Gun Talk

VL-16

As for transporting without a license, I think it is the same in most states that a locked, unloaded weapon is legal. Back before Texas had reciprocity with Alabama, whenever we drove to Florida I would have to stop before we crossed the state line, unload and lock my handgun in the trunk of the car. Then once we got to into Florida, I dug it out and reloaded it again.

I know in Kansas where I grew up that you can have a gun in the vehicle as long as it is in plain sight and it isn't loaded; no need to lock it in the trunk or in a case. If you have a CCW permit then obviously it doesn't need to be in plain sight. My uncle often travels with his Glock on the passenger seat and the loaded mag in the center console. But then again in Kansas you can carry a firearm on your belt in public without a CCW permit as long as it is visible.

Just bought 2 glocks with LEO discount yesterday. A 19 for 399 with 2 extra mags and a 22C w/ night sights for 484 w/ 2 extra mags. All I needed was Driver License, orders and mil ID. I bought the 22 because it's chambered for .357 sig which is a good round and I can replace the barrel and shoot .40 which I like that option. It's not a real popular load, but is a really good one.

.357 Sig Wiki

Edit to include 2008 Glock LE prices/schiesse.

Anyone know if/where there is a 2009 copy of this form? I've been burnin holes in the old Google machine trying to find out.

Just thought I'd add this: searching a car DOES NOT REQUIRE A SEARCH WARRANT, the fleeting nature of a car requires only probable cause. Will that presumption be brought into question in the following law suit? Of course. But the cops do not have to seek a warrant prior to searching your car after a traffic stop.

Just thought I'd add this: searching a car DOES NOT REQUIRE A SEARCH WARRANT, the fleeting nature of a car requires only probable cause. Will that presumption be brought into question in the following law suit? Of course. But the cops do not have to seek a warrant prior to searching your car after a traffic stop.

That varies by state, as does how you have to carry the weapon (locked, unloaded, etc). In Texas, "the officer is required by law to have what is known as 'reasonable suspicion' to delve further into the situation which presents itself after the officer has 'made contact' with the driver of the automobile." But the driver does not have to give consent to search their vehicle. Lawyers here recommend you do not give it! If you are searched anyway, there will be a video of the stop. The lawyers also tell you not to reply to questions, and to refuse to do any roadside sobriety tests or blow into any breath devices. Their reasoning is since you are going to be arrested anyway, it makes their job easier to defend you! I know the above may make you look guilty, but it is for your protection and your right. Just because a cop pulls you over doesn't mean you will be treated fairly, especially if you are found with a legal weapon in your car.

I was pulled over once for speeding, and gave the officer my CHL but informed him I didn't have any weapons in the vehicle. That was a courtesy, as in Texas you are only required to inform the police if you do have weapons; and they will know you have a CHL when they run your license. Still, the cop got all excited when I said the word "weapons," even though I was informing him I didn't have any (I was on my way home from work, so no guns on base). It scares me to think of what he might have done had I had some (in Texas law enforcement officers have the right to disarm you at any time).

And I will go ahead and state the obvious, and strongly recommend anyone who plans to carry a weapon through any state know what the laws are before doing so.

Cheers! M2

M2, you were looking for a Webley Mk VI in .455, right? Any luck? What kind of prices have you seen?

Right now I am kicking myself for not grabbing the Mk III I saw at a gun show last month, we have another one this weekend and I am hoping it will still be there.

The average Webley .455 revolver is running between $600-800, depending on condition, markings, etc. Those that have a known history to them or that are in pristine condition are running up to $1200-1400. The newer ones, in .38 from WWII, are running a bit cheaper, $400 or so. I am not even bothering with looking at a shaved .455 as I am not interested in using moon clips and .45 ACP in it.

I usually see one or two Webleys per show, but the small show I went to last weekend didn't have any. There were some decent deals on used M1911s, but I have four of those already and that's enough for now. Maybe after this weekend I will have a Webley in my collection as well!

By the way, I am not restricting myself to the Mk VIs, I've learned that most all models are fairly reliable so I will grab whatever I can find that's in the right condition and at the right price.

Cheers! M2

Heresy.

Seriously! You can never have enough 1911s. You could be bring 1 or 2 home in your hands and that still would not have been enough for the day. Anyway, I picked up a Webley Mk VI in .455 (not shaved). I'll post pics of it soon.

Heresy.

Wrong emphasis...

There were some decent deals on used M1911s, but I have four of those already and that's enough for now.

I never said I would never get another 1911, I hope to but for the time being my priority is to find a Webley .455. And Timbonez, inasmuch as I would like to see the Webley you got, I know I am just gonna MF you for getting one before me! :flipoff:

Cheers! M2

Wrong emphasis...

I never said I would never get another 1911, I hope to but for the time being my priority is to find a Webley .455. And Timbonez, inasmuch as I would like to see the Webley you got, I know I am just gonna MF you for getting one before me! :flipoff:

Cheers! M2

Haha. I'll post pics of it soon. I already ordered .455 ammo. It's pretty expensive, but it still cheaper than my .375 H&H ammo. I need to go watch "Zulu," where Michael Caine's character uses a Mk VI (even though it's anachronistic). Take care.

Edited by Timbonez

So I don't want to double post, but this thread hasn't had any activity since March 4th. To fix that I decided to show you guys my "project gun." This past Christmas my father gave me the complete slide assembly from a Colt Combat Commander in .45 ACP. I don't know how old it is, but it's a series 70. I took it graciously and I'm going to rebuild it. I cleaned up the slide, barrel, extractor, etc. I've already ordered most parts for the frame, and I'll be ordering a blued Essex frame in the next few days. I'm going to have an actual gunsmith fit the frame to the slide, but I'll be able to manage the rest of the gun. If there are other parts that I find need to be tuned a little better, I'll send them to the gunsmith as well. Anyway, on to the pictures of the slide assembly. Oh, and those are the original grips with the rampant colt medallion.

Looks pretty sweet... Nothing like a little hard work when its something you enjoy so much. I'm sure your old man will be proud to see the work you do on it.

And yes, I noticed the lack of thread activity, but I'm definately guilty. I've been spending all my gun related energy looking for ammo. Both Wally Worlds in my area have been winchester for a couple weeks now. The only thing around is Wolf at one gun shop (haven't gone for it just yet) and the occasional 100 count WWB at another.

It's weird where I am. The Wal Mart that is closest to me has had very little ammo lately. I did pick up their last box of .44 Magnum the other day. Sometimes they have 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. I have plenty of 9mm and .45 ACP (I don't shoot .40 anymore), mostly the hollowpoint variety. The other Wal Mart, the one on the way to the range, has a better selection as they also sell Blazer Brass. Two boxes of 50 in .45 are cheaper than 1 box of the 100rd WWB. Plus my experience has been that Blazer Brass is cleaner, YMMV. The toughest calibers to find where I am have been .380, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, and .45 Long Colt. I try to stock up on the .38s and .357s as much as possible, but I am usually relegated to finding it online. That isn't so much a problem, since some of the calibers I own I can only buy online. Oh, here is a picture of my Colt Series 70 1911. When I finish the Combat Commander, I'll be able to go akimbo when the zombies come. Sorry for the brightness. It's dark right now so I had to use the flash.

Edit: As you can see I'm a fan of the traditional looking 1911. The only custom additions I'll take are a beavertail safety, combat hammer, and ventilated trigger. I don't like the front slide serrations, full length guide rods, ambi safeties, etc. To me they are either aesthetic changes (I prefer the old school look) or solutions to a non-existent problem (i.e. FLGR). Anyway, that's just me. Most 1911s I see, including the ones that many of you guys have posted in previous pages are good looking guns.

Edited by Timbonez

Guest zookrider
Edit: As you can see I'm a fan of the traditional looking 1911. The only custom additions I'll take are a beavertail safety, combat hammer, and ventilated trigger. I don't like the front slide serrations, full length guide rods, ambi safeties, etc. To me they are either aesthetic changes (I prefer the old school look) or solutions to a non-existent problem (i.e. FLGR). Anyway, that's just me. Most 1911s I see, including the ones that many of you guys have posted in previous pages are good looking guns.

Big fan of the series 70 repros. Yours looks mighty nice. I've been planning a stainless one as my post-deployment gun for a while. It'll soon be wearing a commander hammer, longer (solid) trigger, flat MSH, ambi safety, and night sights. Already have an el Paso Saddlery c-force waiting for it at home. I'm not so worried about the classic appearance factor as about just not having that dang firing pin safety.

I know the Democrats have tried to tell people they don't want to ban guns. I guess they've found another way around. This time it isn't the dreaded "Cop Killer" bullets. Its lead poisoning.

I guess we have to stop telling people to bite the bullet.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/03/04...lets/index.html

:M16:

M2, my Webley came in today so I went over and picked it up. I cleaned it up and took some pics just for you. I was happy there wasn't any rust, but you can see the finish is worn pretty well. I took it apart when I cleaned it, and the mechanicals are excellent. The bore is nice and shiny too. Enjoy!

post-5322-1236886307_thumb.jpgpost-5322-1236886332_thumb.jpgpost-5322-1236886344_thumb.jpg

post-5322-1236886429_thumb.jpgWhen I turned the revolver around to take the fourth pic, I spun the cylinder so it didn't line up with the bore.post-5322-1236886445_thumb.jpgpost-5322-1236886454_thumb.jpg

Edited by Timbonez

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been touched on yet, as I just recently became aware of the legislation. I'll gladly accept the smart @ss comments if this has already been discussed.

Looks like our "friends" in Congress think it is too easy for guns to change hands. This bill has been sent to sub-committee and hasn't been voted on yet, but think it is BS that it is even being considered. What are your thoughts?

EDIT: For grammar

Gun Legislation

Edited by guinthjb

I believe HR45 has been around for a few weeks now. If you've read it, then you know it is has a slim chance of passing in its current form. There are too many restrictions that will end the careers of many congressmen if they choose to pass it. However, that is not to say that some of what it's looking to do won't get passed. I sure hope none of it passes. The biggest part, I believe, is the federal gun registration. This is the first step to confiscation (Hello Britain, Australia, etc.). I'm not going to touch on why more gun laws are a bad idea, as it's already been said before and I am sure many of you are going to say it anyway. One of the last sections of HR45 exempts the federal government from abiding by the law. Of course, do as I say not as I do. Write your congressman and let them know how you feel about HR45, and If you aren't already a member, join the NRA.

M2, here is the closeup of the markings you asked for. I circled them and typed in the words since the camera made it blurry. I forgot to mention that when I took the Webley apart, I was impressed with how simple the design was. There is a single spring controlling the trigger and hammer, and only a handful of pieces. Putting it back together was somewhat of a bitch, but I got the hang of it for when I disassemble the next time it needs a thorough cleaning. I also forgot to mention that all parts had matching serial numbers (barrel, frame, cylinder). And thanks for the link to the British Gun Pub Forum.

post-5322-1236974185_thumb.jpg

Edited by Timbonez