Harrison Ford Successfully Lands Malfunctioning Aircraft

ClearedHot

Harrison's been having a rough time with injuries. He hurt his ankle just recently on the set of the Millennium Falcon. I really hope he manages to stay healthy long enough to finish the new Star Wars trilogy! I bet JJ Abrams is on the phone with him like "if I pay you an extra million bucks, can you promise not to have any more dangerous hobbies over the next few years?"

Edit:

looks like although the headlines are saying he was "seriously injured", people on the scene are saying he's hurt but doing alright: "We are very thankful that the passenger had [only] very moderate injuries," Los Angeles Assistant Fire Chief Patrick Butler said." http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/harrison-ford-injured-plane-crash-n318301

Assuming it was a mechanical issue, it looks like he's just as good a pilot in real life as he is in the Star Wars universe! Judging by the crash scene photos, it looks like he put it down in a good spot.

Edited by xcraftllc

The golf course manager immediately asked him to please replace his divot.

Lol, I vote that they leave the plane there and play it as a natural obstacle.

There will probably be some people who say he shouldn't have attempted "the impossible turn" but if you look at the area, it was actually probably the best thing to do, especially for the safety of the local population considering how dense that area is. Based on the photos, he put it down on the northeast corner just short of the approach end of runway 03. The only other open area was the beach and that would have put others at risk. As far as I can tell, kudos to Solo :beer:

post-50799-0-74220800-1425605604_thumb.p

Edited by xcraftllc

Engine definitely not turning at time of impact - the visible blade of the (wood) prop doesn't look cracked/splintered/broken at all.

BTW... no post-impact fire... despite some significant damage to the nose.

I hope that doesn't mean the tank was empty.

Engine definitely not turning at time of impact - the visible blade of the (wood) prop doesn't look cracked/splintered/broken at all.

I hope that doesn't mean the tank was empty.

Or a fuel selector valve thing like John Denver. I doubt it though.

Sounds like he did turn back for 03. That cost him altitude. There were some nice long fairways for him to set down on if he hadn't tried to "stretch" his glide back to the asphalt. Hope he's OK.

LS

Haha yeah man i had seen that, he's just a bad ass man. Also like that clint eastwood is a pilot as well... speaks to the generational gap and the fact i have friends that are more excited to sit in a chair and fly their stupid 1000 dollar robot around 10 min at a time then to hop in a plane and go for a ride with me

• Upvote 2

I keep a small 4 person raft in my GA aircraft for reasons like this. Engine fails? Just jump out, hop on the raft and fall slowly to safety.

(Note: only works in the Himalayas)

I prefer to hide in the smuggler's hideout and let the runways autoland bring me in

CNN's "Expert" aviation analyst: "Expert: Dangerous plane

The crash probably has less to do with the pilot and more with the plane, said CNN aviation analyst Mary Schiavo.

The older the plane, the more likely it is to crash, she said. "As the years go on, they get a lot more dangerous."

"They need very special care," and aviation laws proscribe their flying parameters. "You have to follow a special aging aircraft protocol," Schiavo said.

But she complimented Ford's move. He set the unpowered plane up for a good glide, she said.

Ford also drives a vintage car, a late model Jaguar convertible, which he has often been photographed in."

The crash probably has less to do with the pilot and more with the plane, said CNN aviation analyst Mary Schiavo.

The older the plane, the more likely it is to crash, she said. "As the years go on, they get a lot more dangerous."

"They need very special care," and aviation laws proscribe their flying parameters. "You have to follow a special aging aircraft protocol," Schiavo said.

But she complimented Ford's move. He set the unpowered plane up for a good glide, she said.

Ford also drives a vintage car, a late model Jaguar convertible, which he has often been photographed in."

I'm not much for civilian flying, but wtf is a special aging aircraft protocol? Is that like when we had restricted tails when we were still flying E models?

Yeah that's why You never see SR22s crash. What an idiot...