Jump to content
Tex

Columbus AFB Information

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, sforron said:

At the risk of deviating from transport-related questions here, what's the current situation for overnight visitors in the UOQs at Columbus? I'm married, planning on doing UPT unaccompanied, and am told that I'll be able to collect BAH while in the UOQ (since I'm a Reservist with a lease elsewhere), but I'd prefer my spouse be able to visit on the occasional weekend. Seems like it's prohibited by the AFI unless otherwise authorized. Is it allowed (officially or otherwise), or should I just expect to spring for an off-base hotel when she visits?

Dude no one will ever give a $hit if/when the wife visits, enjoy your family time to the max extent.  Those rules are there to prevent people from having 69 people living in the same dorm room.  Now that all being said, find someone who has an open room and go live there, save a few bucks and it gets you away from base each day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one gave a shit 3-4 years ago. Bunch of the guard bros lived next to each other in the dorms, we always knew when ones one wife came to visit by the noises made in flight room that Monday morning. Apparently there were a lot of screamers, or fakers. 

Complete side note, lots of cool areas around Columbus that make a good weekend trip, Nashville, New Orleans, Pcola, just to name a few. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, YoungnDumb said:

Dude no one will ever give a $hit if/when the wife visits, enjoy your family time to the max extent.  Those rules are there to prevent people from having 69 people living in the same dorm room.  Now that all being said, find someone who has an open room and go live there, save a few bucks and it gets you away from base each day.

Good to know, just making sure. I'm told that I can live in the UOQ and collect full BAH, so it's not a matter of renting a room off base to save money.

11 hours ago, viper154 said:

No one gave a shit 3-4 years ago. Bunch of the guard bros lived next to each other in the dorms, we always knew when ones one wife came to visit by the noises made in flight room that Monday morning. Apparently there were a lot of screamers, or fakers. 

Complete side note, lots of cool areas around Columbus that make a good weekend trip, Nashville, New Orleans, Pcola, just to name a few. 

Weekend trips are definitely planned, but I'm operating on the assumption that there will be times when it would be nice to see each other but I won't have the time to get away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sforron said:

Good to know, just making sure. I'm told that I can live in the UOQ and collect full BAH

Did you hear that from the UOQ manager? Just curious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JRBac said:

Did you hear that from the UOQ manager? Just curious

From the 340th FTG during inprocessing at Randolph a few weeks ago. Due to being Reserve and having a spouse and lease elsewhere. I know it seems contrary to the what the regs say, but they were firm that it would be allowed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, sforron said:

From the 340th FTG during inprocessing at Randolph a few weeks ago. Due to being Reserve and having a spouse and lease elsewhere. I know it seems contrary to the what the regs say, but they were firm that it would be allowed.

 Okay, cool. Another option you might want to look into is getting a house on base. The ones they give to Lts up here are way more spacious than the UOQ rooms, and you'd break right about even with BAH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JRBac said:

 Okay, cool. Another option you might want to look into is getting a house on base. The ones they give to Lts up here are way more spacious than the UOQ rooms, and you'd break right about even with BAH

Eh, I'd rather have ~$1200 a month tax free (collecting based on my HOR rate) and a small studio apartment, than a house and no money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sforron said:

Eh, I'd rather have ~$1200 a month tax free (collecting based on my HOR rate) and a small studio apartment, than a house and no money.

 

fair enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody have any SA on the base housing wait list for 4 bedroom CGO/FGO permanent party? Housing Office won’t give us any information without orders in hand. Thanks for the replies! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone showing up who plans on staying in the dorms, the manager tells you it's a twin XL mattress, but it's really a full XL (53x80). Just in case you want to order the right size sheets/mattress topper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stoker said:

For anyone showing up who plans on staying in the dorms, the manager tells you it's a twin XL mattress, but it's really a full XL (53x80). Just in case you want to order the right size sheets/mattress topper. keep your 'hospital corner' game strong.

FIFY. I know what you meant.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×