Instrument Studying before UPT

Classic, Hoss. Actually, I remember reading an article or a thread on that difference many years ago, like back in the UPT days when I actually did intentional upside down flying. It might have even been on this site. So I did indeed know the difference, I just figured if I said "I was flying some aero" instead of flying some acro, the FNGs might thing I was talking about flying with an aerodynamics book or something.

The sad thing is that so many grammatically incorrect things have made it into the mainstream that sometimes you can sound like an idiot when you actually use the correct words. Oh, well, I ain't going to waste all day thinking about it. Ha.

It did for the dude who told me "the rich get richer." He was one of the first guys to drop the raptor out of UPT, I feel like that carries a little bit of weight.

Well, if he told you this right after he was a student, I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight in it. If he's been an IP since then, his perspective might have changed a little.

Prior time helps a little, but it really depends. If a guy has golden hands, his going to be better than a guy that doesn't (eventually) regardless of the prior time.

Here's a piece of advice for new UPT studs: You can either show up to a brief with one of two attitudes:

1.) The student shows up for a flight with that attitude that I will teach them everything.

2.) The student shows up to each flight with the attitude that he's going to demonstrate to me everything he has learned so far.

I'll let you guess which one is the more successful student.

It was mentioned a handful of times to know the radio calls, cold, upon arrival to UPT. Is there a summary sheet out there with standard UPT radio calls for the initial UPT stages? I've picked up on a few standard calls by reading AFMAN's pertaining to the Texan flight training. Is there an easier way to get a listing of these radio calls, rather than sifting through hundreds of AFMAN pages? Appreciate it.

Edited by FlyingCornCob

I wouldn't get that deep into it. Negative transfer and whatnot. The VFR pattern in T-6s is pretty unique and if you try to teach it to yourself, you'll likely do it incorrectly. Not to worry though, there'll be plenty of time for pattern parties in the flight room.

Dude, you definitely don't need to know a single radio call before UPT. For each phase, you will have academics that will teach you everything you need to know. Enjoy your time before pilot training, then show ready to work. Academics is 6 weeks before you ever hit the flight line. Study radio calls during contact. There will be time to study for instruments and a bunch of sims. Don't waste your time/money.

If you look at everything now, you will most likely 1) not understand it, or B) learn it wrong. No one there to answer questions, possibly outdated pubs, etc. There is a lot gained with academic instructors and probably more from your senior classes that can explain everything to you when you're there. Once you hit the flight line you'll have IPs sitting in the flight room to answer questions.

Edited by check6

Got it, you were weak in UPT, and the injustices of the world have made you a crusader for the new generation of students with no hands. Good. UPT needs instructors like you too.

Here's a tip: don't be a d!ck on the flight deck. I've been instructing for a long time at the FTU and rarely ever yelled at students...and the times I did, I was yelling for them to let go of the flight controls because they were trying to kill me. I've seen lots of great instructors who take the time to explain to their studs what's going on and why they are doing what they are doing. And I've seen some real a$$holes who think it's cool to yell at the kids and make them auger in (grade-wise) on a ride...I don't get it. You're an INSTRUCTOR pilot. Even as an evaluator, I just sit there, be a good copilot, and if they are starting to go off the ranch I'll ask the dreaded "so, what should we be doing now" phrase. But I don't yell at people unless there's a very good reason to.

Oh, and FWIW, dudes who don't yell at their studs later in life weren't necessarily "weak in UPT". Nice argument, though (sarcasm alert).

Break, break...

And for the OP...I generally agree that UPT will teach you what you need to know. Plenty of zero-timers have walked through the doors and graduated with their wings just fine. That being said, I arrived at UPT having already been a rated pilot (Army helo pilot), and I knew how to fly on instruments. It was still a lot of work (lots of local area procedures, etc), but while I was focusing on the details, my fellow classmates were still trying to figure out how to fly basic instrument procedures (ie, climbing turns on instruments, etc). I already had that stuff down pat, and I cruised through the instrument portion.

Each person's mileage may vary -there were regional airline FOs at UPT that struggled with every aspect of the program- but IF you have the money, it probably wouldn't hurt to practice doing some basic instrument flying. I don't mean flying an ILS or a STAR, but I mean learning how to fly straight and level, doing climbs, descents, turns and eventually climbing turns on instruments. Having some of that experience in your back pocket might not seal the DG (Distinguished Graduate) award for you, but it might make life just slightly easier for you and increase your confidence flying IFR. I'll add that if you do decide to get some IMC flying experience, find a CFI that's been an ex-airline guy or ex-military...they tend to be more regimented which is what you need to prepare you for military flying.

• Upvote 1

Everyone loves to tell the story of the legendary Commercial upteen thousand hour pilot that couldn't hack UPT. I think his name was Big Foot. In my class, we had a few guardsmen with some civy time. They all did well. Our sister flight had a dude with lots o civilian time, he was top in the class on the 38 side. The guy that finished dead last, had 0 time, not even a PPL or flight screening program time, but he did finish.

The point, its your aviation career, prepare for it however you wish. Yes UPT IPs will show you stuff, but preparating doesn't hurt. Oh, and if an IP yells at you, you get to yell back...CRM 101.

Out

I know of one. He was a Army Guard helo pilot that also flew for a regional. I knew him from my Army Guard days because he was a RLO in my aviation battalion. I saw him as I was graduating from Laughlin...apparently an AFRC unit picked him up and sent him to FWQ. I heard later that he washed out of the program....but from what I knew of him from my Army days he was sort of an idiot, which is probably why the ARNG let him go (we were always fat on WOs and short on RLOs).

Bottom line: having some experience won't help much if you're a retard.

• Upvote 2

In my UPT class the former airline guy smoked UPT and was DG. He then almost washed out of IFF because he didn't understand flying the airplane aggressively and didn't have a fighter pilot attitude. A couple classes later the former airline guy did wash out of IFF and went to fly heavies and is loving every minute of it.

Hueypilot nailed it (sts) with his bottom line.

The prior time guys usually are pretty good, but it's true, some do suck. I know a few that (former reg. jet pilot) that scared me every time I flew with her. Another that was a CFII and was as sharp as a bowling ball. I will say though that in general, previous instrument flying skills obviously gave an advantage during the instrument portion, it also helped make a smoother lead platform during the formation phase. However, I wouldn't suggest going and shelling out the thousands of dollars to get your Instrument endorsment.

Credentials: FAIP, (cue hate the FAIP song)