Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jaded

Seven Day Option

Recommended Posts

Currently flying T-1. Haven't gotten anything yet, but it would be an 11R gig. I'm former JSTARS, but could just as easily do RC-135 or E-3.

Ask to move to PIT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Stay at current location to finish commitment, potentially with a nice 365 thrown in.

How is this an option if you 7 day opt? Your chain of command has nothing to do with a 365. It's all managed at AFPC based on STRD. All your command could do is protect you with a DAV code. You're don't even compete with guys at your base for a 365, it's all down range requirements and STRD's thrown into a spreadsheet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is this an option if you 7 day opt? Your chain of command has nothing to do with a 365. It's all managed at AFPC based on STRD. All your command could do is protect you with a DAV code. You're don't even compete with guys at your base for a 365, it's all down range requirements and STRD's thrown into a spreadsheet.

Very naive. I've seen too many bros get shacked with a 365 or a 179 after 7-day opting, completing their command tour or getting within 1.5 years of retirement. Someone at AFPC is looking at a lot more that STRD, because those numbers were all over the place - some ancient and some fairly recent. The thing they all had in common? It was little/no ability to say no.

7-day opting can leave you with 1.5 years of ADSC remaining. I've seen one 365 and a slew of 179s thrown at dudes in that exact situation.

Edited by ViperStud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very naive. I've seen too many bros get shacked with a 365 or a 179 after 7-day opting, completing their command tour or getting within 1.5 years of retirement. Someone at AFPC is looking at a lot more that STRD, because those numbers were all over the place - some ancient and some fairly recent. The thing they all had in common? It was little/no ability to say no.

7-day opting can leave you with 1.5 years of ADSC remaining. I've seen one 365 and a slew of 179s thrown at dudes in that exact situation.

Look at what you said, all of those dudes are hot for 365's because of their STRD.

Completing command: probably a dude with an STRD of 13-15yrs ago, that's assuming at least 2yrs worth of overseas TDY's/deployments. If he was prior enlisted then he's lucky he made it that far. While in command he probably had a DAV code. When his command ended they took it off, unless he was frocked or headed to school. Either way, if he made O-6 he wouldn't gotten a wonderful OG/CC 365 anyways, cause the price of O-6 nowadays...but I digress.

Within 1.5 years of retirement: you're fücked here cause your STRD is definitely 16.5yrs ago (again with the assumption of overseas TDY's/deployments I mentioned). These are the dudes most likely to get it.

This is only for 365's, for the 179's those are 100% at the discretion of the commander. So they can choose who they give it to. For a dude 1.5yrs from retirement, it's probably best to take a 179 cause you can take it and get back within your window that you can't be tasked with a 365 and then just drop papers.

But again, it depends on requirements. For awhile I knew a lot of O-3's who had the safety and IP boxes checked, and those were the requirements to teach pilot training at somewhere even shittier and sandier than Laughlin. And almost every prior E got tagged because their STRD is even farther back because of their date of enlistment.

I hear it's worse for 11Fs cause you go to Korea and all that other stuff as a PCS, which doesn't count towards changing your STRD. Which is why an 11F, O-5 with that background will almost always get tagged unless they can get the coveted DAV code.

I'm not pressing the I believe big blue button, cause I know the AF is full of lies, deception, and bull shit. This is all straight from the assignments officer who was in charge of 365's and the previous functional who did it 5yrs ago. Sure the 2nd guy's info is out of date, but the other dude said all of this but a few months ago. So take it for what it's worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 365 and at least two 179s (I know, they are handled differently) went to guys less than 5 years removed from Korea. It's just a fact - AFPC and commanders shack people that they can.

Korea does reset our STRD.

ETA: buddy of mine is finishing up his command tour. The functional contacted him to see what he would do if hit with a particular 365. His answer was that he'd 7-day opt. Several of his peers said the same. Eventually someone was enticed with a good deal in the backside and "volunteered" for it. Interesting change from the porch - are they realizing they can't keep bleeding several bodies to fill one BS tasker? Or are they treating him differently as a graduated CC? He dodged one bullet but is ready to punch and finish up in the guard if need be.

Edited by ViperStud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A normal remote PCS (like Korea) is different than the 365s. They can't by name shack you for a Korea if you 7-day. They legally have to run a non-vol list that ranks everyone vulnerable for and qualified for that assignment based on STRD.

But if the wing gets tasked with a 179 to the Died, I'm sure a guy who just 7-day'd with 1.5 years left is going to be relatively high on the wing's list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2015 at 7:34 PM, Napoleon_Tanerite said:

I'm planning on going down this road, but want to make sure I understand it properly. I have an ADSC that is up in Apr 2018. If they try to tag me with an assignment that has a RNLTD of Apr 2106 or later I can opt due to the two year PCS ADSC that would take me beyond my existing ADSC?

I’ve heard conflicting info, and just wanted to make sure this explanation is correct in how the 7-day opt works?

In other words, is the ability to 7-day opt based upon the date when the orders have you RNLT to said base (inside the 2 year window), or is it based upon the date when the official notification hits your in-container?

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WheelsOff said:

I’ve heard conflicting info, and just wanted to make sure this explanation is correct in how the 7-day opt works?

In other words, is the ability to 7-day opt based upon the date when the orders have you RNLT to said base (inside the 2 year window), or is it based upon the date when the official notification hits your in-container?

Thanks. 

It is indeed RNLTD.  My story concluded with me getting an assignment with a June '16 RNLTD, I dropped the 7 day option, enjoyed the good life for a year, caught a non-flying "gee i can't understand why all the pilots are leaving" 6 month going away tour in CENTCOM, and now I'm a free man.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Napoleon_Tanerite said:

It is indeed RNLTD.  My story concluded with me getting an assignment with a June '16 RNLTD, I dropped the 7 day option, enjoyed the good life for a year, caught a non-flying "gee i can't understand why all the pilots are leaving" 6 month going away tour in CENTCOM, and now I'm a free man.

Solid. Were you at least able to come back from said 179 and still get some currency in the jet before departing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2015 at 12:44 PM, Herkasaurus said:

Look at what you said, all of those dudes are hot for 365's because of their STRD.

 

Completing command: probably a dude with an STRD of 13-15yrs ago, that's assuming at least 2yrs worth of overseas TDY's/deployments. If he was prior enlisted then he's lucky he made it that far. While in command he probably had a DAV code. When his command ended they took it off, unless he was frocked or headed to school. Either way, if he made O-6 he wouldn't gotten a wonderful OG/CC 365 anyways, cause the price of O-6 nowadays...but I digress.

 

Within 1.5 years of retirement: you're fücked here cause your STRD is definitely 16.5yrs ago (again with the assumption of overseas TDY's/deployments I mentioned). These are the dudes most likely to get it.

 

This is only for 365's, for the 179's those are 100% at the discretion of the commander. So they can choose who they give it to. For a dude 1.5yrs from retirement, it's probably best to take a 179 cause you can take it and get back within your window that you can't be tasked with a 365 and then just drop papers.

 

But again, it depends on requirements. For awhile I knew a lot of O-3's who had the safety and IP boxes checked, and those were the requirements to teach pilot training at somewhere even shittier and sandier than Laughlin. And almost every prior E got tagged because their STRD is even farther back because of their date of enlistment.

 

I hear it's worse for 11Fs cause you go to Korea and all that other stuff as a PCS, which doesn't count towards changing your STRD. Which is why an 11F, O-5 with that background will almost always get tagged unless they can get the coveted DAV code.

 

I'm not pressing the I believe big blue button, cause I know the AF is full of lies, deception, and bull shit. This is all straight from the assignments officer who was in charge of 365's and the previous functional who did it 5yrs ago. Sure the 2nd guy's info is out of date, but the other dude said all of this but a few months ago. So take it for what it's worth.

Did your functional say anything about deploying for 45 days continuously putting you at the bottom of the 365 list for five years? That's what we're hearing from our side now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WheelsOff said:

Solid. Were you at least able to come back from said 179 and still get some currency in the jet before departing?

Ya, I had about 3 months left, so I flew my ass off and banked about 100hrs.  It was actually the good life-- I only showed up to work when I was on the flying schedule, what were they going to do?  Fire me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I owe exactly 2 years, 1 month, and 25 days for my remaining UPT ADSC. I'm an RPA re-cat who has been literally trying anything and everything to return to fly any manned airframe. I'm planning to let my SQ/CC know that I planned to palace chase and seek a flying Guard/Reserve unit, but that I'd be willing to remain on active duty if they are willing to use me in AMC flying any airframe. 

I've got no idea how my boss will react (hes been supportive so far), but my real question is how nefarious is AFPC? I'm on the 2019 summer VML right now (May 19 timeframe), but the one big threat I see is AFPC PCS'ing me back to an RPA ops assignment or staff job (FTU dude right now) with orders like a week or two before I can 7-day opt. Is this a feasible threat, or is there an AFI somewhere that defines the minimum amount of time from orders dropping to PCS'ing? 

I'd prefer to have the discussion sooner than later, but the "avoid" option is there for a few weeks until I can kill any orders with a 7-day option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So I owe exactly 2 years, 1 month, and 25 days for my remaining UPT ADSC. I'm an RPA re-cat who has been literally trying anything and everything to return to fly any manned airframe. I'm planning to let my SQ/CC know that I planned to palace chase and seek a flying Guard/Reserve unit, but that I'd be willing to remain on active duty if they are willing to use me in AMC flying any airframe. 
I've got no idea how my boss will react (hes been supportive so far), but my real question is how nefarious is AFPC? I'm on the 2019 summer VML right now (May 19 timeframe), but the one big threat I see is AFPC PCS'ing me back to an RPA ops assignment or staff job (FTU dude right now) with orders like a week or two before I can 7-day opt. Is this a feasible threat, or is there an AFI somewhere that defines the minimum amount of time from orders dropping to PCS'ing? 
I'd prefer to have the discussion sooner than later, but the "avoid" option is there for a few weeks until I can kill any orders with a 7-day option.


If I understand the 7-day option, you can opt when/if you owe less than 2 years at the time of PCS not at the time you receive your RIP. That is when the 2 year ADSC would take effect.

You should be good with your current timeline and a PCS assignment for next summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard that once you Seven Day opt you have set a separation date and you can no longer Palace Chase.  Is this true ? With the new ADSC rules in place it will be interesting to see how the Big AF handles these.  If someone have 2 years and 5 months left and opts out will they leave them in place or move them without extending to 3 years.  I think this summer VML will be the test group for it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ryder said:

I have heard that once you Seven Day opt you have set a separation date and you can no longer Palace Chase.  Is this true ? With the new ADSC rules in place it will be interesting to see how the Big AF handles these.  If someone have 2 years and 5 months left and opts out will they leave them in place or move them without extending to 3 years.  I think this summer VML will be the test group for it.  

They've moved people back to our FTU after they refused to take the additional ADSC for a PCS.  So, my guess is that if they need you somewhere, they'll take a year and a half of someone filling the position over zero time of someone filling the position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 7-day clock starts from assignment NOTIFICATION. not orders, or rips. Technically they don’t even have to tell you to notify you. 

The Adsc stuff would be from PCS date of report (if I recall Correctly). 

 

If a 3- or 7- day opt is even a remote possibility you need to get smart on the separations and assignments AFIs now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pawnman said:

They've moved people back to our FTU after they refused to take the additional ADSC for a PCS.  So, my guess is that if they need you somewhere, they'll take a year and a half of someone filling the position over zero time of someone filling the position.

I can totally see this occurring. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big question is the status of your community needs vs your quals.

If you 7 day opt a PCS the USAF will most likely keep you at your base where you’ll serve at the “needs” of your community, or PCS you and waive the ADSC if they need you bad enough at that base.

I’ll be real curious next VML to the non-current people who have to choose between the new 3 yr requal adsc and 7 day opting.

Will they be re qual’d and ADSC waived or sent to a 2yr ALO gig in El Paso if they 7 day opt to avoid the ADSC.




Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience was:

  • You cannot 7-day opt if you have greater than 2 years ADSC on the RNLTD to your new assignment, you don't even have the option if you have > 2 years retainability
  • Once you have a separation date set as a result of executing a 7 day opt, you cannot Palace Chase. You can however Palace Front if you plan on going to the Guard which will help assure as seamless transfer and no breaks in service (worked for me)
    • You're also not eligible for things like VSP, which I unfortunately missed out on since I already had a separation date set; not applicable right now but recorded for posterity
  • The clock does start on notification. I was notified by an AFPC email while deployed approx. 4 months prior to my RNLTD and had 7 days from that time to decide
  • Big Blue can absolutely send you anyways - I was sent on my assignment with 11.69 months of retainability, i.e. far short of the "normal" 24-month minimum for a PCS
    • That being said, I think most people end up remaining in place and serving as required at their current duty station, at least that's what happened to some other folks who 7 day opt'd the same assignment I eventually had to go on
  • Definitely get smart on the appropriate regs, and if you can, gain the support of your SQ/CC and functional manager for your desired COA

May the odds ever be in your favor!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NS, I assume you are talking about the PCS ADSC.

What if they send you to a TX that extends you well past your bonus ADSC or retirement eligibility date. You can 7 day opt correct, set your date of separation as the end of your current ADSC and then, it is up to the USAF what to do with you.

I don’t think they can force you to accept a longer ADSC.


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They can’t force you to accept a longer Adsc. 

 

But it they can waive the Adsc and do what the originally wanted anyway

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nsplayr said:

My experience was:

  • You cannot 7-day opt if you have greater than 2 years ADSC on the RNLTD to your new assignment, you don't even have the option if you have > 2 years retainability
  • Once you have a separation date set as a result of executing a 7 day opt, you cannot Palace Chase. You can however Palace Front if you plan on going to the Guard which will help assure as seamless transfer and no breaks in service (worked for me).

Dam....wasn't tracking that 7-day opting prevents a Palace Chase. That's definitely a factor in my calculus. Guard is the preferred option, but my personal situation dictates that I can't really be very picky about taking a job (Reserve vs Guard). 

My real question was is it likely that AFPC pulls some BS and fast tracks orders for a PCS departure date in the next 55 days to prevent me having a 7-day option even though I'm on the summer VML. I'm tracking the needs of the Air Force stuff that they could send me. I don't think its likely they send me to staff against my will, and a PCS would be expensive and they would lose probably 2-3 months before I finish MQT on top of me trying to get out 6 months early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They can absolutely waive less than 2 years. And likely will. Back in the day I saw people fall into that being forcibly moved to holloman with less than 2. Only to serve another 6 months and punch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GoodSplash9 said:

Dam....wasn't tracking that 7-day opting prevents a Palace Chase. That's definitely a factor in my calculus. Guard is the preferred option, but my personal situation dictates that I can't really be very picky about taking a job (Reserve vs Guard). 

My real question was is it likely that AFPC pulls some BS and fast tracks orders for a PCS departure date in the next 55 days to prevent me having a 7-day option even though I'm on the summer VML. I'm tracking the needs of the Air Force stuff that they could send me. I don't think its likely they send me to staff against my will, and a PCS would be expensive and they would lose probably 2-3 months before I finish MQT on top of me trying to get out 6 months early. 

When is the summer notification window? There are still people from the Winter window waiting for assignments, I highly doubt  AFPC can pull its head out of its ass in the next 55 days to give you the blue anal dildo. 

Edited by viper154

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×