The "Eight Great Lies"

Steve Davies

A very crusty old fighter pilot recently sent me an email in which he espoused the use of several of the "eight great lies".

The five were:

1) "I'll respect you in the morning"

2) "I'll only put the head in"

3) "I promise I won't come in your mouth"

4) "Parts plus two hours"

5) "I'm not the regular crew chief"

So, who can say what the missing three are? And do you have any of your own to contribute?

I had heard "the cheque's in the post" was one, but I can't be sure...

Ideas?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always told the two biggest lies in the Air Force occur when the inspection team show up and says "We're here to help you" and the Wing Commander responds with "We're glad to have you"

How about AFPC - "Take this assignment, and we will give you a great follow-on."

Guest SATCOM

Told to millions of G.I.'s through the years...... "You sign up and complete 20 years in the US military and you'll have FREE Medical and Dental care for the rest of your life"

"You're the only crew available"

I got in a lot of trouble with that one.

Thinking back on it, telling the XO, "I guess you'll just have to get your magic hat and pull another gunner out of it" wasn't my smartest career move.

"The crew bus is on it's way", told by base command post.

HA! This is my biggest pet peeve in the Air Force. While waiting for the crew bus (and waiting, and waiting) at ETAR and seeing the pax buses lined up nicely doing nothing I can see how people get so mad at the picture of the school buses in the flooded parking lot during Katrina.

Guest Safe&Clear
"The crew bus is on it's way", told by base command post.

If they'd put the squadrons back on the flight line, where they belong, we wouldn't need crew busses. (But of course that's pointless unless they can come up with a way to park the airplanes adjacent to their respective squadrons-- that would be complicated.)

I got in a lot of trouble with that one.

Thinking back on it, telling the XO, "I guess you'll just have to get your magic hat and pull another gunner out of it" wasn't my smartest career move.

My wife's grandfather said something to that effect when he wasn't comfortable with the situation. The aircraft crashed and killed everyone on board. 'Not the smartest career move' saved his ass.