Tuition Assistance - Am I getting screwed?

MooseAg03

I have a specific question about the AF Tuition Assistance. I'm on a long casual stint, and I've started working on my master's. I was told at the education office that TA only covers TUITION, and that no fees whatsoever are paid for. When you fill out the online application, it even asks for REQUIRED fees and says they will be paid. I tried to input my required fees and the education counselor made me remove them before she would approve my TA request.

I'm only taking one class and the fees are like $600 (TA only paid the $276 tuition), and I can't use MGIB since I haven't been in for 2 years yet. Every reference I can find about TA online says that it pays required fees and tuition up to $250 per credit hour. Does anyone know of an AFI or other reg that I can take to the education office and force them to pay my fees for future classes? :bash: I'd like to take some more classes this summer, but not if I have to shell out of pocket for all of the fees...

Thanks in advance...

Be happy that you're getting anything. You're on a long "casual" stint -- you're getting some TA, and you get a salary, BAH, time in service/grade, etc.

I'm on a long "already commissioned but sitting on my ass for six months waiting for my EAD because the AF doesn't want to pay me to sit around and be 'casual'" stint -- not only am I getting no salary, I'm getting no TA either for the 15 hours I'm taking in these six months. Hey, at least I can go to the dentist though (assuming the NCOIC can get the paperwork done between now and June).

I feel your pain.

OK, I'm confused. What "fees" are you talking about? And how are you taking grad school classes where the tuition is only $276? I am working on a second masters, and tuition is costing $825/semester. It's been a few years since I got my first masters and I am no longer on active duty; but if you are still getting 100% tuition assistance than you should be getting at least $750 a class ($250/hr). You get squat for books and whatnot.

I am lucking out as my company is paying tuition reimbursement, not quite as good as TA in as I have to pass the class before I get paid for it; but at least someone else is paying for it!

And I would also advocate being grateful to be getting paid to sit around on casual status, back in "the day" we all waited to get on active duty, some folks up to a year! I was lucky as I only had five months...

Cheers! M2

outlaw, I'm guessing you're waiting because you were ROTC or something? I don't think it's my fault you're stuck with no pay waiting on EAD, but since I am in and I am already working I'm going to take advantage of my benefits. So if I'm not getting the full advantage of my tuition assistance, that's what I'm worried about. I'm not going to accept what they decide to pay me if it's not what they're supposed to be doing according to the regs. If you're ROTC I'm willing to bet you had some sort of scholarship, but I'm still in the process of paying off $25,000 in student loans, and since I'm told I need a Master's Degree to be promotable, I feel it's only right for the Air Force to do all they're supposed to do to pay for it.

M2,

The tuition is reasonable because it's a small state school and I pay resident tuition, plus I'm only taking one 3 hour class right now. The fees I'm charged with are a large distance education fee, registration fees, computer access fees, etc... These are all "required" fees that you must pay to register, so I figured they would be paid for. There is even another guy I've talked to who is getting the full $750 toward his classes which covered almost all of his tuition and fees, minus books (his total was close to $800). So I guess when I get back from TDY I'll go to the education office and see what's up.

It certainly sounds like you're getting screwed. Wouldn't be the first time finance or the education office botched something.

And what is up with "you're casual, STFU and enjoy your paycheck"? I'm gonna file that one away next time I see someone bitching about finance botching their travel voucher. "STFU, you're getting paid to fly an airplane to exotic locales".

Yeah, this sounds hosed. Your plan to go back to the ed office and ask about it is a good idea; but I would advocate talking with somebody different this time...

Cheers! M2

It certainly sounds like you're getting screwed. Wouldn't be the first time finance or the education office botched something.

Why do the shoeclerks get blamed all the time. Per the first post, it was said the tuition was $276. That's what TA is for, to pay the tuition. Sounds like the school is screwing people with extra fees.

Also, Finance has nothing to do with TA except for collecting $$ when the course isn't completed. Get the facts from the education office.

And what is up with "you're casual, STFU and enjoy your paycheck"? I'm gonna file that one away next time I see someone bitching about finance botching their travel voucher. "STFU, you're getting paid to fly an airplane to exotic locales".

Awesome! :thumbsup:

Try this link

Military.com is a great source of info; although not the source document itself. This seems to indicate that you should get the fees as well. I'll try finding the AFI and posting what I find.

FYI, the shoes get blamed because they run the education office.

The AFI: AFI36-2306 16 OCTOBER 2000

5.1. The Annual Appropriation Act, DoD, and AF policies authorize TA. Individuals may receive TA

without a formal contract between the institution and the Air Force. Requests for changes to the TA

policy must be submitted to HQ USAF/DPDE for approval.

5.2. The Air Force will pay tuition assistance at the rate of:

5.2.1. 75% of the combined cost of tuition and authorized fees up to a maximum of $187.50 per

semester hour credit for voluntary off-duty education.

5.2.2. 100% of the combined cost of tuition and authorized fees up to a maximum of $187.50 per

semester hour credit for voluntary off-duty education for:

5.2.2.1. Off-duty courses leading to the completion of a high school diploma or an equivalent

certificate.

5.2.2.2. Members deployed to a specified contingency area.

Some of this may be OBE since this is 8 years old; as a matter-of-fact, I know part of it is old. But, make them show you any policy changes in writing. If they won't, ask to speak to a supervisor. Take a copy of this page of the AFI with you, be nice but firm. If they can't show you anything contrary to the stated policy above then get your CC involved. They may say that the fees aren't authorized; if so, ask for a published list of authorized fees.

Guest tmickel

I don't know the reference, but I do know TA is supposed to pay for most mandatory fees as well. And that info is old -- it covers up to 100% for all categories.

I don't know the reference, but I do know TA is supposed to pay for most mandatory fees as well. And that info is old -- it covers up to 100% for all categories.

And that would be why I wrote, "Some of this may be OBE since this is 8 years old; as a matter-of-fact, I know part of it is old"

Bottom line: That's the current AFI.

I'm only taking one class and the fees are like $600 (TA only paid the $276 tuition), and I can't use MGIB since I haven't been in for 2 years yet. Every reference I can find about TA online says that it pays required fees and tuition up to $250 per credit hour.

Key words from the AFI are, "Authorized Fees". It could be these are not auth. fees. I suspect these fees may not be related to the class, but institutional fees and could probably be only one-time fees not charged on later classes.

Guest Gonads
Key words from the AFI are, "Authorized Fees". It could be these are not auth. fees. I suspect these fees may not be related to the class, but institutional fees and could probably be only one-time fees not charged on later classes.

What TA pays for is tuition and fees associated with specific classes. One time fees such as registration fees aren't covered. Class fees like lab fees or whatever that are associated with a class are covered. Thats just the way it is.

• 1 year later...
Guest EN_GRAD

Anyone ever had to drop a class past the add/drop date that was paid for with TA?

My orders were bumped up for IFF and now I need to drop my masters class before I start. The school is telling me that if do, the AF will not be reimbursed for my TA…which means I’ll have to pay the AF back the money.

Is there any TA exception for getting orders and having to drop a class? I checked AFI 36-2306 and didn’t find anything there.

Anyone ever had to drop a class past the add/drop date that was paid for with TA?

My orders were bumped up for IFF and now I need to drop my masters class before I start. The school is telling me that if do, the AF will not be reimbursed for my TA…which means I’ll have to pay the AF back the money.

Is there any TA exception for getting orders and having to drop a class? I checked AFI 36-2306 and didn’t find anything there.

You should check with the education office. There may be exceptions for mission related reasons.

Sorry for this question, my husband is currently killing a bunny/rooster..

I know that this question has nothing to do with TA, but it does have to deal with the GI bill...

I went to the Post 9/11 GI bill info site, and it said "No longer accepting Applications, please check back.."

How does the GI Bill work? I guessed that if you qualified for the GI Bill, that you just got it.. is that not the case?

I had to drop a class past the last day to drop due to an extended TDY that dropped down. At the end of the semester, the education office sent me an AF form, can't remember the specific number, that basically said I was responsible for reimbursing them the cost of the TA due to the withdrawal. On the back, it had a couple options for me to choose from and sign, among which were: I agree to pay the amount above in full; I wish to seek a waiver to this TA reimbursement due to... and then it had a number of reasons to select, one of which was TDY. So I checked the waiver due to tdy box, had to get it signed by my immediate supervisor, and turned it back to the edu office. It took a few months to review (at my former base it took the chief of the education flight, apparently at others (like my current) it can just be whoever runs the TA program), but they approved the waiver. Hope the info helps...

I had to drop a class late into a semester a couple years ago. I appealed directly to the Bursar of the school for reimbursement (which was approved). AF got their money back.

You gotta pay in to get stuff out!

My Husband did pay the kicker back when he was in BMT in 98. He has used the bill once, and still has time/money on it.

With the post 9/11 GI bill, you are supposed to be able to transfer it to your spouse or children.

My Husband did pay the kicker back when he was in BMT in 98. He has used the bill once, and still has time/money on it.

With the post 9/11 GI bill, you are supposed to be able to transfer it to your spouse or children.

I've browsed the VA website about the new post 9/11 GI Bill and it seems like they don't really know what the deal is on it yet. It doesn't start paying benefits until June 2009 or something like that and I think Congress is still passing/considering bills that would modify it somewhat. Check out these links and it should be clear as mud :)

VA Website

Military.com Overview

p.s. - hope your husband's having fun...I'm sure it still freezing up there

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question... I'm about to EAD and I'll be working on 2 classes while I'm down at ASBC. ASBC will be en-route to my base. The first class starts before my EAD date, and therefore I'm ineligible for TA for that class (from what I've been told). However, the second one starts during my last week of ASBC. How would I run the gauntlet for this? Should I apply through Maxwell's Education office before the course starts, or wait till I get to my base a week and a half after the course starts?

Quick question... I'm about to EAD and I'll be working on 2 classes while I'm down at ASBC. ASBC will be en-route to my base. The first class starts before my EAD date, and therefore I'm ineligible for TA for that class (from what I've been told). However, the second one starts during my last week of ASBC. How would I run the gauntlet for this? Should I apply through Maxwell's Education office before the course starts, or wait till I get to my base a week and a half after the course starts?

Are you going through Embry Rid(iculous)dle? At least at Vance, the teachers are great at working with you. I actually got paid for a class that started before I EAD, so that is possible. I coordinated through my teacher to make up the two weeks I would miss and the Riddle office signed off on all my TA stuff. I would talk to your prof and tell him your situation, pretty sure they'll work with you.

/

Just had a brief on this from the VA yesterday... He can "convert" from the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB, Chapter 30) to the 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33). However, he can only take whatever benefits he has left on his MGIB over to the 9/11, and once you go 9/11 you can go back to MGIB. Chapter 33 is an awesome deal in many ways but doesn't pay for some things that MGIB will; flight training for example. Of course not a big deal for "Mr. The Kayla" but what about wife/kids? See the VA website for complete details.

Yes, you can pass 9/11 educational benefits to wife/kids, but you have to be on active duty on the day the 9/11 GI bill kicks in (Aug 09). You can even give X% to wife and Y% to kid(s) As said, the 9/11 bill kicks in Aug 09 and the VA is still tying up lose ends and DoD and the individual services get their hands in the mix as well so it'll be some time before (hopefully NLT August) to get this sorted out.

Stay tuned for further developments...