Bombers to T-1s

Guest ClemsonFlyBoy

Guest ClemsonFlyBoy

I have heard alot of rumors about the B1 and B52 being sent back over to the T1 track. Is there any truth to this and when would this be happening?

A friend of mine who's a T-38 FAIP @ VN told me only the BUFFs went over to the Tone side. He also mentioned that Tone drivers were actually pretty excited about at least having another combat option out of Tones besides the rare Gunship or Comabat Talon that drops.

A friend of mine who's a T-38 FAIP @ VN told me only the BUFFs went over to the Tone side. He also mentioned that Tone drivers were actually pretty excited about at least having another combat option out of Tones besides the rare Gunship or Comabat Talon that drops.

haha, wait till they get introduced to PRP, Minot, seat swaps with helmet/parachutes, and avionics that make you feel like flying around in RAM...

Seriously though it's the best thing that could happen to the community; however if I were a graduating T-1 bubba today they'd be no way in hell I'd go ACC with a 10ft pole, if I had any expectation of actually flying in the AF past a tour. We'll see how quickly that catches on over at the tone side. My uninformed guess says once people become informed (several classes out), bombers will be nowhere near the top of most studs dream sheets.

:beer:

My uninformed guess says once people become informed (several classes out), bombers will be nowhere near the top of most studs dream sheets.

Maybe...but I'm sure there will always be dudes who really wanted 38s (i.e. combat a/c) and didn't get it. Thus, they'd probably be very happy to fly something that was still dropping bombs...I would think there'd still be at least a few people per class that fit into that category, even several "informed" classes down the road.

Maybe...but I'm sure there will always be dudes who really wanted 38s (i.e. combat a/c) and didn't get it. Thus, they'd probably be very happy to fly something that was still dropping bombs...I would think there'd still be at least a few people per class that fit into that category, even several "informed" classes down the road.

People still pick the C-17 because it's the C-17. No way in hell would I want that lifestyle (no offense) but no matter how much people talked about how you are away all the time and constantly hopping from place to place, people still put it #1. The same think will happen here.

People still pick the C-17 because it's the C-17. No way in hell would I want that lifestyle (no offense) but no matter how much people talked about how you are away all the time and constantly hopping from place to place, people still put it #1. The same think will happen here.

C-17 is a nice aircraft with nice avionics and great locations. They are also not gone all that much anymore. I dont see a lot of T-1 studs pining after the B-52. The B-2 on the other hand...

What is the attraction of the B-2 for some people? Maybe I'm totally out to lunch, but why would a FNG want a B-2 versus a Bone or a Buff?

Pros for B-2: KC is close, you hardly ever deploy, and you get to fly 38's (which most T-1 guys wanted in UPT anyway).

Cons for Bone and Buff: You never fly in the B-1 and the B-52 locations/aircraft suck.

Pros for B-2: KC is close, you hardly ever deploy, and you get to fly 38's (which most T-1 guys wanted in UPT anyway).

Cons for Bone and Buff: You never fly in the B-1 and the B-52 locations/aircraft suck.

I don't see why hardly ever deploying would be a selling point. New guys flying in the CAF should want to deploy as much as possible and wreak havoc on the bad guys.... after all, it is the military and that is what we do. Flying in combat is how we earn street cred. Well, I digress from the topic at hand....

I don't see why hardly ever deploying would be a selling point. New guys flying in the CAF should want to deploy as much as possible and wreak havoc on the bad guys.... after all, it is the military and that is what we do. Flying in combat is how we earn street cred. Well, I digress from the topic at hand....

Great in theory (and if single) , but that scent wears off in time, ask some people who've done it ad naseaum, particularly in this political environment. It ain't Normandy...

Bomber deployments in general are fairly benign. Tropical destination boring circles above japanese tourists and you technically never left the United States. A ride there on CAL would have been more comfortable than on a 57 year old aluminum bucket seat that's for sure.

gty pretty much nailed it in the head (holy STS batman) about the bomber comparison.

Guest thefranchise

how many deployments have you done in the last 5 years? i am guessing not too many if you are throwing out the "new guys should want to deploy" patriotic flag.

i would think the stationary PCS of Whiteman is a good selling point for family life

Guest thefranchise

I guess thats why hes a 38 FAIP; talking out his ass without facts.

09 FY is rumored to start the drops but no changes are or have taken place in AFPC pipeline tracking. again rumored.

Guest thefranchise

so guys that dont fly 38s never fly combat a/c ? you should write a 847 demanding a change to the term MWS to only include t38 track a/c. :salut:

KC is close to what?

Friend of mind PCS'ed to Whiteman in Sep and will not go to B-2 school till DEC 2009.

That's because he'll be going thru T-38 IP qual and flying bueno no-threat X/C all that time on the AF dime. Personally I wouldn't care if he won't see the B-2 in two years, he'll fly 2x as much as your avg bone/buff bob and in that time won't be gear-b$tching it, time-splitting with other overmanned-UAV-slatted co's in the flying can either. Then as a parting away present he gets to fly something that actually stands a snowballs' chance in hell of making it in double-digit airspace. I'd say it's a pretty decent gig for a bomber dude. Knob Noster ain't all that, KC is alright, but beats the alternative in my book.

That or he just got a sweet casual period lol :beer:

so guys that dont fly 38s never fly combat a/c ?

Ok ok, that's not what I meant. Maybe they had a strong desire to physically shoot missiles/guns and/or drop bombs. I realize the AC-130 provides that in a way, but other than that no other T-1 a/c actually blows stuff up. That doesn't mean the rest aren't "combat a/c" or aren't "in the fight." That's what I was trying to say.

how many deployments have you done in the last 5 years? i am guessing not too many if you are throwing out the "new guys should want to deploy" patriotic flag.

I guess thats why hes a 38 FAIP; talking out his ass without facts.

so guys that dont fly 38s never fly combat a/c ? you should write a 847 demanding a change to the term MWS to only include t38 track a/c. :salut:

Three D-Bag posts in a ROW.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.....IT'S A NEW WORLD RECORD!!!

:notworthy:

Edited by Fury220

KC is close to what?

Friend of mind PCS'ed to Whiteman in Sep and will not go to B-2 school till DEC 2009.

I kindfully suggest using a web site called "Mapquest".

Or you can hit up Yahoo! Maps to find the dopest route.

However, Google maps is the best. True that. (Double true!)

It shows KC is about 1.5 hours to Whiteman. :bash:

Why fly the B-2?

Well, it's arguably the tip of the spear. There are 2 airframes right now that can really fight in the modern S-A enviornment - the F22 and the B2. It's the whole anti-access problem. Sure fiters can get in, but can they come home.

If a fiter dude wants to be the best he shoots for the F22, heavies the C17*, and if your a bomber guy, the jet that goes in with the F22 CAP, the B2. Sure they are 2B$ a pop and you ACE it up in 38A's (sweet) and never really fly the jet too much, but when the S@*T goes down your flying halfway around the world to swack things and fly back home and watch your handiwork on Fox (they have hot blonde-casters Ohhhh yeah).

As a young bomber guy, this is this explanation I give to family/friends when they ask why I would consider it. They have taken bomber Co's before, so it's an option. They only take 1-3 guys a year. After your stint, you can stick around or go back to your airframe.

As far as the bombers to T-1s go, in 2 UPT syllabus's (this is from 6 mo's ago) buffs will be an option to T-1's, and not a total shift. The crew coordination is not too hard to learn from the 38's, and the best T-1 guy in the class can have the "intensity" enough for the bomber community. T-1s should be allowed to fly any bomber in my opinion, they are better qualified for crew airplanes but they gotta want to fight and blow crap up with excellence. My 2 cents.

* DISCLAIMER uninformed shooter estimate

They only take 1-3 guys a year.

Wrong! They take a few more than that, we would send 1-2 just from the Buff per year...that's not including FAIP's, Pilot training, Bones, and "Fiters"

After your stint, you can stick around or go back to your airframe.

Wrong!

Leadership aside (dudes leaving to become DO's/CC's, I have only seen 2 dudes come back from the B-2 and they both screwed the pooch royally while up there. Once you are a B-2 asset, your ass(et) stays there...that is the norm, I am sure there are exceptions like the dudes I know.

Edited by Sparky