Blues on Monday

okienav

Offutt mandated long-sleeve shirts with a tie for all from now through March. What's next? Mandatory cardigan sweaters?

WTFO? Who gives a flying fvck? Almost makes me glad I'm in a tenant unit and don't have to deal with a Wing full of idiots...

Offutt mandated long-sleeve shirts with a tie for all from now through March. What's next? Mandatory cardigan sweaters?

Oh dear God. That's typical 55WG ops, though.

I own a long sleeve shirt, but it is horribly tight around the neck. I'm also a flight-suit-sleeves-pushed-up kind of guy. If I'm wearing a civvie long sleeve shirt, I usually find some way to roll or push up the sleeves. Don't know why, but it happens.

My ANG unit subscribes to it, and every monday we begrudgingly put our blues on, because the CSAF said so, and well, he's a General and I'm not. The only saving grace is we can wear whatever we want. Now, we need every other jackass telling what kind of blues we can wear? Get bent.

Oh dear God. That's typical 55WG ops, though.

I own a long sleeve shirt, but it is horribly tight around the neck. I'm also a flight-suit-sleeves-pushed-up kind of guy. If I'm wearing a civvie long sleeve shirt, I usually find some way to roll or push up the sleeves. Don't know why, but it happens.

My ANG unit subscribes to it, and every monday we begrudgingly put our blues on, because the CSAF said so, and well, he's a General and I'm not. The only saving grace is we can wear whatever we want. Now, we need every other jackass telling what kind of blues we can wear? Get bent.

You know you miss it here

Looks like all of ACC is involved now:

From my SQ/CC

"I learned yesterday that COMACC is directing long sleeve shirts for blues starting 1 December. What this means to you—on Mondays when you are wearing your blues after 1 Dec, you need to be wearing a long sleeve shirt and tie. Ties are not optional on the long sleeve shirt, so make sure you big neck folks can button the top button and strap on a tie. Buy now before the uniform store runs out."

FVUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Monday morning, 0648 CST. It is now time to stop reading Baseops and go put on my long sleeve Blues. Can they find a way to make Monday any worse? Oh well, at least many of us have tomorrow off! Tonight, I drink again!

The previous statement has been totally random bitching.

• 2 weeks later...

Well between a deployment and comp time, tomorrow is the first time I am having to wear blues to work.... (Long exasperated sigh.)

The following avatars sum up any long rambling complaint I would type. :flipoff::bash:

Guest Safe&Clear

A slightly different topic here, but along the same lines: I've been in a joint environment for, well, a while now, so I'm just curious if the AF is the only service still mandating green flight suits even during the balls-hot days of summer??

Army, Navy, Coast Guard (??), and USMC all allow deserts from 1 April to 1 October. (OK, Navy dudes basically wear whatever whenever, but the others have specific summers/winters cutoff dates just like with their dress uniforms.)

I can't speak for many other places, but in ACC, we wear the green flightsuits year-round when in the CONUS.

I believe the Wing Commander has the authority to change this, at least for the short term.

Umm, there's a difference in the fabric, besides just the color?

there are both summer and winter weight flight suits. Summer is clearly marked while the heavier are not.

Scooter, if it's any consolation, the Guard here is also playing in this silliness. Title 10 > Title 32

now that I gotta see!

In my AFRC SQ, we wear green bags year-round. SQ policy says we wear tan bags only if we're going to the sandbox.

Pretty sure it's the same rule for the AMC SQ's as well.

Guest Safe&Clear

Yep, just found the reg. It does state that "DFDU"s (deserts) will not be worn on a day-to-day basis in the CONUS.

I wonder why that is? The AF is the only service differentiating between the two for everyday wear. Odd...

It's nice to wear deserts in the summer no matter where you are-- definitely more comfortable on a 98-degree day in Texas.

I can't speak for many other places, but in ACC, we wear the green flightsuits year-round when in the CONUS.

I believe the Wing Commander has the authority to change this, at least for the short term.

I'm ACC (Barksdale) and we're wearing long sleeves starting next week. Not looking forward to it though...

What concerns me about the long sleeves is that there appears to be no consideration made for weather. In North Dakota, it isn't going to get so warm that it's going to matter, but Louisiana is still in the 70s. I guess that's up to the base commanders to make that call, but from their quick reactions, I would assume they are just going to go along with whatever comes down.

I think that a detailed explanation (which is lacking) would solve a lot of these problems/questions.

Myself and another copilot will definitely be rocking the nogs and blues on monday at our sim. :bohica: Pictures to follow :thumbsup:

Over a month and no picts?!? Still waiting...

In '95-96, when I was in the Corps, then-Commandant Gen Krulak saw the problem I addressed above, and decided to try something new. He started a program called "MarineMail", basically an email address that any Marine, from Private to General, could use to communicate directly to the Commandant of the Marine Corps. No one else had access to the email, unless the CMC chose to share it with the staff to address the issue. The only direction given was that if you were bitching about a problem, present at least one possible solution to it, to show you weren't just a whiner.

Boy, did all the old-Corps dinosaurs bitch! "Good God, the Commandant's done away with the chain of command!" "Private Schmuckatelly is gonna run the Corps into the ground!" Guess what - the system did NOT get abused (with one exception I can recall). In fact, several Marines who sent issues into MarineMail ended up getting surprise visits from the CMC - most were presented with awards, at least one (that I remember) was meritoriously promoted on-the-spot, and a couple saw their "possible solutions" implemented (with only minor changes) as USMC policy.

I don't think MarineMail exists anymore - several of Gen Krulak's changes/initiatives were reversed when he retired. My personal opinion is that in the US Air Force of 2008, a program like MarineMail won't work. Too many idiot Airmen out there who think that not having a hot-tub in the dorms is worthy of the CSAF's attention; too many SNAPs who think that because Maj Xxxy is tough on him, CSAF should give the SNAP a freebie and smash Maj Xxxy's bag.

If I am EVER in charge of the Air Force, I WILL institute a system like this. Leadership NEEDS to be approachable and this guy epitomized it and showed what it could do. I think the Marine Corps benefited from this and those Marines I know concur with this style of leadership.

B!tching needs to be done at the bar (and this is its virtual equivalent), then let it go.

The 66th RQS at Nellis (ACC unit) wears tan in the summer. Just like you said above, the WG/CC gave them the waiver/permission/omni-omni-vor/whatever. I'm not sure if the 55gh RQS at DM does the same thing or not.

Guest JollyFlight21
The 66th RQS at Nellis (ACC unit) wears tan in the summer. Just like you said above, the WG/CC gave them the waiver/permission/omni-omni-vor/whatever. I'm not sure if the 55gh RQS at DM does the same thing or not.

That got canned.