Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

I noticed the same thing when I went through there...granted I was only there for a couple days. At least they have real beer and not near-beers (which are really cans of empty promises). I did hear a story about some shoe at the gym from a reliable source. Someone was running on the tread mill and :gasp: their gym shirt came untucked. Said shoe went up and hit the emergency stop button and proceeded to berate the dude for having an untucked gym shirt. Un-######!ing believable.

Generally I absolutely HATE when someone throws rank around, and I try as hard as possible to avoid doing that, but if someone had the incredible gall to punch the red button on me and attempt to "berate" me as you describe it, they damn well better outrank me. If the person you are referring to outranked his berrator, he's a failure as an officer/NCO for not correcting that kind of lack of courtesy ON THE SPOT, and then informing the individual's shirt and squadron commander of their troop's lack of tact. It's one thing to politely correct someone on something like a shirt tail coming untucked, it's a whole other thing to do something like you describe. I think even if you are outranked by someone who does something like that, it's something to bring up to at least your leadership, if not theirs.

Generally I absolutely HATE when someone throws rank around, and I try as hard as possible to avoid doing that, but if someone had the incredible gall to punch the red button on me and attempt to "berate" me as you describe it, they damn well better outrank me. If the person you are referring to outranked his berrator, he's a failure as an officer/NCO for not correcting that kind of lack of courtesy ON THE SPOT, and then informing the individual's shirt and squadron commander of their troop's lack of tact. It's one thing to politely correct someone on something like a shirt tail coming untucked, it's a whole other thing to do something like you describe. I think even if you are outranked by someone who does something like that, it's something to bring up to at least your leadership, if not theirs.

Unfortunately, every time that's been tried, poor Sgt Snuffy goes VFR direct to his commander, and the ranking officer gets hammered by their own commander for being rude and not following the rules. Whether they were being rude or not.

Guest DrewzerNC

"I did hear a story about some shoe at the gym from a reliable source." -- :banghead:

The worst part is it starts at least a two-page response on what - insert random bad-ass - would have done. Doubt it ever happened.

Upon "hanging out" in Baghdad for a rotation in 06, I transited the Deid on the return trip. Swung by my neighbor's (back at Offutt) room to see if he wanted to have a cold one and was met by his roomie. Introductions, then he welcomes me to, "... the suck-ass Deid." I asked, "What?" He replies by telling me what a piece of crap this place is with the rules and general shoe clerkery. I asked, " Which is the absolute worst? The off base trips or not getting mortared and rocketed?

You want to argue about who is a warrior and who isn't?

During his voluntary 365-day tour in Afghanistan as a medical technician, Staff Sergeant David Velasquez completed more than 90 convoys and numerous missions with the Provincial Reconstruction Team and Quick Response Forces. His team was fired upon on virtually every mission, surviving eight serious attacks to their convoys.

In one instance, Sergeant Velasquez’s convoy was en route to the U.S. Embassy when it was hit by an improvised explosive device. The vehicle directly in front of Sergeant Velasquez was heavily damaged and two of its passengers were killed. His vehicle’s turret gunner fell into the vehicle on fire and suffered severe shrapnel wounds to his left arm. Sergeant Velasquez quickly extinguished the flames, stopped the bleeding, and administered life-saving medical aid. Instead of moving directly to the safety of the embassy, Sergeant Velasquez remained on the scene, scanned the area for enemy and assisted the remaining casualties.

On another mission, his convoy came under attack by small arms fire and rocket-propelled grenades resulting in several casualties. Under withering fire, Sergeant Velasquez left his vehicle to tend to two wounded Afghan soldiers stranded in a disabled vehicle. He removed the most severely wounded from the wreckage to an area behind a small rock wall that offered cover. Under constant enemy fire, Sergeant Velasquez remained with the American and Afghan casualties providing medical care for several hours until the survivors were evacuated.

On a third convoy operation, Sergeant Velasquez’s team again came under fire. With total disregard for his own safety, he immediately came to the aid of eight wounded whose injuries included broken bones and serious shrapnel wounds to the head, arms, and legs. He triaged and treated all eight casualties until the medical evacuation team arrived. One of the wounded had been initially treated with a tourniquet. Sergeant Velasquez slowly removed the tourniquet and applied a Quickclot bandage. His quick thinking and medical expertise throughout the engagement is credited with saving the lives of his teammates and the arm of the Afghan soldier.

“I was only doing my job, nothing special.” Those who have received life-saving medical attention in the heat of battle from Staff Sergeant David Velasquez would argue otherwise.

Rant over.

*Edited for bad link. Cut and pasted instead,

Edited by DrewzerNC

Upon "hanging out" in Baghdad for a rotation in 06, I transited the Deid on the return trip. Swung by my neighbor's (back at Offutt) room to see if he wanted to have a cold one and was met by his roomie. Introductions, then he welcomes me to, "... the suck-ass Deid." I asked, "What?" He replies by telling me what a piece of crap this place is with the rules and general shoe clerkery. I asked, " Which is the absolute worst? The off base trips or not getting mortared and rocketed?

My link

Rant over.

Nobody's denying there are people who have it far worse. The difference is in other bases the suck is caused by the enemy attacks or natural conditions. Not members of our own military.

Nobody's denying there are people who have it far worse. The difference is in other bases the suck is caused by the enemy attacks or natural conditions. Not members of our own military.

DING DING DING!! You just answered the million dollar question our leadership STILL fails to understand.

No need - the vast majority of us in these forums are keenly aware of who is, and who is not, a warrior... especially in the context of this thread.

During his voluntary 365-day tour in Afghanistan as a medical technician, Staff Sergeant David Velasquez completed more than 90 convoys and numerous missions with the Provincial Reconstruction Team and Quick Response Forces. His team was fired upon on virtually every mission, surviving eight serious attacks to their convoys.

I'm sure as a model American warrior he was wearing his reflective belt and had his shirt tucked in during each of these attacks.

I shiver at the tought of how this hero would have been treated had he transited the 'Deid and made the mistake of commiting a minor uniform infraction.

Bingo. I'd rather be in a more austere locale, with the threat of enemy fire, and be REMF free.

I am at one of said "more austere" locales (well, more austere than the Deid...which is anywhere) and it is certainly not REMF free. REMF's/shoe clerks/whatever you want to call these douchebags can be found anywhere.

So, is the Combat Desert Penguin still being published?

Coup at 379th AEW

Edited for linky no worky.

Its last issue featured a sheep having its way with the Med Gp/CC's bicycle (the same one he put Colonel's wings on and insisted everyone had to salute...I wish I was joking). In any case, the whole experiment disappeared shortly after that.

Latest REMF story...

So, buddy of mine was at the caddy, changing out of his flight suit and into PT gear. While he IS IN THE MIDDLE OF CHANGING, some SSgt REMFs him for having on a tan shirt and PT shorts...because that's an unauthorized uniform combo. Buddy's response was an uncreative, but effective, "I don't f$%&ing care". Said SSgt goes on to REMF 2 other people in the caddy, for the same thing.

On a somewhat related note, I was turned away from a caddy so that a DD and his minions could repaint over the "graffiti". That paint won't even be dry before the next person writes something on the wall. Are these people really so clueless as to think you can corral thousands of military men together, and believe that they WON'T write dirty limericks and phone numbers on the stall doors? Wait, I think I answered my own question there.

the Deid CC's blog. Kool-aid or something you read?

'Grand Slam' Wing

i just read his blog on 'SF Defenders' and anyone would think he had been watching Delta or the SAS at work. That said, I thought his blogs about the C-130 and C-17 airdrops were excellent.

The C-130J 403d folks were my peeps. I'm glad they're coming back so I can fly again (still attached). Great squadron, it doesn't suprise my that they kicked ass.

The Deid has reached a new low. This place will be “dry” by the end of the week!

Apparently the base is planning on downsizing AFFES (ie. subway, pizza hut and those other shops by the bra), which will leave a few Qatar locals looking for a new job. I guess this has upset some Qatar General and he is refusing to sign the no objection letter to bring alcohol onto the base. As of now, alcohol is expected to run out by the end of the week.

Anyone have a good recipe for prison gin?

Damn this place, damn it to hell.

Dude.....give it a few weeks. Same thing happened last year leading up to the Super Bowl. Most of the beer was diverted into the AOR areas for guys that don't get beer on a regular basis. The flow will start up again after the Super Bowl....until then, drink up as much of the good stuff as you can. Canadian Whiskey sucks...... :beer:

Dude.....give it a few weeks. Same thing happened last year leading up to the Super Bowl. Most of the beer was diverted into the AOR areas for guys that don't get beer on a regular basis. The flow will start up again after the Super Bowl....until then, drink up as much of the good stuff as you can. Canadian Whiskey sucks...... :beer:

Not if the Qatari general doesn't sign the order. The rumor is, they don't even bring the beer over from the states, they get it from a downtown distributor. Probably the same distributor who supplies it to the international hotels.

the Deid CC's blog. Kool-aid or something you read?

'Grand Slam' Wing

i just read his blog on 'SF Defenders' and anyone would think he had been watching Delta or the SAS at work. That said, I thought his blogs about the C-130 and C-17 airdrops were excellent.

That was a pretty gay blog.

I really don't think a hostage situation on a military base would be handled by SF. I know some more qualified people pretty close by.

Apparently the only topics worth discussing are how great of a time he had at whatever event he was at last night and his execs. Riveting.

No shit. Honestly, who reads this drivel?

Guest Hueypilot812

"I did hear a story about some shoe at the gym from a reliable source." -- :banghead:

The worst part is it starts at least a two-page response on what - insert random bad-ass - would have done. Doubt it ever happened.

Hmmmm, spent a year at a base that got rocketed and mortared. No off base trips because Baghdad isn't particularly fun for tourism right now. Flew into a few airfields where there was zero US presence at all, and spent my time on the ramp with all my battle rattle on. Had a plan to crank up the airplane with just myself and the flying crew chief in case JAM showed up. And yes, I'd prefer that year to any 120-day stint at the Deid. Still shoe clerks down-range, but on a reduced scale...and I never once wore my reflective belt...ever....in an entire year.

The Deid has reached a new low. This place will be "dry" by the end of the week!

Apparently the base is planning on downsizing AFFES (ie. subway, pizza hut and those other shops by the bra), which will leave a few Qatar locals looking for a new job. I guess this has upset some Qatar General and he is refusing to sign the no objection letter to bring alcohol onto the base. As of now, alcohol is expected to run out by the end of the week.

Anyone have a good recipe for prison gin?

Damn this place, damn it to hell.

I haven't heard that one on the AAFES piece...do not believe that to be the case. However, we did not get our alcohol authorization renewed by the Qatari's (no fault of ours...we had it in when we were supposed to). Do not think it will be approved anytime soon but we will have some kind of party for the SuperBowl. After that, believe we will be going 'dry' fairly soon.

REMF

I really don't think a hostage situation on a military base would be handled by SF. I know some more qualified people pretty close by.

Can't speak for the "new guys"...but the EST I was on attended a bunch of civilian SWAT schools, covering everything from Hostage situations, dynamic entry, barricaded targets, you name it. I know some bases still send teams and individuals though those types of things. Don't let the random Airmen gate guards or new patrolmen getting their ears wet trick you into thinking all cops are from the same mold. (I mean, I don't think ALL F-15 guys suck dick...) There are AF Cops that have been though the very same training the "more qualified" people you referenced have been though.