Obama administering military oath

Spoo

Wait.... a notary can administer the oath of commission/enlistment?

Shit... I thought all they were good for was notarizing my documents for buying Garands from the CMP.

[/threadjack]

Yes, the AF governing AFI is 36-2006. Para 3 states that civil officials authorized by law to administer oaths, commissioned officers and warrants that are on AD as an adjutant, asst., acting or personnel adjutant of a command. Notaries in many, if not all, states are authorized to administer oaths. The AFI is dated 2002, but I know officers sworn in by their enlisted dad from much earlier than 2002, who also happened to be a notary.

How do you figure they both have Middle Eastern names/backgrounds?

And I know you didn't title the thread, but why would he have to 'manage to not screw this one up'? Did he previously commission someone incorrectly?

I guess you didn't watch him take the oath of office...the first time.

For the record:

I didn't start the thread based on the ethnicity of their names - previous post was dumb. I admonished myself and made the appropriate changes. I'm sure they were at the top of their class, they'll be great officers, undying patriotism, yada, yada, yada. I saw Obama was giving the oath and immediately thought of his inauguration shenanigans. Just wanted to say shenanigans.

"I swear to God I'll pistol-whip the nexy guy who says shenanigans."

Edited by Spoo

Guest Alarm Red
I guess you didn't watch him take the oath of office...the first time.

Oh, you're talking about when Justice Roberts left out some words while administering the oath.

Oh, you're talking about when Justice Roberts left out some words while administering the oath.

No, the couple of times Obama stumbled over the words that Roberts didn't leave out. I guess they should've had it on a teleprompter. ZING!

Don't ping dude, I wasn't commenting on his political philosophy.

I'd call it a CRM issue between Roberts and Obama. Also, it was basically a world-televised event, so they were probably nervous as hell.

Wow, throwing CRM in there. Nice. Agree though, you could feel the nervousness coming though the tube.

I know the Obama oath thing isn't that big a deal, but the last time I tried to start a thread it got deleted after four replies. This time I figured I would try something benign. The whole walk before you run thing.

Edited by Spoo

I would not trade the experience of my father swearing me in as an officer, for any CINC.....much less this one.

Completely agree. That was the first time in my life I ever saw my retired Marine father tear up. The second time was holding his granddaughter. No CINC could ever top that.

Completely agree. That was the first time in my life I ever saw my retired Marine father tear up. The second time was holding his granddaughter. No CINC could ever top that.

yeah... similar experience... it almost through me off.

I've spent alot of time in Asia and I'm pretty sure Enwei is a Chinese name. So if by "middle-eastern" name you meant far-east then you're right.

You sir, would be correct. I know her sister and they are very much not middle eastern.

You sir, would be correct. I know her sister and they are very much not middle eastern.

Name dropper.

I administered the oath to my little brother and then my Dad gave him his first salute...about 9 years after he gave me mine. Mom was in tears.

Sorry, felt compelled to share.

EDIT: Felt compelled to share because I was loaded.

Edited by Spoo