Gun Talk

VL-16

I've been looking for a good M-1 Garand (preferably WWII era) for quite a while. Just wondering if anyone has advice on good sources. I pretty much have just gone to local gun shops and gun shows. I currently live in Tacoma but don't necessairly want to limit myself to that area.

I've been looking for a good M-1 Garand (preferably WWII era) for quite a while. Just wondering if anyone has advice on good sources. I pretty much have just gone to local gun shops and gun shows. I currently live in Tacoma but don't necessairly want to limit myself to that area.

*sigh*

I hate to give away this little gem, but:

The CMP.

My old man's bought like four or five carbines from them in the last year. Several through mail order and several at one of their two 'retail' stores. They have their own M1 forum on there and the folks are pretty knowledgeable. Just don't get your hopes up about receiving a WW II serial number, unless you can make it to Ohio or Alabama and spend hours hand selecting something from their racks.

Planning on ordering an M1 or two for myself so it's waiting when I get back from this 3 year tour.

What Stunna said... the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

I've been looking for a good M-1 Garand (preferably WWII era) for quite a while.

4 on the CMP. I got a Service Grade SA Garand (1955-ish s/n) from them a few years ago; couldn't be happier with it.

If you put in the remarks on your order form that you'd like a WWII-era receiver, they'll try to accomodate you. Be aware that if they do, the receiver will likely be the only WWII-vintage part left on the complete rifle (a good thing if it's gonna be a shooter).

www.surplusrifleforum.com has A LOT of knowledge and experience. Use the search function liberally.

Edited by JarheadBoom

Hmmm...didn't realize WWII vintage was hard to get a hold of, but makes sense. I'm more interested in a good shooter than a display model right now, so that's probably the way to go as long as it has the look and function and it's a 30 06

I'd grab one now if you're interested. The wait is fairly long at the present time and there are rumors that they are starting to run out of the "good" condition rifles. Now, all you really need is your .mil ID and it covers a huge amount of the paperwork. The first one I got I "had to" go out with a local club and shoot their M1s. That's all it took to make me really WANT one! Go to the local JA and have the front desk notarize your forms and you'll be set. Grab some of the Greek ammo too - it is stupid cheap and is great quality.

BF

On a different note, I got back form a TDY today and there was a letter from the TX Department of Public Safety with my CHL in it. Now time to go do the wally world run soon.

Congrats! :rock:

Cheers! M2

Have any of you been to one of the actual stores? I'm at Maxwell and I'm thinking about driving up there this weekend. I don't know too much about purchasing a firearm.. Do I need anything besides my ID card and cash?

You're going to need everything you would need as if you were sending in your order through the mail. Ordering Info

My two most recent pistol acquisitions were both Taurus 9mm--the PT111 and PT709. Very similar in size except the latter is a single-stack therefore slimmer, but the PT111 is easier to shoot more accurately. However, despite rumors to the contrary, both have been flawless (I just put 100 rounds through the PT709 without a single FTF/FTE) and Taurus now offers a lifetime guarantee on all their guns no matter if you are the original owner or not. I have been very happy with both of these pistols and wouldn't hesitate to recommend either. For the price they are very capable weapons...

Wondering if you know/have heard anything about Taurus' new "Slim" model 9mm subcompact. Only Taurus I own/have ever shot is a snub-nose .38, never had one of their pistols. Seems like every time I'm at the gun counter these days though, someone is buying a Taurus.

Wondering if you know/have heard anything about Taurus' new "Slim" model 9mm subcompact. Only Taurus I own/have ever shot is a snub-nose .38, never had one of their pistols. Seems like every time I'm at the gun counter these days though, someone is buying a Taurus.

Fog

The PT709 is the slim, which is pretty much the same dimensions as the PT111 except slimmer as it is a single-stack. I have put around 150 flawless rounds of Monarch, Blazer and Federal through mine since getting it and where it is a little harder to control than the thicker PT111 I find it to be a very accurate and reliable gun so far. I say 'so far' as I have read on TaurusArmed.net that some folks are having problems with theirs, but I wonder if some of that is due to an inadequate cleaning before shooting (they come covered in cosmoline) or not using the proper technique which firing this type of gun (e.g. limpwristing it). Mine has quite reached the level of trustworthiness that my XD has achieved; but I think it is only a matter of time as so far it has performed exceptionally for me.

For the price I am very sold on the Taurus and anyone looking for a good semi-auto in the $300-350 range I would strongly recommend both the PT111 and the PT709 Slim; but do your homework beforehand as others have not had the same experience that I have. And if you can make your way to San Antonio, I would be more than happy to let you shoot either or both of them!

On a separate note, I have a line on a Norinco Paratrooper SKS and was wondering if anyone has owned/shot one. I like the shorter carbine nature of it and the one I am looking at is priced decently, and most of my research on them has been positive; but I would still like to hear any pros/cons from someone who has had firsthand experience with them.

Oh, and I know the 'paratrooper' moniker is a misnomer; so I don't need to be educated on it!

Cheers! M2

has anyone owned the smith &wesson m&p pistol? i just shot the 9mm version and was quite impressed. so impressed that its throwing me off my xD bandwagon.

I've got a 9mm and I LOVE it. Great gun. The real advantage to me is that it fits my hand very well and I shoot it better than any other gun right out of the box. I've got 2500 rounds through mine with no malfunctions. The prices are going up and mags are more than Glock but less than HK.

BF

has anyone owned the smith &wesson m&p pistol? i just shot the 9mm version and was quite impressed. so impressed that its throwing me off my xD bandwagon.

I had a S&W M&P .45 w/4" barrel. It was a great gun. I sold it because I'm not into tupperware firearms.

109307_large.jpg

Well, I just had to have one of these for the collection...

wm_1579207.jpg

It's a Norinco SKS paratrooper. I know it was never used by the PLA, but I think they are sweet looking and distinctive enough from the other SKS rifles I have.

Cheers! M2