Motorcycle Riders Thread

Ram

I had a bud with one in Belgium that I used to ride with. In the straights he could walk away from me, but in the curves I could catch him easily. I don't like 'em that much, there are much better performing bikes out there and too many of them that I've seen end up looking like they came from the movie Torque...

torque.jpg

I'm looking at a Hayabusa. Anyone have any experience with that bike?

I've ridden one once and it was ok but I've always been a Kawasaki man. If you're looking at big bikes then check out the ZX-14. She's a sweet ride and I think you would be happy with one. I owned one for a few years and took several road trips including several to the Dragon. For as big as she is, she handles like a dream. I could keep up with the liter bikes with no problem. Just a suggestion.

there are much better performing bikes out there

Personally I think it's the best looking sport bike out there, and the only reason I don't own one is I don't have the discipline not to try to max it out, oh yeah, and my $1100 car payment...ridiculous acceleration in a straight line, though. …

Edited by zrooster99

Mine is the one that is not naked.

25995_10100180814602933_5205683_58693405_5448077_n.jpg

Nice Duke. I was beginning to think I was the only Ducati enthusiast. I've been on the hunt for an '07 Monster SR4 with some nice Termi pipes for awhile now. I had a 998 back in the day but it wasn't pillion friendly so switched to the Monster series. I really enjoyed riding that bike and I could be a bit more carefree than I was with the 998 due to the lack of having to worry about marring the fairings.

I test riding a '02 Triumph Spint ST tonight. I'm also looking at a '96 CBR600F3 for my kid. Any inputs on these two bikes?

I think you'd like the Sprint a lot better than the 'Busa! From what I've heard, it's a very good bike; and this review agrees.

As for the CBR600F3, it's probably one of the best bikes in its class. Honda sold millions of them, and they are great for all kinds of riding. If there would be one concern, it would be the age of the bike (it's a 15-year-old sportbike). Look it over good, and hopefully the owner will have taken good care of it and have the maintenance records. If not, just be sure to check for any indications of crash damage.

But all in all, those are two great choices!

My post wasn't for motorcycle riders; I'm just looking for someone. Thanks for burying it in a tangentially related thread, mod.

Regardless, I'm buying the bike. Fuck it, you only live once. Pics to follow.

I bought a CBR600RR for my kid last night and I'm picking up the Triumph tonight on the way home. Pics to follow when I get the CBR out of the shop.

I bought a CBR600RR for my kid last night and I'm picking up the Triumph tonight on the way home. Pics to follow when I get the CBR out of the shop.

Nice find. I was going to recommend the F4i like I used to own since it is fuel injected but he should be really happy with the RR. Congrats on the bikes, should make for some good father/son rides.

2007 Chandler Original with an Ultima 113". It sounds like a fucking Nascar at idle.

Sweet bike. Don't chip a tooth riding a hardtail.

I'm looking for bobber-style, with a little more comfort. A hardtail would have been sweet 10 years ago, now I'm too freaking old.

What're you doing, bucking for Dad of the Year...?

Nicely done--enjoy the rides! :drinking:

Yes, I am.

He housed a full ride scholarship so I'm showing my appreciation for his efforts. The reciprocal benefit is I get some quality time with my son...and a bike for my self.

Edited by Rainman A-10

• 8 months later...

I thought about taking a Facebook poll, but realized the sample was fairly age-specific.

For the motorcycle riders here, how many of you have been involved in an accident? Was it just you or did it involve another vehicle? If injured, how serious were the injuries sustained?

Motorcycle riding isn't part of my family so I don't have their experience to draw on. The stats I have read state that professionals (lawyer, doctor, pilot, etc...) are under-represented in accidents, hence my pitch to the BO folks. I realize that riding a motorcycle riding is dangerous, but certain factors like speeding, alcohol, and not wearing safety gear certainly don't help the situation.

I am weary about riding (even with dirt bike experience, PPE and the MSF background) so I am hoping for some anecdotal evidence to support either claim.

Apologize if this post is a little morbid, just looking for some input. Also, if you have direct dealings with the aforementioned stuff please feel free to chime in as well.

Shanks.

I thought about taking a Facebook poll, but realized the sample was fairly age-specific.

For the motorcycle riders here, how many of you have been involved in an accident? Was it just you or did it involve another vehicle? If injured, how serious were the injuries sustained?

Motorcycle riding isn't part of my family so I don't have their experience to draw on. The stats I have read state that professionals (lawyer, doctor, pilot, etc...) are under-represented in accidents, hence my pitch to the BO folks. I realize that riding a motorcycle riding is dangerous, but certain factors like speeding, alcohol, and not wearing safety gear certainly don't help the situation.

I am weary about riding (even with dirt bike experience, PPE and the MSF background) so I am hoping for some anecdotal evidence to support either claim.

Apologize if this post is a little morbid, just looking for some input. Also, if you have direct dealings with the aforementioned stuff please feel free to chime in as well.

Shanks.

We rode a 1970 BSA Thunderbolt years ago before we had kids. Our kids came along and we didn't ride again until 2001 when I bought a 1993 Harley FLHS with 12,000 miles on it. It now has right at 50,000 on it. Most miles are 2 up day trip miles. Anyway, I answered a questionaire from ABATE once that asked how often I have a "close" call. My answer was every time I ride I have have a close call. Luckily, I not been in an accident yet. Close but no cigar. But the opportunities for an accident are there every day. Just riding defensively isn't enough. People driving cars just don't see bikes for what ever reason. All my close calls have involved other motor vehicles, not self induced. I'm 61 years old and I don't ride like I'm 20 anymore. I try not to over ride the road & bike especially with my wife on the bike with me most of these miles. I don't know how many responses you'll get that have been involved in accidents, so I thought I'd respond as one that hasn't. I wish I had my Beezer back!! Enjoy

Edited by OldPhart

Guest AFsock

I had another rider come into my lane in a turn first month I had my bike (first week he had his). He was about ~4 ft in front of me and ~20mph slower ... inexperience caused panic, grabbed a ton of front brake as I tried to stop straight ahead and ended up on the ground. Three years, however many thousand miles, the MSF sportbike course and a trackday later it's wouldn't have been a problem at all. Only thing I can say is besides the benefits of classes is go out with a single experienced rider/instructor early on and avoid group rides with strangers.

Edit - At impact I was probably ~40mph. I was wearing full gear. Cost me some cosmetic bike repairs, the stator cover, a set of jeans, and a $700 Arai helmet... but other than some nasty rash on my knees from wearing street jeans and an indian burn on my arm from having too baggy a jacket I was fine.

Like the above post said and you mentioned - *Full Gear*, maintaining SA, practicing max performance of the bike, and a little bit of playing "what if" will keep you safe.

Edited by AFsock

Shanks.

Sturgis 2010, an elderly couple decided to come to a complete stop in the fast lane driving north towards Rapid City to make an illegal u-turn. Well, b/c of this, I had to lock up my brakes on my bike but with only 2 brakes, wasn't stopping and had to lay the bike down just down the left side of their car. I was going about 35 mph and skidded on my left arm and back for about 30-40 feet. At the end of it all, I was laying flat on my back, my wife was laying on top of me, my bike was laying across my legs and the couple that caused it to begin with left the sceen of the accident. I spent 8 hours in the ER and my wife spent about 5 hours in the ER. Still today I have pain in my left elbow and every now and then another pebble/piece of road will work its way to the top of my skin and fall out.

As for experience; I have been riding since 5 years old, went through the military motorcycle safety course, went through a state motorcycle safety course and was the squadron motorcycle safety rep.

Needless to say, we were very lucky that all we had was roadrash and a beat up HD and nothing more.

Edited by Tank

My answer was every time I ride I have have a close call. Luckily, I not been in an accident yet. Close but no cigar. But the opportunities for an accident are there every day. Just riding defensively isn't enough. People driving cars just don't see bikes for what ever reason. All my close calls have involved other motor vehicles, not self induced.

Thanks for the response and glad to hear you have been fortunate in this light!

Like the above post said and you mentioned - *Full Gear*, maintaining SA, practicing max performance of the bike, and a little bit of playing "what if" will keep you safe.

Copy. I was in a pretty nasty bicycle accident so I am a firm believer in PPE saving skin. I was never too confident in jeans doing too much for a person in a motorcycle accident, and the more I read the less I debate getting some overpants.

As for experience; I have been riding since 5 years old, went through the military motorcycle safety course, went through a state motorcycle safety course and was the squadron motorcycle safety rep.

Needless to say, we were very lucky that all we had was roadrash and a beat up HD and nothing more.

Have you continued to ride since the accident? Given your experience and training, do you encourage people to ride or have you deemed it too risky?