Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

Well, at Kandahar...if you get caught without your reflective belt, they give a reflective belt and take your ID. Then, you must bring your boss in to retrieve your ID card and turn in the belt they loaned you. Just gonna say, no one is taking my ID card from me unless I am in cuffs and they take it out of my pocket, or Haji demands it when I land under parachute in his mud hut.

Just sayin'...

Which is sad because before the friggin AEF rolled into KAF that place used to be awesome. Bunch of Brits who didn't give two shits about shoeish policies.

Guest Crew Report

My friends, there is hope. Leaders who understand what is and what is not important DO exist. Although this is unconfirmed, it seems Manas leadership does not put up with the shoe-nazi patrols. Morale at Manas seems higher than at the other SWA locations.

That's because the current Wing King kicks ass all around.

That's because the current Wing King kicks ass all around.

I freaking love Manas, especially with the fast internet in the dorm rooms now. It was a little weird last time I was there though, what with all the civilians and little kids running around the place.

Hadn't seen anything official on that... still trouble brewing in Bishkek?

Not sure what I can say due to OPSEC, lets just say the price of fuel went up due to a foriegn influence, and we aren't willing to pay it.

Edited by PasserOGas

If it's the incident I'm thinking of, an enlisted dude tried to shoe an O-4, O-4 told him more or less to FOAD and the E got SQ leadership involved.

That's the one. The enlisted shoe got his SQ/CC (services, I think) involved. Sadly enough, the OG, much as I like him personally, folded.

It is also May. What happens in May? Yes, a lot of Air Force Officers, rated and shoes alike, get promoted. Now if anyone came to the Deid and forgot to bring their new rank they would quickly find they have a problem. The BX does not sell Officer rank anywhere on this base, none! However, they do have 22, counted them, 22 sets of Command Chief Master Sergeant rank. The must promote them like crazy out here.

If you're getting promoted to Major and didn't plan ahead on bringing rank with you to the Deid, then you've got bigger problems. I planned ahead and even have uniforms with me out here that are already sewn on with O-4. Guess that proves the old adage. Prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

Not sure what I can say due to OPSEC, lets just say the price of fuel went up due to a foriegn influence, and we aren't willing to pay it.

Without going any further, I'll tell you to watch the NOTAMs for this area of the world. That should give you a clue what's happening.

If you're getting promoted to Major and didn't plan ahead on bringing rank with you to the Deid, then you've got bigger problems. I planned ahead and even have uniforms with me out here that are already sewn on with O-4. Guess that proves the old adage. Prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

No, he was getting promoted to Capt and was not planning on going to the Deid, therefore did not bring any whith him, my point was why they have none, but do have over 20 sets of Command Chief rank.

No, he was getting promoted to Capt and was not planning on going to the Deid, therefore did not bring any whith him, my point was why they have none, but do have over 20 sets of Command Chief rank.

OK, my fault.

Without going any further, I'll tell you to watch the NOTAMs for this area of the world. That should give you a clue what's happening.

Yup, went to the DINS website and put in the ICAO for it, and all I gotta say is...holy crap!! :flipoff:

I'll throw the offer out...anyone stuck at the 'Deid who finds themselves in desperate need of stuff like rank or whatnot, send me a PM. I'll be more than happy to help out (within reason, of course). It's the least I can do. :salut:

Cheers! M2

I'm stuck at Balad, and I'm in desperate need of beer.... Hook me up??

OK, I'm kidding--great offer, M2. :beer:

I wish I could, but about all can do is offer to buy a couple of rounds the next time you're in SA! :drinking:

My friends, there is hope. Leaders who understand what is and what is not important DO exist. Although this is unconfirmed, it seems Manas leadership does not put up with the shoe-nazi patrols. Morale at Manas seems higher than at the other SWA locations.

This gives me hope....when I was at Manas back in like 07, it was far worse than the died.

1. Got yelled at for backing up a van literally out of a parking space, without a spotter.

2. Yelled at for having my hands in my pockets DURING A SNOW STORM

3. I had to go post the flying schedule in the ladies dorm, and was told by the vice commander that if I "lingered" i would be subject to article 32.

4. went to get my first beer of the day, but was told I would have to wait 10 minutes since my last beer was 23hrs and 50 minutes ago. They literally allow you your next days beers 24 hours later...so if you had your last at midnight, you couldnt have your next beer till midnight the next night.

5. Someone in the squadron got chased down for passing the wing king who was running, told he shouldnt drive so fast he passes runners/

6. Had the OG tell me "you should take off your moral patch, i mean i dont care the but wing commander would say something." I said "thanks for the warning" and kept it on. Really ticked him off but I wanted him to grow the sack to say "take off your moral patch" instead of passing the buck to someone else. He never said anything again.

Here is the kicker...when we arrived, we were told the Americans were forced for the previous week to wear body armor the entire time. Supposedly there was a vague threat made to the base. All the other countries were walking around in bermuda shorts and laughing at our boys.

There were some more stories but i cant remember them yet. But that was all from just a one month deployment!

Anyway...glad its better.

This gives me hope....when I was at Manas back in like 07, it was far worse than the died.

1. Got yelled at for backing up a van literally out of a parking space, without a spotter.

2. Yelled at for having my hands in my pockets DURING A SNOW STORM

3. I had to go post the flying schedule in the ladies dorm, and was told by the vice commander that if I "lingered" i would be subject to article 32.

4. went to get my first beer of the day, but was told I would have to wait 10 minutes since my last beer was 23hrs and 50 minutes ago. They literally allow you your next days beers 24 hours later...so if you had your last at midnight, you couldnt have your next beer till midnight the next night.

5. Someone in the squadron got chased down for passing the wing king who was running, told he shouldnt drive so fast he passes runners/

6. Had the OG tell me "you should take off your moral patch, i mean i dont care the but wing commander would say something." I said "thanks for the warning" and kept it on. Really ticked him off but I wanted him to grow the sack to say "take off your moral patch" instead of passing the buck to someone else. He never said anything again.

Here is the kicker...when we arrived, we were told the Americans were forced for the previous week to wear body armor the entire time. Supposedly there was a vague threat made to the base. All the other countries were walking around in bermuda shorts and laughing at our boys.

There were some more stories but i cant remember them yet. But that was all from just a one month deployment!

Anyway...glad its better.

I'm sure someone already posted this, but I'll say it again...we are the official laughing stock of the allied forces! :banghead:

Still cannot believe that the "Right Start" briefing at the Deid lasts 3 hours. How much usless information that could be handed to you to read, or even posted on the web is insane.

Guest Crew Report

The Wing King came up with a good idea at Manas. If you've been there in the past year and have done Right Start (which is not 3 hours long anymore), you'll be issued a Frequent Deployer Card and will be exempt from future Right Starts if you deploy there multiple times per year.

• Downvote 1

The Wing King came up with a good idea at Manas. If you've been there in the past year and have done Right Start (which is not 3 hours long anymore), you'll be issued a Frequent Deployer Card and will be exempt from future Right Starts if you deploy there multiple times per year.

Must be nice.

Still cannot believe that the "Right Start" briefing at the Deid lasts 3 hours. How much usless information that could be handed to you to read, or even posted on the web is insane.

It could probably be cut to an hour if all 30 briefers didn't repeat what the other one had already said. You don't have to remind me 100 times to drink water...it's freaking hot out.

Oh yeah, definitely a great idea! Especially if someone from Shell Ops gives the brief. Cash money.

sweet shit.... they're up to a solid 3 now? They grow each time I'm there. First one was 1.5, then 2, then 2.5... now they're up to 3???

I understand right start/right finish are requirements that are pushed down from higher levels than the leadership at AUAB, but there is NOTHING that can't be condensed down into a powerpoint slideshow that is accessible from the local intranet, similar to the chaplain's brief from the virtual outprocessing checklist. In order to complete right start, open the slide show, click like a madman, print the last slide, sign it, and give it to your sq shirt. That way the box is checked, the information is covered, and as little of your time as possible is wasted.

Pretty sad, when I touched down in Doha back in Sept of '90 I was given an in-brief by the First Shirt that probably lasted three minutes and I thought MORE than covered everything that was important.

If you treat people like adults, they might just surprise you, and act like them...