Everything posted by arg
-
AC-130 AFSOC Questions
Read the Flight Characteristics section in the J-1. Plane did just what it said.
- I guess the bonus was not enough
-
I guess the bonus was not enough
Can't paste for some reason. Google Capt. Leon Brown IV of Minot Oops, I guess this happened in 2012
-
Farewell, Old Girl
That's how it is at ABQ. You could've flown Herks for 15 years and when you go through they are going to (re)teach you how the gear goes up and down.
-
Gun Talk
Thought this was pretty cool. My son is a High school Junior and his class is holding a raffle. The prize? A rifle and scope, 308 Cal. How many schools nowadays would let the kids raffle off a gun? Me thinks not too many.
-
AC-130 AFSOC Questions
Any MC-H/J drops? They are also a cool flying gig and more options for assignments.
-
AC-130 AFSOC Questions
If you don't learn to spell Hurlburt you will be sent to Cannon.
- Happy 60th, Mighty Herk
- Happy 60th, Mighty Herk
-
Body of young stowaway found in wheel well of C-130
New reports indicate he was above the wheel well. If so he had to be skinny to get up there.
-
AC-130 Gunship info
I guess I lobbed that one a little high. Let's just hope this one doesn't take even half as long as the U model did.
-
AC-130 Gunship info
It's officially an AFSOC asset now. The rims are painted black.
-
Return of Friday shirts / patches
I wonder who the guy was that decided we needed that flap on the sleeve pocket and knows what he created.
-
More SARC briefings soon.
Off topic but they can shitcan that whole ing shebang. AFSOC, Mil. and GS types, have transformed a fairly efficient training organization into a giant self-licking ice cream cone. No way you need that many stars to do the job. But hey, more jobs for Generals right? Weeks standing orders were to make training more efficient. OK, step one, more jobs for FGOs and GOs, riiight. I showed up at Hurbie in Janurary and was flying by myself in March. And you know what, the job I was doing is almost exactly the same as it is today. How did we do that?
-
Shaw AFB Capt Missing
I know Spoo, it is fascinating, but people actually did call it jogging in the 80s.
-
More SARC briefings soon.
It's a plan to get rid of all pilots in key positions at AFSOC and it's almost complete. I also wonder why they named the training section the Air Warfare Center. Makes them feel more warlike maybe?
-
Shaw AFB Capt Missing
Back in the 80s an 8th SOS pilot didn't show up for work after his leave was over. Thought to be AWOL. Turned out he had been jogging , on Lewis Turner for those of you familiar, at night with no ID and was hit by a car. Someone in the 8th put two and two together and thought they should go check out the unidentified male that had been in the hospital, unconscious, for a few days. He remembered reading it in the paper but didn't think anything of it. So they head over to FWB hospital and it was him. Not the case here but I think of this story whenever I hear about a missing/AWOL person.
-
Pilot over-reliance on automation.
My how things change. In the old Talon you could couple the autopilot to the TF/TA radar. Nobody that I know of ever trusted it. Never seen it used. Don't know if the 111 guys used theirs much or not.
- WTF? (**NSFW**)
-
AC-130H The Final Chapter
5,000 hours in those those whistlin' shithouses, Loved/Hated every minute of it. The sounds, the smells, the vibrations, the feelings of boredom coupled with exitement(yes, tingly too) I need a beer to wash down the lump in my throat
-
Is the KC-10 going to be cut?
The real problem stems from all the air refueling capable airplanes we built.
-
MC-12 Crash in Afghanistan
- More SARC briefings soon.
Like a flu shot.- Herk hard landing - Afghanistan
I'm not scoffing, I posted earlier that I'm pro FE, but you wont find a post, or statement from me anywhere saying an airplane designed without an FE or Nav should have one. I point out mistakes that were made on both sides. So it's not about FEs being removed, they were never there to begin with. Shit happens with and without FEs and Navs.- What's wrong with the Air Force?
I forgot what thread I was in. Anyway I know of two instances where a 16th SOS Evaluator Gunner took down co-pilots. The way it worked then was the gunner filled out the Fm8 and the CC either concurred or non concurred. Both cases he concurred. The infraction? Walking between #3 engine and the fuselage while the engine was running. Yes, it happened twice, several years apart. - More SARC briefings soon.