Fighter Aircrew Conditioning Test (FACT) info

Guest MLH

• 3 months later...
Guest dbuxton

Did the search thing and found several threads on the FACT but no answers to a question I have (I'll use this thread for it, what the hay).

There's a discrepancy between sources on the Strength portion of the FACT, specifically concerning what it takes to pass that part of it. The AETC instruction (11-406) says you have to do a minimum of 10 in each exercise, but the websites for Laughlin, Columbus, and even Baseops simply say 50 total reps, implying if you did less than 10 on one you can make it up on another. So... for those of you who have done the FACT already, which is it?

I know some of you say it's easy, but I'm a bit of a "hard gainer". After hitting the weight room 3x weekly for the last 3 months I can bench the requirement, but at 6 seconds a rep, it starts to get pretty tough for me around 8-9 (takes 48 seconds just to get that far).

Anyway, here's some cut and pastes from the sources I mentioned, and thanks for any replies:

From AETCI 11-406:

The FACT contains eight exercise events divided into two categories--strength and endurance. The test will be administered in the order provided on AETC Form 1705, Fighter Aircrew Conditioning Test Score Sheet. To pass this test, individuals must complete a minimum of ten repetitions in each of five events in the strength category plus the minimum required repetitions in all three events in the endurance category. Repetitions above the maximum do not count. The individual's total FACT score will be calculated by adding together the strength and endurance scores.

And from the UPT base websites:

To pass this test, individuals must complete a minimum of 50 total repetitions of the five events in the Strength Category and the minimum required repetition in all three events in the Endurance Category. Repetitions above the maximum are not counted.

I have only 2 months before UPT, so I guess I'll just keep at it!!

[ 24. June 2005, 12:12: Message edited by: Invader Bux ]

I'm not sure exactly what you're question, but it sounds like you're unsure whether you have to do 10 of each exercise or 50. The answer is both -- kind of.

As the AETCI says, you have to do 10 reps of the strength portion and 50 reps of the endurance portion. So when they load up the heavy weight, you need to do 10 reps of those. Then you'll decrease the weight significantly and do 50 reps. It's been so long since I took it that I don't remember specific numbers, but I remember doing my somewhere close to my body weight for the leg press. It doesn't seem like much, but after 50 it starts to burn.

Guest KoolKat

I think Toro is correct. The "heavy" weights require at least 10 reps (15 to max.) The "lighter" endurance portion requires 50 total among the differing events.

All I can say for sure is this thread contains much more accurate info than I've seen in past threads. The test isn't anything to worry about unless your built like Olive Oil.

sport-smiley-003.gif

[ 26. June 2005, 21:50: Message edited by: KoolKat ]

• 10 months later...
Guest flightproak

I've seen on this website some info about the FACT and some requirements. When is this administered and what are the requirements? Is it a pass/fail and what are the consequences? I can do the AF Fit test fine and pass, but I'm not sure I understand the FACT. It seems like a fighter thing and I am ANG headed to fly 135's. Anybody help me here?

Guest POL_Pilot

Just came through Phys about a month ago. You will have to take the test, but you are not required to pass it being that you are Guard and not going to a fighter. My advice is to take it. It is really not that hard to pass and it also gives Phys a good idea about your G tolerances even though I am not sure if that is a big deal in the T-6.

Guest gotmyslot

You'll have to pass it if you go F-15Es, but not for bombers, because they don't pull more than 2 Gs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DaRevrend

All pilots and strike navs (so that brings in navs other than just 15E wsos that have to take it) that go through Pcola have to take it. They are strict on the form and count slowly for the reps. You take it while you are in "a pool" waiting to class up for API, but don't actually have to pass it until later in the programs. This is a pretty recent change, and the people that struggle with it most are either incredibly out of shape (strength wise, not cardio) dudes and most females due to the concentration of upper body excercises.

Rev

• 1 year later...

Just look it up...it's not rocket science. From http://www.baseops.net/militarypilot/physicalfitness.html:

The Fighter Aircrew Conditioning Test (FACT) will determine an individual's muscle fitness as it applies to operating high-G aircraft and identify anaerobic weakness that can be improved through specific physical conditioning. The FACT contains eight exercise events divided into two categories: Strength Test and Muscular Endurance Test. To pass this test, individuals must complete a minimum of 50 total repetitions of the five events in the Strength Category and the minimum required repetition in all three events in the Endurance Category. Repetitions above the maximum are not counted. The individual's total FACT score is calculated by adding together the strength and endurance scores.

The Strength Test Category requires 10-15 repetitions. Exercise and weight requirements include: your body weight multiplied by .35 for arm curls, .8 for bench press, .7 for lat pulls, 1.6 for leg press and .5 for leg curls.

The Muscular Endurance Test includes: push-ups, abdominal crunches and leg presses at a minimum of 20 reps to a maximum of 50 reps. (remember: no extra points for over the max amount).

• 2 months later...
All pilots and strike navs (so that brings in navs other than just 15E wsos that have to take it) that go through Pcola have to take it. They are strict on the form and count slowly for the reps. You take it while you are in "a pool" waiting to class up for API, but don't actually have to pass it until later in the programs. This is a pretty recent change, and the people that struggle with it most are either incredibly out of shape (strength wise, not cardio) dudes and most females due to the concentration of upper body excercises.

Rev

You have to take it, but you only have to pass if you're going F-15E's. I can't recall if failing makes you ineligible to select fighters, or if you have to pass it prior to winging if you select fighters.

• 2 months later...

It's easy, but it definitely will make you more tired than you think you'll be. Stretching is a good idea and definitely do some lifting beforehand. You're going to be incredibly sore/tired if you haven't lifted weights in 6-9 months prior to the test.

Does anyone know what the different ratings are for the FACT. I know that an Outstanding is a 200 or higher, but what are the other categories and ranges?

Outstanding > 200

Excellent = 181-200

Average = 120-180

Unsat < 120

One pt per rep, max of 15 on strength excercises, and 50 on endurance excercises.

Forgot to mention, people seemed to fail the leg press and the chest/bench press, difficulty order seemed to be

Leg Press

Bench Press

Lat Pull

Leg Curls

Arm Curls

Sissy squats and Leg Press will also hurt if you've got a bad knee so make sure you've done what you need to do before that. I'm not saying you should take a handful of NSAIDs beforehand, but I'm not saying you shouldn't ;)

I'm not in great shape (69.5"/34.5" and I run around a 12 min on the PFT usually) and I still eeked by into the excellent category. We had one or two failures though because of the leg press. Getting it off the stops was the hardest part on that one.

Forgot to mention, people seemed to fail the leg press and the chest/bench press, difficulty order seemed to be

Leg Press

Bench Press

Lat Pull

Leg Curls

Arm Curls

Sissy squats and Leg Press will also hurt if you've got a bad knee so make sure you've done what you need to do before that. I'm not saying you should take a handful of NSAIDs beforehand, but I'm not saying you shouldn't ;)

I'm not in great shape (69.5"/34.5" and I run around a 12 min on the PFT usually) and I still eeked by into the excellent category. We had one or two failures though because of the leg press. Getting it off the stops was the hardest part on that one.

Just FYI, but Vance is the only place I've been to that does the whole "sissy squat" thing. Randolph (IFF) and Luke both make you do your body weight on the same squat machine you do for the 15 rep deal. Luke also makes you do PFT style situps instead of crunches, and they have a "top-off" of leg curls and squats at the end.

Leg Press

Bench Press

Lat Pull

Leg Curls

Arm Curls

Sounds good. I appreciate it.

Does anyone know if there is a standard order you do these events in. I took a practice FACT the other day and passed it easier than I thought I would, but I'd like to take a few more practice one's between now and then and I'd like to get used to the order you perform the events.

After taking that practice one I'll agree that the hardest part definitely seems to be the Leg Press followed by the Chest Press. The arm curls are a joke and I'm not even the type of guy with very strong biceps.

Edited by FLY6584

Sounds good. I appreciate it.

Does anyone know if there is a standard order you do these events in. I took a practice FACT the other day and passed it easier than I thought I would, but I'd like to take a few more practice one's between now and then and I'd like to get used to the order you perform the events.

After taking that practice one I'll agree that the hardest part definitely seems to be the Leg Press followed by the Chest Press. The arm curls are a joke and I'm not even the type of guy with very strong biceps.

There is no order - it's just where you happen to start since everyone will be doing a machine and rotating to the next. Make sure if you're practicing that you're doing the 3 second up 3 second down count. It's much harder that way.. And between the three bases I've taken the test, all three had different machines - so even though you may do the same weight at each, the resistance will be different based on the type of machine. Some are easier than others.

• 3 weeks later...

The FACT -- in terms of threats while at UPT -- I would put this one closer, if not at, the bottom of the things you should be concerned about. If you have the time now, then yeah, hit the gym -- it will only help you prepare for the 100+ heat and double turning etc... ENJJPT takes it pretty serious -- at least they did when I was there -- everyone went to 38's and everyone was going for fighter qualification. They were form strict and even made you follow the redamndickulous metronome. You being guard and going to a 135, I wouldn't give a flying monkeys ass about it.

We had two guys fail it -- one for bench and one for leg presses. The only reprecussion from it are two things: 1. You will get the eyeball when you go to 38's for proper G-strain. 2 The results of this test are passed directly to the squadron commander and up the chain from there -- G-Loc ing and dying seems to make people frown -- so it puts your name in lights in a bad way. For others FYI: You have to pass it before they will put you in a 38.

It was not until I flew everyday, many times twice a day, in 100-115 degree Texas heat -- that I understood the reason the Air Force does not look for just the smartest dude to fly jets for them. If this were the case, Air Force pilots would consist of chess clubs and math majors, and Albert Einstein could have probably been the best pilot in the world if the world stayed 73 degrees and 1G.

So, what I am trying to tell you, is that if you are a fat ass -- your problems will start long before the FACT.

• 5 months later...
How many folks coming to UPT just plain suck, physically? I hear the FACT is a pretty big deal there if you want in to fighters, does it weed out many folks? Also, is there a seperate standard for females? Thanks

The FACT does not weed people out, it's really not that big a deal. Back in the day when I was in IFF a dude hooked the FACT test...wasn't a big deal. Just go to the gym like you should be doing anwyas and you will be fine. I'd be more worried about how well you can fly if you want fighters vice the FACT. You shouldn't have issues maxing it out unless you're in bad shape. I think the FACT is kinda :rainbow: myself. Arm curls and chest presses don't do shit for pulling G's in a fighter. It's all about leg and ab strength.

unless something has changed, you won't take the FACT at Whiting. You just do the Navy PT test during API, which is amazingly similar to our current test except 2 min for pushups/situps vs 1 min.

• 3 years later...

That's what we were told at the start of UPT. Evidently they are only now realizing this test has no bearing on how well you pull Gs. Typical AF.

Word is this test is being changed/done away with. Any truth to this?