other restaurants downtown.

Oh yeah, and they also all have good approach practice and are pretty good to the military (minus Lubbock for their d bag controllers and ground crew).

XC:

T-6 XC we ended up in Dallas on the first night and Lubbock on the 2nd night...due to wx. It wasn't bad...the clubs/bars in Lubbock were actually a pretty good time (I was kind of apprehensive of Lubbock being a fun time at first). Dallas bars were a decent time too. Centennial in CO is a sweet place...16th st in Denver is only a 15 min drive and you can stay downtown, definitely a good time. 38 XC we went to Tallahassee and had a damn good time. Went to a couple places and both had some of the best drink specials/prices I've ever seen.

Guest Dunce

"2" on Ellington field in Houston for Saturday night. usually Friday night you push it up too hard and Saturday night is for relaxing. No better place to do it than Ellington Field. They are VERY military friendly there and hook you up.

Our Cross Country is:

Vance to Garden City, KS

Garden City to Denver, CO (sleep)

Denver to Grand Junction, CO

Grand Junction to ABQ (sleep)

ABQ to AMA

AMA to Vance

It should turn out to be a good time. Still looking for a good O&B though...They won't let us fly into Lubbock anymore due to a large amount of geese.

Our Cross Country is:

Vance to Garden City, KS

ABQ to AMA

AMA to Vance

It should turn out to be a good time. Still looking for a good O&B though...They won't let us fly into Lubbock anymore due to a large amount of geese.

Well thank god we have this newfangled NACWS thing thatll help us avoid geese.... shit.

Our Cross Country is:

Vance to Garden City, KS

ABQ to AMA

AMA to Vance

You'll like Grand Junction. We flew there all the time when I flew C-21s. The military FBO is run by a former Navy guy...can't remember his name though. If you call up the FBO when you're in the pattern, they'll order pizza for you so it will be there when you land. He'll also hook you up with Grand Junction made chocolate/toffee that is money.

I would also highly reccommend doing your VFR portion out of Grand Junction & through the mountains. Be sure to bring a camera!

Also, if you're doing instrument approaches at Grand Junction, take a close look at the published missed approaches. They will always give you one of those for your climbout. They aren't difficult, but they might catch you off guard if you're not prepared.

Oh yeah, for out-and-backs, I reccommend Northwest Arkansas Regional (XNA). They are hardly ever busy, have their own approach control, and good ass barbque at the FBO for $1. Its one of the nicer FBOs you'll ever go to.

• 1 month later...

Anyone here been to Scott AFB and have a reccomendation of using the Mid-America FBO vs Scott Base Ops? I'm going there this weekend, but can't find any gouge on one side being better than the other. I dealt with Scott once in Hercs and found them pretty damn helpfull - although that was for an airshow so maybe that was the only reason they had their sh*t together.

Anyone here been to Scott AFB and have a reccomendation of using the Mid-America FBO vs Scott Base Ops? I'm going there this weekend, but can't find any gouge on one side being better than the other. I dealt with Scott once in Hercs and found them pretty damn helpfull - although that was for an airshow so maybe that was the only reason they had their sh*t together.

I've been to Scott exactly once, about six months ago. It was incredibly bad service all around. Plus the base sucks ass. Considering AMC is HQ there I found it somewhat amusing how completely worthless they are (prime knight? what's that?).

The high point was having several worthless TA guys watch us refuel our jet. For some "contract" reasons they "couldn't" refuel us, but they could sit there and watch us and insist we weren't allowed to perform concurrent servicing (wfto?). Their definition of CSS was having aircrew on the jet while it was being refueled.

No idea about FBO but I have trouble believing it could in any way be worse than Scott.

Guest bravodelta79

Just a note on the places where you can do a civ FBO vs. Base Ops...

Flying a GA spam can to several places which have both, I've seen many comments on the FBO pages which are mil guys fueling up at the civ FBO because the service is always better (quicker and more friendly) than the Base Ops on the field.

Just something to check into when flying to these airports.

I've been to Scott exactly once, about six months ago. It was incredibly bad service all around. Plus the base sucks ass. Considering AMC is HQ there I found it somewhat amusing how completely worthless they are (prime knight? what's that?).

The high point was having several worthless TA guys watch us refuel our jet. For some "contract" reasons they "couldn't" refuel us, but they could sit there and watch us and insist we weren't allowed to perform concurrent servicing (wfto?). Their definition of CSS was having aircrew on the jet while it was being refueled.

No idea about FBO but I have trouble believing it could in any way be worse than Scott.

Avoid Scott like the plague. To be "The Showcase Of AMC" they are worthless and would be better off without a runway at all. When it comes to FBO vs any AFB...go FBO. They are there to make money not spend it, therefore service is usually first class at an FBO.

I dont' know about the logistics of refueling a Herc, but I went there a year ago in the tweet to the civilian side. Refueling was pretty expeditious, base transpo will come over to the civilian side and pick you up and take you to billeting. Then, billeting is a short walk to the train, which will take you all the way to downtown St Louie for 2 or 3 bucks. You can get into Cards games for free if there's space available.

There are worse places!