Smart phone

Techsan

• 1 year later...
From MacRumors:

AT&T Unlocking In-Contract iPhones for Deployed Service Members

Monday April 9, 2012 6:36 pm PDT by Jordan Golson

This weekend, AT&T began unlocking iPhones for off-contract customers. This allows the iPhone be used with a SIM-card from overseas carriers, or T-Mobile in the U.S. In addition to unlocking phones for off-contract customers, AT&T is also quietly unlocking iPhones for U.S. service members still under contract with the carrier.

Carriers are required by federal law to suspend service without penalty for deployed military personnel upon presentation of their military orders, but AT&T is not required to unlock the phones of deployed service members. Instead, the company is choosing to do that on its own.

AT&T declined to comment, but we have independently confirmed that AT&T is unlocking phones for service members upon request. Deployed soldiers, airmen, sailors, and Marines should contact AT&T customer service to get more information about having their iPhones unlocked.

I'm working on getting mine unlocked right now. For out-of-contract unlocks, you may have to show proof of purchase (I bought mine off eBay and the AT&T rep said Apple may ask me to fax in a screen shot of my eBay purchase history showing the iPhone...they haven't yet). For in-contract unlocks you'll have to provide military orders.

Step-by-step guides are all over the place now, here's one on MacRumors: AT&T iPhone Unlocking Process Detailed, Successful for Some

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Brig. Gen. Kevin Wooton, communications director for Air Force Space Command added, "Every BlackBerry currently issued will be replaced by the much more versatile iPhone 3."

Working in a partnership with Gazelle.com, O-6 and above will receive 16 GB phones while O-5 and below will receive the 8 GB version.

The phones were purchased at a discount from the online reseller at an average price of $969.

Wooton commented, "This purchase will allow me and several of the guys in my office to write '$5M' on our OPRs and EPRs. That's a big number and looks really cool."

Edited by sky_king
  • Upvote 1

Wow! That was well played. The O-6/O-5 GB difference didn't even phase me. Sounded like std AF logic. And, in all seriousness, I didn't bat an eye at the thought of big blue paying twice the new cost for used phones. You, sir, are a genius.

I was an early crackberry user and it was awesome - but eventually I changed over to an iPhone once they were secure enough for confidential medical information (was not the case for the first generation iPhone). It's much more capable & it just works.

I also think it's wise to be worried about the future of RIM as a going concern.

http://www.google.com/finance?chdnp=1&chdd=1&chds=1&chdv=1&chvs=maximized&chdeh=0&chfdeh=0&chdet=1393183863490&chddm=482494&chls=IntervalBasedLine&q=NASDAQ:BBRY&&fct=big&ei=ZkwKU7jGGoXLqQHopAE

Yeah, it looks like this sux - especially if you use a Mac & Safari. But really, we have more protected health information (PHI) breaches from people doing stupid shit like losing unencrypted laptops, thumb drives or removable disks. Or leaving paper patient lists in Starbucks. And we had one breach because someone thought that hiding columns in Excel deleted the data. We think that one only got e-mailed to someone we work with, but it was still a breach. Essentially all of the breaches I've seen have been from not following simple rules (use an encrypted thumb drive), stupidity or snooping. Not that hacking isn't a concern, I just haven't seen it very often for PHI.

Yeah, it looks like this sux - especially if you use a Mac & Safari. But really, we have more protected health information (PHI) breaches from people doing stupid shit like losing unencrypted laptops, thumb drives or removable disks. Or leaving paper patient lists in Starbucks. And we had one breach because someone thought that hiding columns in Excel deleted the data. We think that one only got e-mailed to someone we work with, but it was still a breach. Essentially all of the breaches I've seen have been from not following simple rules (use an encrypted thumb drive), stupidity or snooping. Not that hacking isn't a concern, I just haven't seen it very often for PHI.

An old process that has since been automated required the MDG to send huge lists of personnel data to the MPF every month (medical AAC/ALC reconciliation info, if you know what that is). The data was supposed to only include the name, SSN, and applicable code. Instead, the worker didn't understand the regulation or intent of the AFI, and sent unfiltered, raw medical data (PIMR reports). Essentially, the MPF got accidental access to every servicemembers' diagnoses, whether it was a Mental Health condition, LBP, dental cavities, etc.

Do they still have the stupid bluetooth CAC reader? I was under the impression blackberry were the only ones certified for encrypted emails.

Our previous CC 2-3 years ago had a case with a CAC reader for his iPhone...it looked like the credit card case. Not sure if that's the Bluetooth reader you're talking about.

But all the ones currently just have a regular iPhone, no fancy case or reader or anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk