Gun Talk

VL-16

Last few parts came in today for my first AR build!

small3.jpg

small1.jpg

small2.jpg

* Stripped LRB Arms receiver w/ DPMS parts kit

* BCM mil-spec M4 stock

* BCM mid-length upper

* BCM BCG and charging handle

* Troy BUIS

* Cavalry Arms hand guards

* Magpul MOE pistol grip

Can't wait to take it to the range! :rock:

You have a SKS obsession now.

Yeah, it is getting to be a sickness as I don't even have the paratrooper in my hands yet and I am already seriously thinking about picking up this local deal...

1873887.jpg

I have 2 GREAT condition rifles that I want to trade/sell.

The Mosin is in great shape and has minimal imperfections in stock. The blueing looks good.

The SKS is an all numbers matching except for mag. It's a 1954r. I figure when it was refurbished it needed a new mag so they swapped out.

I have all original parts to the Russian. The only mods I have made are a tritium front post and rear tech-sights peep sight. I have a soft case for the SKS also, and a manual I got for it.

I would like to get $500 for the 2 rifles plus 15rds of 7.62x54r and about 450rds 7.62x39

I like to consider them "investments!" :rock:

Cheers! M2

Good deal, but don't let your love for Soviet weapons change your love for Capitalism, haha.

Any thoughts or opinions on the new Ruger SR-556? I am starting to lean to a piston AR and have been looking at the LMT, LWRCI and now Ruger has one.

What are you going to do with the rifle? Is it just going to be a paper puncher or will you use it for defense/zombie apocalypse? I don't own a Ruger SR-556, but I've heard some good things about it. You get a lot of cool Troy stuff with it. However, it's barrel twist rate is 1:9, which isn't bad, but it won't let you use the full range of ammunition designed for the AR platform. The heavier bullets (75/77gr) won't stabilize. The heaviest you can shoot will be 69gr. You can always try the heavier stuff and see if it works (it sometimes does), but a 1:7 barrel is what the military uses. That's not to say Ruger is bad, it's not, but there are certain limitations to it. LMT and LWRC make 1:7 barrels. Check out AR-15.com and look for the dedicated Ruger threads. There are quite a few people who own them on there that have given them range reports and put thousands of rounds through them. You'll find your answers there... AR-15.com AR Discussions.

Primary use, the coming zombie apocalypse/ I do live in Northern Idaho/ trunk gun with paper punching as a secondary use.

Thanks for the linky. I will make my way over there after work. This CrackBerry makes killing boredom incredibly easy.

While traditional logic will tell you a 1:9 twist won't allow you to shoot heavier bullets a recent magazine test of the Ruger SR-556 has its best accuracy with 77grn match ammo. That match ammo gave the tested Ruger rifle 1 MOA accuracy with 77 grn bullets.

Which is why I said it sometimes does work. Every barrel is different so some people have success with the heavier (longer) gr bullet, but to say that all SR-556s will stabilize a 75/77gr bullet is not true.

Regardless, there are quite a few 64-69gr bullets designed for self defense that do the job real well. If Vandal does end up buying the Ruger, he can always test out the heavier bullets. If they keyhole or just aren't accurate he can move down to the 69gr bullets. There are a lot of cartridges to choose from with a bunch of bullet types... Best Choices for Self Defense and Best 5.56 Loads With Rankings.

Let us know what you end up buying, Vandal.

I will when it happens and will have pics too! Funding is a bit tight right now and I am beginning to work my way through the Army OCS application process. The piston AR is behind a CMP Garand on my list right now. For HD I have my 870 Express Mag with Hornady TAP buckshot and my Kimber and XD45 in the bedside safe.

Dude, I completely agree. I was just throwing it out there. I have a stag AR-15 that has a 1:9 barrel and haven't shot any "heavy" bullets through it. Partly because cheap ammo tends to be 55gn stuff and partly because I was under the impression that it was a lost cause. Given this new input, I am probably going to give it a try with my current set-up and heavier bullets just to see. Who knows?

Which is why I said it sometimes does work. Every barrel is different so some people have success with the heavier (longer) gr bullet, but to say that all SR-556s will stabilize a 75/77gr bullet is not true.

Regardless, there are quite a few 64-69gr bullets designed for self defense that do the job real well. If Vandal does end up buying the Ruger, he can always test out the heavier bullets. If they keyhole or just aren't accurate he can move down to the 69gr bullets. There are a lot of cartridges to choose from with a bunch of bullet types... Best Choices for Self Defense and Best 5.56 Loads With Rankings.

Let us know what you end up buying, Vandal.

Obviously, someone wasn't happy with their AR purchase!

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=140641947

Cheers! M2

This guy has a few different ones up for that .22lr AR-15. Apparently he got a lot of returns from customers he sold them to. It has reliability problems and whatnot. At least he has a sense of humor about it even though it's such a crappy product.

Drain Marker

Pooper Scooper This one is funny!

Boat Paddle

Paperweight

Double Tap. I thought I would post some new photos of my newest setup on my LWRC. I did a 50yd/200m Improved Battle Sight Zero with some Hornady 75gr BTHP match ammo (my zombie killer ammo) last week.

LWRC M6A1 14.7" upper w/permanent attached A2

American Spirit Arms complete lower w/gen 1 stock

Troy Rear Back-Up Iron Sight w/diamondhead aperture (absolute cowitness with the Aimpoint)

Troy vertical foregrip

Fenix PD30 light (220 lumen) mounted with a Vltor mount

Aimpoint Comp M4s

Troy single point padded sling (not shown)

OD pistol grip and OD ladders for the rails

EDIT: You can see the piston system underneath the top rail.

Edited by Timbonez

"The gun accidently fired" or "someone accidently fired the gun?

As we're all well aware... firearms don't just fire for no reason.

Florida Gun Range Accident

Here is better information on the incident copied from the Lakeland Ledger. I have heard of guns going off once accidently, but 3 times?

LAKELAND | A Tampa man's gun accidentally fired Saturday at a Lakeland gun range, wounding him and two others, authorities said.

Police are investigating an accidental shooting at the Saddle Creek shooting range where three people were injured in Lakeland.

Michael Patrick Thourot, 47, had just set down his Jennings 9mm handgun at the Saddle Creek Shooting Range when the gun went off, striking Thourot in the left hand, his wife Sherri, 46, in the left arm, and 29-year-old Gary Flynn in the shoulder and throat, the Polk County Sheriff's Office said.

The incident happened about 10:30 a.m. By Saturday evening, all three were in stable condition at Lakeland Regional Medical Center. Flynn was awake and talking after he had surgery.

"According to them, they set the gun down and it just went off and started spewing rounds," Sgt. Ken Hall said Saturday at the scene.

The gun may have been altered, leading to the malfunction. Hall said detectives will know more once they take the gun apart and inspect it.

Flynn, who is from Ireland, was at the range with a friend who lives in Davenport. The Thourots were visiting the range from Tampa.

Flynn was standing in front of a bench behind a shooting stall next to the Thourots.

Detectives say the gun fired at least three times after Thourot set it down facing his wife, rather than downrange, which is considered proper safety procedure. The gun began to fire and spin, striking Flynn, who stood a few feet away.

At least 16 others were using the range at the time. One person helped Michael Thourot to the bathroom to clean up his hand while Flynn lay on the ground, awaiting the arrival of EMS. No others were injured.

The range at 3716 Morgan Combee Road is owned by the county and frequently receives visitors from neighboring counties. Saturday afternoon, the range closed early.

The incident is still under investigation.

I am betting on the gun having been modified...and a blantant violation of range rules. I don't know about this place, but I clear my weapons before setting them down.

I am betting on the gun having been modified...and a blantant violation of range rules. I don't know about this place, but I clear my weapons before setting them down.

Well said. If you don't empty the entire mag, it takes two seconds to eject it and clear the round.

And "2" on the gun havng been modified... I don't see how else it could happen.

Yeah, it is getting to be a sickness as I don't even have the paratrooper in my hands yet and I am already seriously thinking about picking up this local deal...

I like to consider them "investments!" :rock:

Cheers! M2

Well, I am pissed! I was suppose to meet the dude with these two rifles (a Russian SKS and a Romanian Mosin-Nagant M44) on Saturday and he didn't show. Now he isn't returning my calls or emails. I think he backed out of the deal for whatever reason (I was willing to pay his full asking price for the two guns) and won't man up and tell me. It is irritating as I bought a sling for the M44 at the gun show Saturday morning, and I was really looking forward to getting that particular carbine as I hear they are a blast to shoot (pun intended). If I don't hear from him by tomorrow, I am writing the deal off and will start hunting for a M44 on GunBroker or somewhere...

Cheers! M2

Well, based on recommendations from people I don't know; my 12-yr-old and I drove for four hours yesterday morning to go to what was billed as "the largest gun show in Texas."

Unfortunately, it turned out to be a wash, overpriced pieces of shit for the most part. I was quite dejected as I was hoping to find a nice M44 at a decent price. All I saw was non-matching numbered, stocked-beat-to-shit jokes. The only deal I saw was a 1943 Izhevsk-built Mosin-Nagant 91/30 for $99 out the door. I know AIM has them cheaper and with more accessories; but I like to grope and fondle weapons before I buy them!

Anyhow, I don't have any pictures of it yet but since most Mosins look alike here is one that is similar...

ussr-Mosin-Nagant.jpg

I also snagged 40 rounds of 7.62x54R but unfortunately my planned trip to the range got rained out this morning. These are not my videos, but they give you a good idea of what the Mosin is so well-loved when it comes to shooting...

I am still on the hunt for a M44, a carbine-length version of the above with a cool side-folding bayonet. I have a few leads, but nothing concrete yet. After last weekend's no-show seller, I don't take anything for granted.

Cheers! M2

I recently started looking at the Kimber Ultra CDP II for carry. Does anyone have any experience with it? I'm curious about concealability in warm weather cloths and reliability. I would think it being a Kimber, reliability wouldn't be an issue, but I've seen some reviews that talk about multiple FFS.