Obama administering military oath

Spoo

Obama Giving Military Oath To 2 From UA

By Carol Ann Alaimo, Arizona Daily Star

Yousef Balooshi is starting his military career on top of the world.

For an Army officer, it doesn't get much better than being sworn into service by the commander in chief.

The ROTC cadet from the University of Arizona is one of two locals to whom President Obama will administer the oath of office during a visit to Tempe tonight.

"It's an extreme honor. I never imagined this in my wildest dreams, said Balooshi, 22, who'll graduate from the UA with a degree in history later this week and is being commissioned as a second lieutenant.

"It's pretty unbelievable," agreed fellow cadet Enwei Liber, 21, who also will be onstage when Obama does the honors. The Virginia native, another new second lieutenant, also graduates from the UA this week, with a political science degree.

Their swearing-in ceremony will take place at Arizona State University with fellow ROTC cadets from around the state. The opportunity to have Obama officiate arose because the president is due to give the commencement address at ASU tonight.

The two UA cadets were chosen from among 20 seniors in their ROTC class because they ranked highest in areas such as academic achievement, military studies, leadership training and physical fitness, said Capt. Vernal Fulton, an adviser with the UA's ROTC program.

Relatively few Army officers ever get to meet their commander in chief, let alone be sworn in by him, Fulton said.

"For anyone in the military, being sworn in by the president is a big deal."

Balooshi said the moment is especially meaningful for him because he was born in Bahrain, a Middle Eastern nation that, though it's more liberal than others in the region, has fewer personal freedoms than Americans enjoy. His mother is American, so he has U.S. citizenship through her.

"I have a little bit of a debt to repay," Balooshi said of his decision to join the Army.

"There are opportunities here that I wouldn't have had anywhere else. Sometimes I think people have a greater appreciation of America when they have seen the way it is in other countries."

Liber said she was inspired to enter the military by a sibling who recently was commissioned into the Air Force through the ROTC.

The UA's ROTC program produces about 20 new Army officers each year. Nationwide, such programs are the service's largest source of commissioned officers.

Agree - good for them. If it were me, I'd be nervous as hell. Probably stumble all over myself reciting the oath back. Wait a sec...

Edited by Spoo

Guest Alarm Red
Good for them; but it appears he's only doing it because they both have Middle Eastern names/backgrounds. I could be wrong though.

How do you figure they both have Middle Eastern names/backgrounds?

And I know you didn't title the thread, but why would he have to 'manage to not screw this one up'? Did he previously commission someone incorrectly?

Oh, maybe this line from the story?

"Balooshi said the moment is especially meaningful for him because he was born in Bahrain, a Middle Eastern nation that, though it's more liberal than others in the region, has fewer personal freedoms than Americans enjoy. His mother is American, so he has U.S. citizenship through her."

Just sayin..:)

Guest Alarm Red

"Balooshi said the moment is especially meaningful for him because he was born in Bahrain, a Middle Eastern nation that, though it's more liberal than others in the region, has fewer personal freedoms than Americans enjoy. His mother is American, so he has U.S. citizenship through her."

How about this line from my question?

Guest PerArduaAdAstra

So the man with the strange foreign sounding name graduated higher in his class than most of his US born classmates, AND he enlisted in the Army because he felt he had a debt of gratitude to repay to his new country - something that probably never crossed the minds of 99% of the other kids graduating from the University of Arizona. In my mind that maybe makes him a better American despite his strange foreign sounding name.

Just sayin...

You got me on that one, but Enwei isn't exactly a name you hear/see every day.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that these two are commissioning and are very appreciate of their country. I'm not suspicious of their motives, but of Obama's.

Guest flyinforfun
Good for them; but it appears he's only doing it because they both have Middle Eastern names/backgrounds. I could be wrong though.

I've spent alot of time in Asia and I'm pretty sure Enwei is a Chinese name. So if by "middle-eastern" name you meant far-east then you're right.

Edited by flyinforfun

Are we seriously debating the ethnicity of two about-to-be officers? Aren't we past this kind of thing?

Their CC said they are the highest two ranking cadets in their class, without any evidence to the contrary we should give them the benefit of the doubt and keep politics out of it.

Are we seriously debating the ethnicity of two about-to-be officers? Aren't we past this kind of thing?

Their CC said they are the highest two ranking cadets in their class, without any evidence to the contrary we should give them the benefit of the doubt and keep politics out of it.

I'm not debating ethnicity. No we aren't past it.

I really think this is a non-event. It's great for the cadets and school but why is this a big deal that Obama is doing it? Didn't other presidents do it? Wouldn't be a big deal if he didn't do it?

Guest Smoke_Jaguar4
I really think this is a non-event. It's great for the cadets and school but why is this a big deal that Obama is doing it? Didn't other presidents do it? Wouldn't be a big deal if he didn't do it?

Apparently not, because it wasn't legal. Doing a Google News archive search on "President Bush ROTC oath", I came across this interesting nugget:

"Previously, the law required a commissioned military officer to administer the oath, but a change in the 2007 National Defense Authorization Act allows the president, vice president or secretary of defense to administer the oath of commission or enlistment."

Source: http://www.allamericanpatriots.com/4872356...ets_white_house

Since the President does some graduation ceremonies every year, this will probably become a more frequent event. I think this is one of those moments where we should set aside our personal political beliefs and respect the man for being our Commander in Chief.

SJ4

Seriously...I think Pres. Bush did this on several occasions. All the people questioning Obama's motives, what would you have said if he had turned down the opportunity?? The story's only interesting in that it's great for those two individuals to be commissioned by the current POTUS.

I think this is one of those moments where we should set aside our personal political beliefs and respect the man for being our Commander in Chief.

That's the smartest thing anyone's said all day. Having the Commander in Chief administer an oath of office is a big deal no matter who holds the office.

Apparently not, because it wasn't legal. Doing a Google News archive search on "President Bush ROTC oath", I came across this interesting nugget:

"Previously, the law required a commissioned military officer to administer the oath, but a change in the 2007 National Defense Authorization Act allows the president, vice president or secretary of defense to administer the oath of commission or enlistment."

And that nugget would be incorrect. While it may be true that this was the first time that those offices could administer the oath, military officers, judges and notaries can all administer this oath and could do so well before 2007.

Wait.... a notary can administer the oath of commission/enlistment?

Shit... I thought all they were good for was notarizing my documents for buying Garands from the CMP.

[/threadjack]

I know Enwei personally and she is actually a conservative. Being sworn in by the president is an honor, regardless of their political party.

Edited by Duck

Guest Form 8
And that nugget would be incorrect. While it may be true that this was the first time that those offices could administer the oath, military officers, judges and notaries can all administer this oath and could do so well before 2007.

I saw a CMSgt commission his daughter since he was a licensed public notary.

Don't really see the big deal. I could care less who swore me in, the oath means the same no matter what.

Yea right. Have your freakin OTS Flight CC swear you in or the President of the United States and tell me which one is a bigger deal.

Yea right. Have your freakin OTS Flight CC swear you in or the President of the United States and tell me which one is a bigger deal.

Big deal...yes, more meaningful...no! I was perfectly happy with my AMS FA swearing me in...but then again I also skipped my college graduation. Never have been a big fan or making things a big deal. Danger, it's like the way SPS IFF does their graduation....I think that's how UPT grad should go!

OTS.....way to long! :thumbsup:

Edited by SocialD