Satellites?

Milchstrasse

In Afghanistan, I've seen a ton of shooting stars/satellites since it's so clear and there's very little light pollution.

...standing by for U-2 guys stories of reading "how's my driving" bumper stickers on satellites every 5 minutes.

In Afghanistan, I've seen a ton of shooting stars/satellites since it's so clear and there's very little light pollution.

...standing by for U-2 guys stories of reading "how's my driving" bumper stickers on satellites every 5 minutes.

In my case (over 20 years in the U-2), I never paid much attention to looking up. Most of the flying was in the daytime, and looking up for much of a 10 hour flight is boring. Additionally, in a pressure suit, the helmet hurts the neck. I did see a few, but they were just moving lights. Now comets, that was different. Because most (95%) of the obscuring atmosphere is below you, that point of light with a very small and indistinct blur for a tail that you see from the ground is a very bright center with an enormously long and distinct tail. The most impressive was Kahotek (sp?) back in the mid-70s. That one was incredible...it covered half the sky!!

• Upvote 5

In my case (over 20 years in the U-2), I never paid much attention to looking up. Most of the flying was in the daytime, and looking up for much of a 10 hour flight is boring. Additionally, in a pressure suit, the helmet hurts the neck. I did see a few, but they were just moving lights. Now comets, that was different. Because most (95%) of the obscuring atmosphere is below you, that point of light with a very small and indistinct blur for a tail that you see from the ground is a very bright center with an enormously long and distinct tail. The most impressive was Kahotek (sp?) back in the mid-70s. That one was incredible...it covered half the sky!!

Kohoutek was 1973 and a big flop here on the surface. Comet West was 1976 and, for a short time, was visible in daytime.

LS

Kohoutek was 1973 and a big flop here on the surface. Comet West was 1976 and, for a short time, was visible in daytime.

LS

Yeah, that's the impact of atmospheric diffusion of light and sometimes of being close to the horizon. It was NOT a flop at 70k...it was the biggest and brightest I ever saw. I've seen a number of comets, many of which were not even visible on the surface, and they are sometimes pretty spectacular. Also, being very high allows you to see "sprites"...lightning-llike discharges going up into the atmosphere from the top of megacells. They are a bit rare but also neat to watch. For some reason they seem to be more common in NE Asia and off the Russian north pacific coast, or that's where I saw them more frequently.

• Upvote 5