Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

If you promote between your orders being cut and your PCS, are you paid entitlements based on inprocessing rank or what is listed on your orders?

Entitlements are paid for the rank you held on the "effective date of orders". That date is calculated by your sign-in for duty date at the new PDS less any authorized travel days and ordered TDY. Meaning the latest date you would have to leave your old PDS to take care of TDY and official travel without any leave calculated to get to your new PDS by your sign-in date. I'd have to double check the rules on TDY enroute. But if you get promoted before you leave the old PDS, then for sure everything is calculated on your new rank.

FG

EFF_Date_of_PCS_Order-JFTR_App-A.pdf

If you promote between your orders being cut and your PCS, are you paid entitlements based on inprocessing rank or what is listed on your orders?

Below are the references. So to clarify on TDY enroutes, effective date would be the sign-in date less the authorized days to travel from the last TDY enroute to the new PDS. So if you pin-on before the TDY enroute ends, you are definitely paid at your new rate. This all really applies to DLA.

JFTR Appendix A - Definitions

EFFECTIVE DATE OF PCS ORDER

A. UNIFORMED MEMBER

1. For a member being separated/retired, the last day of active duty. See below for an RC member being separated.

2. For all others, including an RC member being separated and a recalled retired member who continues in an active duty status during the time allowed for return travel home, the date the member is required to begin travel from the old PDS, the member’s home, PLEAD, last TDY station, safe haven location or designated place, whichever applies, to arrive at the new PDS, home, or PLEAD, on the date authorized by the transportation mode authorized and/or used.

3. An IPCOT order effective date is the first day of duty on the new tour. See IPCOT definition.

4. The following are examples of computing an order’s effective date: (See attached PDF page extract)

AFI 65-114,

8.29.3. Promotions after PCS Order Issuance. Members, promoted after PCS orders issuance and on or before the effective date of orders, are authorized DLA based on the higher grade. Examples of valid evidence are:

8.29.3.1. Promotion orders or a “MD” print from the MMPA.

So - I found out I'm doing a short notice PCS with a TDY enroute. Looks like I'll have orders 2-3 weeks prior to my final out which is in the beginning of December.

The property managment company I rent my house through won't let me prorate rent for December. Is there anything I can do about that? I can leave on 30 November or pay for December. Anyone been in this situation before? Don't know if I can move in time and don't want to pay for an entire months rent for about a weeks worth of time.

Thanks...

Edited by billy pilgrim

Billy--get TMO to get your goods picked up the last week of Nov (for storage while TDY), move out and into TLF/lodging/hotel until your final out. This is what your BAH & DLA is for.

TLE helps cover the extra expense too. But, what about military clause? From what I read if you had a military clause in the lease it should have allowed for prorating of rent. But if not, then I'd try to get out by 30 Nov.

REF: http://www.housing.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-110805-056.pdf

I see nothing in the SCRA that requires a military clause. Here's something else I found written by a retire JAG officer:

http://apps.americanbar.org/family/military/scrajudgesguidecklist.pdf

22. Q. Can a servicemember get a refund of his security deposit or prepaid rent?

A. If the rent was paid in advance, the landlord must refund the unearned portion. The member is required to pay rent only for those months before the lease is terminated. If a security deposit was required, it must be refunded to the member upon termination of the lease.

I'm not a lawyer but if you have given them proper notice, it seems like you should be able to get it back. I would go talk to JAG.

Here's one I can't find an answer to...

I'm TDY En route and all of my stuff is in temp storage in Tucson. One of my bros just moved to DM and wants to sell me some of his old furniture that he just had hauled up there. Does anybody know a way to get stuff added to my temp storage while I'm still TDY. I won't be out of here until the middle/end of Jan.

• 2 weeks later...

...burn the home of record move...not a wise choice if you have stuff elsewhere

Or schedule a "second" pickup if you are under your weight limit

Money. I'm way under the weight limit! Taking excessive amounts of time to deal with TMO while the vault is open is a foul, so I try to just figure things out after hours without dealing with them.

I was under the impression that the HOR move was not a one time shipment, but rather a one time weight allotment. As in whatever weight you had left over from your very first move from your then weight allotment was available for the rest of your time in. I actually used this once already to ship some stuff from my parent's house to Europe. TMO said then that I had another 2K worth of shipments available from my first move.

• 2 weeks later...

This might be old news to some but it was new to me so I thought I would share. I'm separating in a few weeks and had my JPPSO appointment last week to plan my final PCS. I entered active duty in Atlanta but I am moving to Connecticut for my final move so I assumed I would be paying money out of pocket for the extra distance. However the payment is calculated differently than I realized. First they calculate your Max Government Obligation, which is based on the total amount you are allowed to move for your rank. So in my case as a Capt with dependents I'm allowed 14,500 lbs to move to Atlanta and that is the MGO. In reality I'm going to be moving around 6,000 lbs to Connecticut. I assumed that they would calculate the cost for moving my 6,000 lbs to Atlanta then I would have to pay the difference for moving further. Since they use the MGO not my actual weight that means that since moving 6,000 lbs to Connecticut is less expensive than moving 14,500 lbs to Atlanta I actually won't have to pay anything. That was pretty good news for me. Just thought I would add the info to this thread in case others were under the same impression I was.

• Upvote 1

Here's an even better question... I am TDY En Route, and just got married. Since I have not yet checked in to my gaining PDS, is it possible to get her stuff moved from her mom's house in another state? I've never used my HOR move, so that option is still on the table... I'm mostly looking for the reg to quote when I go into TMO and they try to say they can't help me at all.

don't burn your HOR move to haul 1000lbs of new wifey frilly things. You'll need that move later and it will be much more valuable later.

Examples of when a good time to use it will be? Not calling you out, just curious what others have used it for.

Examples of when a good time to use it will be? Not calling you out, just curious what others have used it for.

After you get out and have 8 kids and are authorized 20k lbs and just bought the retirement ranch. The HOR move is good forever .... But only once.

The HOR move is good forever .... But only once.

It is good only once, but not forever. Under normal circumstances a retiree must declare and move to their HOR (and ship HHGs) within 1 year of retirement. There are waiver requests but those have to meet certain criteria and are normally only for HHGs.

• 2 weeks later...

New DLA rates effective 1 Jan 2013. SYNOPSIS: Increase the DLA rates effective 1 January 2013 based on the Employment Cost Index (ECI) of 1.7%. 37 USC 1009© contains an automatic pay raise provision in the event Congress doesn't act. However, section 601 of the Conference Report of the FY13 NDAA includes a pay raise of 1.7%. Changes are scheduled to appear in JFTR change 314, dated 1 February 2013.

Rates Attached...

DLA Rates 1Jan2013 MAP 163-12.pdf

Searched for an answer to this but couldn't find the details that I need. Basically, during my last PCS the packers and movers did a horrible job. They broke a bunch of our stuff through terrible packing and our driver was a complete sleaze. He filled everything out with such bad handwriting that I couldn't read a word that he put on there. We signed the paper work and as it turns out he and the packers omitted some stuff off of the paperwork or put some things that were completely wrong and now the claims people are trying to hit me over the head with this. Specifically, we have a very nice fridge that they damaged/scraped pretty bad but on the paperwork the driver put that it was rusted and damaged already (I still can't even really tell that that is what the paperwork says but that is what the claims people are saying), but it was in almost perfect condition with no rust or scratches. I am also trying to claim a model that they broke but they just threw it in a box and didn't put it on the paperwork, and a crystal glass that was shattered but again it is not on the paperwork that it is crystal.

My question is do I have any recourse here? I was actually told by another driver that we ended up having that the originally driver that did the paperwork has been banned from certain places because of his poor handwriting trick and that he is dishonest. I also have seen that I can go to someone on base if I am having trouble with a claim. Thoughts?

Searched for an answer to this but couldn't find the details that I need. Basically, during my last PCS the packers and movers did a horrible job. They broke a bunch of our stuff through terrible packing and our driver was a complete sleaze. He filled everything out with such bad handwriting that I couldn't read a word that he put on there. We signed the paper work and as it turns out he and the packers omitted some stuff off of the paperwork or put some things that were completely wrong and now the claims people are trying to hit me over the head with this. Specifically, we have a very nice fridge that they damaged/scraped pretty bad but on the paperwork the driver put that it was rusted and damaged already (I still can't even really tell that that is what the paperwork says but that is what the claims people are saying), but it was in almost perfect condition with no rust or scratches. I am also trying to claim a model that they broke but they just threw it in a box and didn't put it on the paperwork, and a crystal glass that was shattered but again it is not on the paperwork that it is crystal.

My question is do I have any recourse here? I was actually told by another driver that we ended up having that the originally driver that did the paperwork has been banned from certain places because of his poor handwriting trick and that he is dishonest. I also have seen that I can go to someone on base if I am having trouble with a claim. Thoughts?

Why did you sign that shit?

1. Watch your movers, and tell them before they pack that any item with comments needs to be reviewed by you to make sure it's annotated correctly.

2. Don't sign shit that ain't right. Call the on-call TMO guy if you need someone to intervene, and stand your ground. The movers are getting paid by the hour anyway.

3. Make sure you give an honest and accurate post-move review. Help your bros out.

Why did you sign that shit?

1. Watch your movers, and tell them before they pack that any item with comments needs to be reviewed by you to make sure it's annotated correctly.

2. Don't sign shit that ain't right. Call the on-call TMO guy if you need someone to intervene, and stand your ground. The movers are getting paid by the hour anyway.

3. Make sure you give an honest and accurate post-move review. Help your bros out.

Yeah, thanks for the totally worthless advice. I know the shit that I messed up dude, but there were a lot of other factors going on with this move that made it impossible to watch everything that they were doing and I had to put my attention on about 5 other things at the time to ensure that my life did not completely fall apart. I'll save you the details.

Does anyone have any advice on what I could do now if anything?

I hate to tell you this, but once you sign the form you are essentially verifying the movers' assessment of the condition of your property. B.L., you may very well be SOL, regardless of the shadiness of the contractor. If you were "too busy/distracted" to go over the form before you signed it, you have no one else to blame for your current predicament.

Ram did give you sage advice, you f-ed up, by your own admission. Learn from it.

Try to find the items in a pre-move photo or video. I've had some limited success challenging the "condition" in chicken scratch code on the inventory after the fact. Limited.

Also recommend video tape inventory of everything before the movers show up next time .... Preferably with some dated proof in the video. Think hostage tape.

• Upvote 1