Gun Talk

VL-16

I'm thinking about jumping into NFA toys, mostly because I want an SBR. It pisses me off that a mere 1.5" makes that big of a difference (sts).. Anyway, started looking into going the trust route and would appreciate any hints/tips/gotchas/etc. For example, did you go through a lawyer or DIY? Issues with PCSing? From what I've read it somewhat simplifies the purchase process but doesn't really speed up the ATF piece?

I got into the NFA trust thing when it started to get popular - probably 2006ish. At the time the ATF did not subject the trusts to much scrutiny and along with an increased number of examiners the process was taking 60-90 days. I decided to use a trust because the local LEO folks did not want to sign off on the ATF forms - by using a trust or LLC you can skip that portion of the process. At the time everyone was having great success with Quicken WillMaker for trusts. I went that route because the software was $30 or so. Since then I have gone back and had a real live lawyer redo my trust - the folks at Guntrustlawyer.com were very quick to help but the cost was about $700 (depends on the state). Gun Trust Lawyer did a great job and I feel much better with a professionally prepared legal document built specifically for build NFA items. It also has information to buy additional NFA items and how to properly add them to the trust. If you have the money and are serious about NFA toys I highly, highly recommend a lawyer draw up your trust.

As for PCSing... Look at your career field and the locations you are likely to be stationed. Chances are there is a possiblity that you will get stationed where you can't have your NFA items. Now what? Can you live in an adjacent state with better laws? Can you leave them at a parent/friend/life partner's house in an NFA friendly state? Me - I'm now in a non-NFA item state. Lucky for me my Dad has a close friend in a neighboring state who I added to my trust - he now holds all my NFA items. And you must tell the ATF when you move your items across state lines - so each PCS means finding a storage location before moving the items or leaving them behind to move later. Also factor in paperwork time (I had my last one returned once and then approved - took about 3 weeks in total). I have questioned my desire to have NFA items due to the pain of the entire process.

An ideal situation would be to live in a location where all NFA items are legal, the local chief LEO will sign off on ATF forms, and I never need to move. In this situation I would complete the ATF paperwork as an individual not as a Trust or LLC.

Ask any specific questions you have...

BF

Edited by BigFreddie

I got into the NFA trust thing when it started to get popular - probably 2006ish. At the time the ATF did not subject the trusts to much scrutiny and along with an increased number of examiners the process was taking 60-90 days. I decided to use a trust because the local LEO folks did not want to sign off on the ATF forms - by using a trust or LLC you can skip that portion of the process. At the time everyone was having great success with Quicken WillMaker for trusts. I went that route because the software was $30 or so. Since then I have gone back and had a real live lawyer redo my trust - the folks at Guntrustlawyer.com were very quick to help but the cost was about $700 (depends on the state). Gun Trust Lawyer did a great job and I feel much better with a professionally prepared legal document built specifically for build NFA items. It also has information to buy additional NFA items and how to properly add them to the trust. If you have the money and are serious about NFA toys I highly, highly recommend a lawyer draw up your trust.

As for PCSing... Look at your career field and the locations you are likely to be stationed. Chances are there is a possiblity that you will get stationed where you can't have your NFA items. Now what? Can you live in an adjacent state with better laws? Can you leave them at a parent/friend/life partner's house in an NFA friendly state? Me - I'm now in a non-NFA item state. Lucky for me my Dad has a close friend in a neighboring state who I added to my trust - he now holds all my NFA items. And you must tell the ATF when you move your items across state lines - so each PCS means finding a storage location before moving the items or leaving them behind to move later. Also factor in paperwork time (I had my last one returned once and then approved - took about 3 weeks in total). I have questioned my desire to have NFA items due to the pain of the entire process.

An ideal situation would be to live in a location where all NFA items are legal, the local chief LEO will sign off on ATF forms, and I never need to move. In this situation I would complete the ATF paperwork as an individual not as a Trust or LLC.

Ask any specific questions you have...

BF

Cool, thanks for the info. The $700 isn't an issue, I'd rather have the greater piece of mind from having a professional do the paperwork. If my AGR job comes through then I'll be able to root myself in a great NFA-friendly state.. Just looking for a simpler way of purchasing. I'm downrange at the moment, but I'm going to start looking into this when I have time -- hopefully to pull the trigger (sts) when I get home.. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I progress.

Probably a good reason to wait until you retire/separate to get these new toys.

Anyone have any firsthand experience with the 6.8mm SPC round?

I have a chance to pick up the following rifle for $825...

68left.jpg

68leftdown.jpg

Details...

Lower: Superior Arms lower w/ DPMS internals, Magpul MOE stock, no-name ambidextrous sling mount, ERGO grip (ripped out annoying bottom piece that never stays put) & magpul trigger guard.

Upper: Kotonics 6.8mm Mid-length complete Upper (purchased through here a long time ago) w/ YHM free-float Rail, low-profile gas block, and YHM flip-up BUIS. Also has an aftermarket charging handle and some UTG rail covers.

Accessories: 2 steel Brownell's 6.8mm magazines w/ black magpul "pulls" (plus 50rds SSA 110gr ammo if deal is FTF).

As most of you know, I am not an AR guy; but from what I've heard from a few folks who are this round is the latest/greatest thing in the community.

Cheers! M2

I built a 6.8 with White Oak parts. It's been reliable and accurate, but I can't speak to its lethality yet as the deer seem to avoid me when I have it with me.

Kotonics went out of business a while ago. They had a problem where the chrome lining in some of their barrels was too thick and was causing overpressure. They did their best to fix it, but went bankrupt trying to make things right.

$825 isn't a bad price. If you get it and find pressure signs, worst case scenario you could rebarrel it with something from this guy and be good to go.

http://www.ar15performance.com/6_8_arp

Edited by nunya

I built a 6.8 with White Oak parts. It's been reliable and accurate, but I can't speak to its lethality yet as the deer seem to avoid me when I have it with me.

Kotonics went out of business a while ago. They had a problem where the chrome lining in some of their barrels was too thick and was causing overpressure. They did their best to fix it, but went bankrupt trying to make things right.

$825 isn't a bad price. If you get it and find pressure signs, worst case scenario you could rebarrel it with something from this guy and be good to go.

http://www.ar15performance.com/6_8_arp

I've got an 18" ARP upper and it's awesome.

6.8 SPC is expensive. If you are serious about getting an AR I would suggest getting a Colt LE6920/SP6920. It's been said on this thread before that that is the AR the model by which all others are judged. It's 5.56, which ammo is plentiful. Even the steel cased Russian ammo should work ok with it. And if you end up not liking the AR, Colt and the 6920 in general retain their value very well (mush better than most).

T-bonez

I agree, I stopped by a local gun shop with a buddy (he needed some advice on a potential purchase, plus he baited me in saying they had AKs for sale there!) and I checked on the price of 6.8mm ammo. It's $25+ for 20 rounds! I've also had an AR expert I know tell me it was a bit more than what he'd pay. I think I'm gonna pass.

I've been contemplating an AR in 7.62x39 but I've heard they're prone to issues. I think I'm gonna stick with that I know best (and what I have a lot of ammo stocked up for), AKs, SKS, Mosins, etc...

Cheers! M2

Yeah, I passed on it. However, I did get a nice gift today. An Army buddy of mine, brought me an AK bayonet that was picked up in Iraq. It turned out to be a Russian Tula Type II AKM bakelite, which are some of the nicest ones around. The fact that this was was brought back from Iraq makes it even more cool.

So this week's acquisitions include that bayonet, a Bosnian/Croatian two-rib magazine, a pair of Yugoslav dog tags and a nice Russian calendar card with General Kalashnikov's picture on the other side. So I didn't get the 6.8mm SPC AR-15, but it was still a good week and there is a gun show this weekend...

Cheers! M2

• Upvote 1

Picking this up for $375 on Wednesday...

DSCN1689.jpg

DSCN1690.jpg

It's a Colt Trooper Mk III .357 with a 6" barrel, I figured it would make a great companion piece for the 1954 Colt .357 Magnum I have have that was my father's. I've also got a Ruger GP100 with the original grips...

Cheers! M2

Picked her up last night...

IMG_1027.jpgIMG_1024.jpg

Ain't nothing sweeter than a pair of Colt .357 revolvers in the stable!

The Trooper Mk III on top is from 1977, the .357 Magnum on bottom is my Dad's 1954. Old school asskickers!

Cheers! M2