HUD tapes

Guest Gumps

Guest Gumps

I'm flying the T-38C and looking to save myself a copy of my HUD tape, but since it records the video analog, it seems impossible to find a medium to play the video on, and transfer it to my computer. Any suggestions?

And buying one of those $500 tape players is out of the equation.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Gumps

What kind of video out do the tape players have? It's gotta plug into a TV, so I would assume RCA/S-video cable? If that's the case, you could just plug it in to a DVD/VHS recorder. But, that all depends on the output.

Guest Gumps

When you say "player", I take it you mean camcorder? I don't have a player, only the tapes. I also don't have a laptop, so I can't bring it in to the flight room to connect to the players there.

When you say "player", I take it you mean camcorder? I don't have a player, only the tapes. I also don't have a laptop, so I can't bring it in to the flight room to connect to the players there.

The player in the flight room. Hook the firewire up to the player and to the computer. Rip the tape to the computer harddrive, then copy it to a flash drive or e-mail it to yourself.

Guest Gumps

I want to be able to review my tapes in my room, not in a flight room with limited access, with only patterns reviewed in debrief.

Sorry about that, I forgot that anything not revolving around an A-10 and/or combat is crap, my bad...what was I thinking.

Sorry about that, I forgot that anything not revolving around an A-10 and/or combat is crap, my bad...what was I thinking.

ZING!

Actually, you might be one of my students. How do you feel about The King? :rock:

Guest Rainman A-10
I want to be able to review my tapes in my room, not in a flight room with limited access, with only patterns reviewed in debrief.

So you're getting shitty debriefs and you are going to teach yourself in your room?

What pattern are you talking about, the traffic pattern? Please tell me they are not using HUD film to denrief traffic patterns.

I hope your not talking about the gunnery pattern. Please tell me they aren't just using the film to debrief the pattern and blowing off the actual delivery parameters.

None of this makes sense.

True enough and I don't know what you were thinking, that's why I asked.

You are pulling up pretty strong for a youngster going through IFF. Not sure where you're going from there but I'm pretty sure the big attitude won't get you too far. Come to think of if...you may not need to worry about what it will be like in a real fighter squadron if you are having enough trouble learning the basics in the T-38C that you need to review film in your room.

Technique only.

Actually, you might be one of my students.

...because you use HUD film to debrief your students on how they fly in the pattern?

Ugh.

Here's about the only thing a HUD tape in a T-38C is good for...telling your boss you really no shit about hit another airplane when he said you were probably 500' away.

Holy crap! That would rate about a 10 on the pucker factor. Looks like a Piper Arrow or maybe a Mooney, that could have been bad...

Here's about the only thing a HUD tape in a T-38C is good for...telling your boss you really no shit about hit another airplane when he said you were probably 500' away.

Guest rumblefish_2
Come to think of if...you may not need to worry about what it will be like in a real fighter squadron if you are having enough trouble learning the basics in the T-38C that you need to review film in your room.

I guess studs can now self-smart themselves after the debrief is over. Either that or he really needs to review before he busts another ride...

Guest Tertle

the only good thing about a hud tape in a talon is hearing the old hat yelling "turn the ######ing heat OFF, O-F-F!"

...because you use HUD film to debrief your students on how they fly in the pattern?

Ugh.

Knock it off.

Yeah, when a guy is busting his ass just to learn how to land the T-38, you bet your life I use HUD footage to talk about what happened in the traffic pattern.

We're talking UPT here, Rainman...not IFF. Just getting to the flare and touching the runway without blowing a tire or killing oneself is an adventure for dudes who are pre-solo in their early days of the T-38.

Beyond all that, the HUD tape is retarded to have for UPT T-38s unless something awesomely hilarious happened. "Turn the Heat OFF!" is an excellent example.

Guest Rainman A-10

Hang on, did you just call a KIO? Can you do that around here?

OK. Fair enough.

Like I said, technique only.