Family hopping in the back seat

Guest F16crewdwgg

Guest F16crewdwgg

I always wondered, when your actually active duty and your assigned to lets say an F-16D (2 seater). What if you wanted to give your brother or father a ride in the back with you. If they are healthy enough to pass the physical is this allowed?

:aviator::moon::pow-mia:

Guest Bogey

My only experience with such things was putting together a "Fam Flight" for my unit on a C-17. I cannot quote AFIs or anything, but to the best of my knowledge (recalling the AFIs I referenced back then) the only "ride" that fast movers can give are Taxi rides down the runway. Press people fall under a special category, and that is why they are able to go along on flights sometimes. Hope that helps some, but the Air Force is way too stringent to allow something like that to happen.

Guest 055-NOS
My only experience with such things was putting together a "Fam Flight" for my unit on a C-17. I cannot quote AFIs or anything, but to the best of my knowledge (recalling the AFIs I referenced back then) the only "ride" that fast movers can give are Taxi rides down the runway. Press people fall under a special category, and that is why they are able to go along on flights sometimes. Hope that helps some, but the Air Force is way too stringent to allow something like that to happen.

I was told you need egress training to even sit in the seat.

They made me get the physiology training (including the chamber) and egress training before I got to ride in a 16, and then there was also the flight check-up and the part where they fitted me up with all of the gear (g-suit, mask/helmet, etc.). All in all I'd say it took roughly 15-20 hrs of time (and probably a decent chunk of change) just to let a cadet ride along on a training mission. I'm surprised they even invest all of those resources into giving a cadet a ride.

P.S. This is has been killing me since I joined - what does (sts) mean?

That's correct. That's why we're not supposed to let people set in the seats at airshows (this is waiverable if you're a hot chick).

What Bogey referenced is called a 'Spouse Taxi' where they taxi out, get armed up, then fire up the engines and get to about 100 knots down the runway before the abort and taxi back.

So to speak. Look it up.

EDIT: Fury is better than me at spelling

That's correct. That's why we're not supposed to let people set in the seats at airshows (this is waiverable if you're a hot chick).

Haha, along the same line:

Schmuck @ airshow - "That your plane?"

Pilot- "Yup"

Schmuck- "Mind if I sit in in?"

Pilot- "Mind if I fvck your wife?"

Guest Bogey

They made me get the physiology training (including the chamber) and egress training before I got to ride in a 16, and then there was also the flight check-up and the part where they fitted me up with all of the gear (g-suit, mask/helmet, etc.). All in all I'd say it took roughly 15-20 hrs of time (and probably a decent chunk of change) just to let a cadet ride along on a training mission. I'm surprised they even invest all of those resources into giving a cadet a ride.

True, and as a cadet you need the training...as an LT I needed the training, but if you're just a civ, you will not get a flight unless you're Press or know a General or something, best you can hope for is the Taxi ride.

Guest F16crewdwgg

Awesome, thanks guys for clearing that up. :beer:

What Bogey referenced is called a 'Spouse Taxi' where they taxi out, get armed up, then fire up the engines and get to about 100 knots down the runway before the abort and taxi back.

For some reason I had am image of doing about 100 knots opening the canopy and kicking her out.. but that would be like

"Ex Spouse Taxi" or something of the like.

Heres to another hard days work :jd:

Don't they do the "Spouse taxi" at UPT? Isn't it an IP who usually does it too?

"honest, it just took off, I didn't mean to"

Don't they do the "Spouse taxi" at UPT? Isn't it an IP who usually does it too?

"honest, it just took off, I didn't mean to"

Yup, they do it also (sts) at UPT. Yes, it's ALWAYS an IP...never a stud.

Guest bravodelta79

I've got some ideas for a mother-in-law ride along...

"Ready to go inverted? Oh, we didn't strap you in?!? HOLD ON!"

we're doing spouse flights this Sat for all the Ops and MX Group Spouses. Crewmembers and spouses cannot be on the same aircraft at the same time.

Guest soflguy
And it's only for spouses of IPs, right?

No, at least here at Vance... stud wives get it too (sts)

We just had a spouse taxi day for the Ops and AMU spouses last week. I admit that I was def skeptical about whether or not the spouses would enjoy it; but most of the spouses enjoyed the ride (sts) and were able to learn a good bit about what their spouse does and how his/her job contributes to mission completion.

we're doing spouse flights this Sat for all the Ops and MX Group Spouses. Crewmembers and spouses cannot be on the same aircraft at the same time.

There's gotta be a legal way - my SQ did a Spouse Flight last summer, and my wife got to fly with me, along with 3 other guys and their wives. The event was blessed by both the WG/CC and OG/CC (who is notorious for saying "No" to things).

HUGE spousal-harmony booster if your spouse likes airplanes.

I always wondered, when your actually active duty and your assigned to lets say an F-16D (2 seater). What if you wanted to give your brother or father a ride in the back with you. If they are healthy enough to pass the physical is this allowed?

:aviator::moon::pow-mia:

Being that Luke AFB is only a 30 minute drive from our det, we get some good hook ups with incentive rides. Its pretty strict for us. Gotta have a passing DoDmerb, egress, incentive physical, a retarded order of merit set up, and you've gotta be chamber certified (done at Holloman and coming out of your own pocket) to go above 18,000 and because its not like some airmen thats getting a custom flight set up for him thats below 18k, we take what we can to stay out of the way of training and the missions. So its, "Get in, sit down, shut up, and hold on". Not a bad thing though considering your going for a ride in a multi million dollar fighter that most airmen would kill you over if they wouldn't get caught. The looks we get while on base from the enlisted airmen are scary enough.

Edited by yerfer

I'm not. If someone goes up and see's that flying isn't their deal, they won't apply for a pilot slot. If they go up and love it, maybe that'll be their extra boost of motivation to do better in school and rotc to get it.

I heard some kid from the academy came down for a ride. Super stoked on becoming a fighter pilot, already had his pilot slot. So there he is, ready for his first incentive ride in a fighter.

The dude freaked out half way through the flight and turned down his pilot slot afterwards. Happens.

Incentive flights are a great way to see if flying is a real interest. JMO.

I've seen cadets come back from rides more pumped than before about flying. I've also seen people come back acting like it wasn't a big deal or something they want any part of.

There's gotta be a legal way - my SQ did a Spouse Flight last summer, and my wife got to fly with me, along with 3 other guys and their wives.

Maybe that rule only applies to ejection seat a/c? Just a guess.

Maybe that rule only applies to ejection seat a/c? Just a guess.

"stract" is a helo guy. No ejection seats in a -60 (no matter what the airshow experts try to tell you... :flipoff: ).

I've heard the "rule" about crewmembers and spouses not flying on the same aircraft, but like I said, we flew in the same aircraft, with WG/CC and OG/CC blessing. Both were present during the spouses brief, and both remarked about how lucky they were to be able to do it.

If someone really wants to know the regs used to support our flight, I'll ask the pilot who set it up the next time I see him (which might be a while).

Keep in mind we're AFRC. Might be a difference, might not be...