Good place to buy a flight suit?

Guest Saz43

Guest Saz43

Hey everyone.

I just got an AFROTC pilot slot, and at my detachment you get issued a flight suit right away. However, I am ridiculously tall and skinny, and my detachment doesn't have the size I need (38L). Anyhow, I will probably commission before they are able to order a new one for me, so I've decided that I need to buy my own.

However, I can't seem to find the right kind. My detachment doesn't use the CWU-27/Ps which are all over the place, but rather these old flight suits from 1996 made by "Equa Industries" with these Velcro tapes all over. Of course my flight suit has to be standardized with everyone else, and I have to get the right kind.

So my question boils down to: Does anyone know a good place to buy a flight suit?

Thanks for your time!

Of course my flight suit has to be standardized with everyone else, and I have to get the right kind.

Shit! My unit's been doing it wrong. We're non-standard, I hope we don't have some crazy ROTC inspection.

I'm always suprised at the number of shades of green at any large gaggle of flight suiters. Crayola could fill a 64 box with just green.

Once again, i've got nothing constructive to add here. Just passing thru.

edit is fur pesky speln

Edited by slacker

Guest C-21 Pilot

Are you fvckin' kidding me, kid? A Flight Suit for getting a "pilot slot"? You gonna wear Randolph's as well?

So, ponder this, say that said kid goes and buys a $160 flight suit, wears it all over campus now 'cause he thinks it gives him some stature (it doesn't), gets to UPT, then washes out. Will said kid now go wear his flight suit to his Intel/Acquisition/Mx, etc job?

While I congratulate you on making the small step towards earning pilot wings, wearing a USAF flight suit to me is like a kid who gets accepted to medical school calling himself a doctor...

And don't even start it's a recruitment tool argument...

BTW, bet you can't fit into my 46L?

Back to lovely OKAS...damn, I need a beer.

Edited by C-21 Pilot

46L for me too. Sorry I couldn't hook you up. Not that I would, I'm just saying. I keed, I keed, but seriously, I really wouldn't.

Dude, my personal thoughts on the issue are you should wait until you get to UPT and let them issue you one. I know you want to impress the ladies and all that with your flight suit, but don't waste your money on a flight suit. Use that money wisely. Spend it on alcohol. If you do that, you are halfway to becoming a pilot. Ok, not halfway, but you've got the right mindset and that counts for something.

46L for me too. Sorry I couldn't hook you up. Not that I would, I'm just saying. I keed, I keed, but seriously, I really wouldn't.

Dude, my personal thoughts on the issue are you should wait until you get to UPT and let them issue you one. I know you want to impress the ladies and all that with your flight suit, but don't waste your money on a flight suit. Use that money wisely. Spend it on alcohol. If you do that, you are halfway to becoming a pilot. Ok, not halfway, but you've got the right mindset and that counts for something.

Plus, alcohol will get you more pu55y than a bag will. I'm proof.

Edited by BADFNZ

Dude, I did a few calculations for you:

Flight suit costs appx. 160 bucks. So here is what else you can do with it.

160 bucks, when I was in college, would buy about 16 cases of Milwaukee's Best Light at the local Class Six.

That's about 384 beers. Lets average out 10 beers a night for the sake or math (maybe a little high for you), that would give you appx 38 nights of drinking.

Anyone else think his priorities are out of order?

In other words, fvck the flightsuit. Drink beer. You will thank me later.

What if he can afford both?

This isn't a debate about whether cadets should wear flight suits. It's about whether THIS cadet should be the only pilot select at his det without one. If he has the coin and wants to spend it, I say go nuts.

By the way, cadets with pilot slots have been wearing flight suits for at least 20 years. Don't tell me you would have abstained out of some sort of moral indignation when you clowns were cadets.

Guest Ze Mole
Dude, I did a few calculations for you:

Flight suit costs appx. 160 bucks. So here is what else you can do with it.

160 bucks, when I was in college, would buy about 16 cases of Milwaukee's Best Light at the local Class Six.

That's about 384 beers. Lets average out 10 beers a night for the sake or math (maybe a little high for you), that would give you appx 38 nights of drinking.

Anyone else think his priorities are out of order?

In other words, fvck the flightsuit. Drink beer. You will thank me later.

Dude, Milwaukee's Beast? That's one step up from rubbing alcohol. I think investing it in some good Samuel Adams or IPA would be a lot more enjoyable. But if you just want to get shwasted, $10 worth of cheap booze will probably get you a lot further than 24 beers with <2% alcohol by volume.

Hell, just spend $160 on a couple dates with a girl who has low self esteem and you're guaranteed more play than just wearing the flight suit. I keed, I keed. But, seriously.

Dude, Milwaukee's Beast?

Ze Mole, you need to think like a broke college student. I love a Boston Lager just as much as the next guy, but in college, unless someone else was buying, that was not what I was drinking.

Tell ya what...in the interest of paying it forward...I have a small supply of 42R flight suits that are either new and too short (due to the great quality control from the manufacturer) or are the old "pocket pool" style that was phased out. I would be willing to part with them for a nominal donation for my time and effort (read: beer and/or bottle of booze). I realize they aren't the size requested so may not help you out Saz43, but perhaps someone else might need them. They're taking up my closet space and I can't bring myself to just throw them away. PM me if interested.

For the record, I wore a flight suit in ROTC...because I could. Anything that got me out of blues or BDUs (and thus being inspected) was A-OK in my book. I do however echo some of the other comments...it IS just a flight suit. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. When I was in nav school I had a pilot-select friend of mine (who was still at my old Det) tell me something along the lines of "ah well...that's because you're just a nav". As fate would have it, he med DQ'd before ever even sitting in an Air Force jet. Karma can be a bitch, so don't get too carried away with the ego before you've done anything.

Edited by Bergman

I wore a flight suit in ROTC once I got a pilot slot. They said we could. I did. Way better than wearing BDUs. Bring on the hate.

Saz43 I wouldn't buy one. I'd wear what you get issued, or I'd wait. If you do buy one, don't buy a cotton one and then get it mixed in with your other flight suits once you get to UPT. A cotton flight suit, although I'm sure more comfortable, is probably not too flame retardant. Plus concur on above, 200 bones is a lot of booze! College ladies like booze more than flight suits trust me.

Yeah, ROTC dudes have flying duties just like Space and Missile weenies. We already have too many stupid regs that say "You Shall NOT" If the rules say he can wear a bag, then damn it wear a bag!

Cheers,

BeerMan

2!

Exact same situation. I wore one in ROTC. And I was a badass! :rock:

Seriously though i wouldn't waste your money.

Guest Ze Mole
Ze Mole, you need to think like a broke college student. I love a Boston Lager just as much as the next guy, but in college, unless someone else was buying, that was not what I was drinking.

Oh I know where he's coming from. I to will be a drunken, broke college student for one more month, which is why I offered solution B (cheap booze). Just the other night my buddy and I found a $7 bottle of rum that was delicious, so imagine the possibilities if he ran out and bought 22 or so of those bad boys :rock:

Are you fvckin' kidding me, kid? A Flight Suit for getting a "pilot slot"? You gonna wear Randolph's as well?

So, ponder this, say that said kid goes and buys a $160 flight suit, wears it all over campus now 'cause he thinks it gives him some stature (it doesn't), gets to UPT, then washes out. Will said kid now go wear his flight suit to his Intel/Acquisition/Mx, etc job?

While I congratulate you on making the small step towards earning pilot wings, wearing a USAF flight suit to me is like a kid who gets accepted to medical school calling himself a doctor...

And don't even start it's a recruitment tool argument...

BTW, bet you can't fit into my 46L?

Back to lovely OKAS...damn, I need a beer.

ROTC regs allow them to wear the flightsuit, so I see no problem with wearing it. The rest of these guys are just "well, I had to EARN mine." So what. A reg is a reg. If they want to change it, then change it. The Academy pukes wear 'em all the time. So do casuals.

As for getting ahold of one, I recommend contacting a local AF/Reserve flying unit and seeing if your unit can exchange one (a size they need for a size you need).

Hell, just spend $160 on a couple dates with a girl who has low self esteem and you're guaranteed more play than just wearing the flight suit. I keed, I keed. But, seriously.

$160 bucks on a couple of dates? In college?

Dude, you're doing it wrong. I bet I didn't spend that much on 5 girls, let alone 5 dates. There were always free things to do, free movies, Fraternity parties. A bottle of Seagrams Seven and a band, you're out 10 bucks. Repeat 15 more times or buy a flight suit. I'll go with the former.

I would have worn a flight suit too in ROTC if I could have. It doesn't make it less gay, though.

Guest C-21 Pilot
ROTC regs allow them to wear the flightsuit, so I see no problem with wearing it. The rest of these guys are just "well, I had to EARN mine." So what. A reg is a reg. If they want to change it, then change it. The Academy pukes wear 'em all the time. So do casuals.

As for getting ahold of one, I recommend contacting a local AF/Reserve flying unit and seeing if your unit can exchange one (a size they need for a size you need).

Regulations allow for many stupid things....doesn't mean you should go do it. Still, stupid is as stupid does.

Guest gonzo

Instead of using the $$ to buy a flight suit, use it to buy something you will surely use for your enitre Air Force career, flyer or not, a sweet, pimped out reflective belt.