sǝıɔılod ɟɐsn

BQZip01

I thought I'd start a thread on USAF policies that don't make a heck of a lot of sense as a place where people can go to discuss "genius" ideas from leadership and ideas that aren't so bad. This is not meant as criticism of leadership, but as a place to discuss solutions to problems.

To start things off:

Bad idea: Reorganizing the Maintenance units under Operations (Ops guys don't need to focus on wrench turning and wrench turners don't need to focus on planning for a strike. It's the Wing Commander's job to balance the two while the Group Commanders can focus on accomplishing their marching orders)

Good idea: Rethinking this and keeping the units the way they currently are. Good job at the staff level

I thought I'd start a thread on USAF policies that don't make a heck of a lot of sense as a place where people can go to discuss "genius" ideas from leadership and ideas that aren't so bad. This is not meant as criticism of leadership, but as a place to discuss solutions to problems.

Ummm....like this?

And how did you get the topic to post upside down?

To start things off:

Bad idea: Reorganizing the Maintenance units under Operations (Ops guys don't need to focus on wrench turning and wrench turners don't need to focus on planning for a strike. It's the Wing Commander's job to balance the two while the Group Commanders can focus on accomplishing their marching orders)

Good idea: Rethinking this and keeping the units the way they currently are. Good job at the staff level

On the other hand, giving the OG/CC authority over MX would certainly cut down our number of MX cancels. There seems to be a disconnect in leadership in the MX group 'round here. As one of our wing schedulers put it: If we tell MX we need 6000 hours to meet RAP, MX will try to schedule 1 6000 sortie, while Ops will try to schedule 6000 1 hour sorties.

I'm in no way bitching about the dudes turning wrenching and fueling planes. I AM bitching about the guys who get a schedule with four morning goes and put three broke airplanes and the "spare" into those lines...all in the name of "efficiency".

On the other hand, giving the OG/CC authority over MX would certainly cut down our number of MX cancels. There seems to be a disconnect in leadership in the MX group 'round here. As one of our wing schedulers put it: If we tell MX we need 6000 hours to meet RAP, MX will try to schedule 1 6000 sortie, while Ops will try to schedule 6000 1 hour sorties.

I'm in no way bitching about the dudes turning wrenching and fueling planes. I AM bitching about the guys who get a schedule with four morning goes and put three broke airplanes and the "spare" into those lines...all in the name of "efficiency".

I think we're all agreed that 95% of the OPS vs. MX battle ain't the guys & gals on the line or in the shops, bending the wrenches and chasing the bubbles and sparks. It's the "leadership" of the MXS's and MXG's that is the biggest problem.

That remaining 5% is the mechs and techs I've seen on the line who are shoeclerks-in-training. Unfortunately, they are out there, and they start young. GOOD LEADERSHIP would "kill them before they breed", but we all know that's the exception, rather than the rule, anymore.

How the hell did the thread title get upside-down?? I though it was wormwords at first, too...

It's even upside-down in my IE window title bar.

I think we're all agreed that 95% of the OPS vs. MX battle ain't the guys & gals on the line or in the shops, bending the wrenches and chasing the bubbles and sparks. It's the "leadership" of the MXS's and MXG's that is the biggest problem.

That remaining 5% is the mechs and techs I've seen on the line who are shoeclerks-in-training. Unfortunately, they are out there, and they start young. GOOD LEADERSHIP would "kill them before they breed", but we all know that's the exception, rather than the rule, anymore.

Take it here.