Berkeley faces off against USMC

pawnman

From the AP.

I think it is time the feds started pulling out their funding for that place. Cut federal highway funding to the state and punish the whole for the actions of a few. Ya know like the AF has been known to do. You jack up the highways in CA and the whole damn state will grind to a halt.

The Associated Press

Posted : Tuesday Feb 5, 2008 11:37:13 EST

BERKELEY, Calif. — Two Berkeley City Council members want the city to rescind a declaration that says the Marine recruiting center is not welcome in Berkeley.

Council members Betty Olds and Lauri Capitelli have proposed backing off the anti-Marines declaration and publicly declaring that Berkeley opposes the war in Iraq but supports the troops.

The controversy erupted last week after the City Council passed an item condemning the Marines’ downtown recruiting center. The declaration angered right-wing groups and prompted a Republican senator to try to cut off federal funding for Berkeley.

The City Council will vote on the new proposals next week.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MizzNav

Bulldog,

I wasn't saying al liberals are idots, but many of them are. I said keep the programs for the poor, just take away municpal/infastructure funds. I know all people freak when thier money is taken away, i was trying to say they will definately freak out but also look retarded if they don't want o let anyone have a chance to participate, then they shouldn't get the benfits of others doing so. Jst like if you mess with laws about driving/drinking, you lose federal highway funds. You should lose funds if you refus to allow people to "supply" themselves to the military.

I am just saying nothing is free, somebody always has top pay for it and even if you don

t think you should, you need to let others have that choice. Standing in front of a recruting office, blocking the door and harassing people who try to go in is not allowing others the choice.

But these are the same people who think getting naked in public and lying in the street makes some kind of statement. They have people living in a tree on berkley's campus because the school wants to remove it to plant other things (like 2-3 times more trees than there are already). These people are freaking idiots. Let them protest till they are blue in the face thats great, i'm just saying those types of people are retards.

Guest ASUcadet
The perfect response. Lets see how long their whining lasts when millions of funding is cut. Some people are just such idiots. I love the standard 1st amendment argument...yeah we have free speech, but there's a line between free speech and acting like a total piece of shit. I wish this was back in the 40s or something when good old fashioned ass kickings were kosher.

Well apparently their free speech is more important than the USMC's free speech. I mean, the Marines have just as much of a right to be there as they do; I love it how hippies think the first amendment is a one-way street.

[start sarcasm] Great job on standing up to The Man. As a result of your efforts people have to drive to the next town to enlist in the Marines and all it cost was educational funding to local school children, government programs that promote health, and funding for the local ferry... but it's not like anyone uses those things anyway... except for maybe the local population who was not involved with this. All hail Councilwoman Spring! [end sarcasm]

I think stuff like this just hurts their cause. Conservatives take liberals less seriously, moderates move toward the conservatives, and liberals just try to make it clear that they have nothing to do with those jackasses, but the damage has already been done.

From the AP.

I think it is time the feds started pulling out their funding for that place. Cut federal highway funding to the state and punish the whole for the actions of a few. Ya know like the AF has been known to do. You jack up the highways in CA and the whole damn state will grind to a halt.

The Associated Press

Posted : Tuesday Feb 5, 2008 11:37:13 EST

BERKELEY, Calif. — Two Berkeley City Council members want the city to rescind a declaration that says the Marine recruiting center is not welcome in Berkeley.

Council members Betty Olds and Lauri Capitelli have proposed backing off the anti-Marines declaration and publicly declaring that Berkeley opposes the war in Iraq but supports the troops.

The controversy erupted last week after the City Council passed an item condemning the Marines’ downtown recruiting center. The declaration angered right-wing groups and prompted a Republican senator to try to cut off federal funding for Berkeley.

The City Council will vote on the new proposals next week.

Kind of expected this to happen. They tried to make their stupid statement and ended up with egg on their face. Now they're trying to reverse it and pretend like it never happened. Not like this is the first time a Bay Area city has made some stupid anti-military statement.

Kind of expected this to happen. They tried to make their stupid statement and ended up with egg on their face. Now they're trying to reverse it and pretend like it never happened. Not like this is the first time a Bay Area city has made some stupid anti-military statement.

So now the vote is 3-6 against the Marines. Think these two are just trying to save their political careers when money stops pouring into the city?

My favorite suggestion for a counter-protest so far: Group of Marines in their dress uniforms, form up in the Code Pink parking lot every Wednesday for the next six month. "You want this parking spot, come and get it!" Maybe some USAF guys nearby could show their support as well.

Yep, standard liberal cop out.

HD

Edited by HerkDerka

Guest Brewdog

Sure support the troops by calling them baby killers. Support the troops by calling their mission futile and saying that the war is lost. Support the troops by voting against every procurement progam, salary & benefit increase. Support the troops by portraying them as stupid, helpless victims of an oppressive right wing government, crying out for help. Then pretend to rush to their defense claiming your long standing concern for their welfare after you have consistently blocked every effort for the military to recruit, train, and develop better technologies. When it's politically expedient, have your picture taken sitting in a tank or shaking hands with somone wearing cammies. Yup, textbook lib military support.

Guess what motivated Berkeley?

DeMint to Berkeley: Support Our Marines or Lose Federal Funds

January 31st, 2008 - Washington, D.C. - Today, U.S. Senator Jim DeMint (R-South Carolina) released the following statement in response to the decision by the City Council of Berkeley, California to evict the U.S. Marine Corps Recruiting Station from the city.

"This is a slap in the face to all brave service men and women and their families. The First Amendment gives the City of Berkeley the right to be idiotic, but from now on they should do it with their own money. If the city can’t show respect for the Marines that have fought, bled and died for their freedom, Berkeley should not be receiving special taxpayer funded handouts. I am currently drafting legislation to ensure that American taxpayers aren’t forced to pay for this insult by rescinding all of the earmarks for Berkeley in the Omnibus Appropriations bill, and to transfer the funds to the Marine Corps."

According to news reports:

The [berkeley] City Council has voted to tell the Marines their downtown recruiting station is not welcome and "if recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and unwelcome guests." The measure passed this week by a vote of 8-1. The council also voted to explore enforcing a city anti-discrimination law, focusing on the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy. In a separate item, the council voted, also 8-1, to give protest group Code Pink a parking space in front of the recruiting office once a week for six months and a free sound permit for protesting once a week.

And more...

Semper Fi, Berkeley

February 6th, 2008 - When you mention "Berkeley, California" to most conservatives, they picture a leftist community of graying hippies, radicals, and protesters. Activities in the last few weeks have only reinforced this image.

The City Council of Berkeley last week voted to ask the U.S. Marine Corps to vacate their recruiting office in town, and that if they chose to stay they did so as "uninvited and unwelcome intruders."

During debate of the resolution, one council member called the Marines "the President's own gangsters" and "trained killers." Another said the Marines had given the country "horrible karma" and said they had a history of "death and destruction." In a document drafted to support the resolution against the Marines, the council stated: "Military recruiters are sales people known to lie to and seduce minors and young adults into contracting themselves into military service with false promises regarding jobs, job training, education and other benefits."

After voting to insult the men and women who fight and bleed for their freedom, the City Council cast another ridiculous vote in favor of giving the radical protest group Code Pink a parking space directly in front of the Marine Corps recruiting station. They also voted to give Code Pink a sound permit for protests in front of the Marine Corps building. The City Council stated in the resolution that they "encourage all people to avoid cooperation with the Marine Corps recruiting station" and to "applaud" Code Pink for working to "impede, passively or actively" the work of the Marines Corps in Berkeley.

Code Pink is a fringe organization that distinguishes itself by attacking American policy, while defending dictator Hugo Chavez. The group is so disrespectful that they have no problems demonstrating in front of wounded soldiers at Walter Reed Medical Center with signs reading "Maimed for a lie."

The council's resolution sparked an escalation of anti-Marine protests. Code Pink organizer Zanne Joy points to the City Council as justification for the escalation. She said that "anything legal is justified if it succeeds in persuading the Marine Corps to move its recruiting station out of Berkeley." According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Code Pink protesters have been heard shouting at young men who are trying to enter the recruiting station, "You guys are just cannon fodder!" and "They want to train you to kill babies!"

It is sad to see a city like Berkeley moving so far left. Thanks to its elected leadership the city in which, as a young naval officer, the legendary World War II Pacific Theater Commander, Fleet Adm. Chester W. Nimitz established the Naval ROTC in the fall of 1926 is now sadly a shell of its former self.

This is disappointing, but in a republican form of government, it must be up to local voters to change their leadership.

However, this particular case became the business of all Americans when they insulted our troops while coming to the federal government asking for special taxpayer-funded handouts. Over $2 million was secretly tucked away for Berkeley earmarks in the 2008 Omnibus Appropriations bill, projects that were never voted on or debated.

I do not believe a city that has turned its back on our country's finest deserves $2 million worth of pork-barrel projects. So, I will introduce legislation to revoke the funding.

Included in the $2 million worth of pork are some particularly wasteful projects.

One earmark provides gourmet organic lunches to schools in the Berkeley School District. While our Marines are making due with MREs of Sloppy Joe and Chili with Beans, the organization Chez Panisse is getting federal tax dollars to design meals that promote "environmental harmony." Chez Panisse's menu features "Comté cheese soufflé with mâche salad," "Meyer lemon éclairs with huckleberry coulis" and "Chicory salad with creamy anchovy vinaigrette and olive toast."

Are we to understand that the city that has been home to many of the country's most rich and famous cannot afford to pay for its own designer school lunches?

Another $975,000 earmark is for the Matsui Center for Politics and Public Service at U.C. Berkeley, which may include cataloging the papers of Congressman Robert Matsui. Is it really necessary to tax the paychecks of Marines so we can earmark nearly $1 million for a school that is already sitting on a $3.5 billion endowment?

Let me be clear, my bill does does not cut off all federal funds to the city of Berkeley, though I am sure most Americans would feel that is justified. My bill merely rescinds wasteful earmarks. Berkeley is free to compete with other towns and cities across America for merit-based federal grants.

Actions have consequences. When the Berkeley City Council decided to insult the Marines in a time of war, it was a $2 million decision. Especially in a time of war, we cannot just allow cities to play insulting games at our troops' expense while continuing to shower them with congressional favors.

And even more...with a few more senators dogpiling on...

Senators Introduce Semper Fi Act of 2008

Bill Stops Berkeley Earmarks and Transfers Funds to Marine Corps

February 6th, 2008 - Washington, D.C. - Today, U.S. Senators Jim DeMint (R-South Carolina), Saxby Chambliss (R-Georgia), Tom Coburn, M.D. (R-Oklahoma), John Cornyn (R-Texas), James Inhofe (R-Oklahoma), and David Vitter (R-Louisiana) introduced the Semper Fi Act of 2008. The bill would rescind over $2 million in hidden earmarks for Berkeley, California in the 2008 Omnibus Appropriations bill, and transfer the funds to the Marine Corps. U.S. Congressman John Campbell (R-California) is introducing a companion bill in the House of Representatives.

Last week, the City Council of Berkeley voted to oust Marine Corps recruiters from their downtown office, saying the Marines were “uninvited and unwelcome intruders.” Berkeley officials also voted to give the radical protest group Code Pink space outside the recruitment office and urged them to “impede, passively or actively” the work of Marine Corps recruiters.

One earmark provides $243,000 in taxpayer dollars for the organization Chez Panisse to create gourmet organic school lunches in the Berkeley School District. Chez Panisse is dedicated to “environmental harmony” and their menu features “Comté cheese soufflé with mâche salad,” “Meyer lemon éclairs with huckleberry coulis,” and “Chicory salad with creamy anchovy vinaigrette and olive toast.”

Another earmark would spend $975,000 in taxpayer dollars for the University of California in Berkeley Matsui Center for Politics and Public Service, to create a new endowment and cataloging the papers of Congressman Robert Matsui. U.C. Berkeley currently already has a $3.5 billion endowment.

Senator DeMint: “Berkeley needs to learn that their actions have consequences. Patriotic American taxpayers won’t sit quietly while Berkeley insults our brave Marines and tries to run them out of town. Berkeley City Council members have shown complete ingratitude to our military and their families, and the city doesn’t deserve a single dime of special pet project handouts.”

Senator Cornyn: “The Berkeley City Council insulted our troops and offended people across the country. If the U.S. Marines are not good enough for Berkeley, neither are taxpayer dollars Congress would have sent there this year. That city closed its doors on the same individuals taking bullets on the front lines while fighting for the safety and freedom of families in Berkeley and throughout America.”

Senator Vitter: “The actions of the City Council of Berkeley are in stark contrast to beliefs of the vast majority of Americans who recognize and honor the service and sacrifice of our U.S. Marines. This is simply unacceptable and those funds could be better utilized by the Marine Corps.”

Dr. Coburn: “The actions by the city of Berkeley are deplorable and insulting to those who are serving and those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice to protect the very freedoms that are being exercised to insult them. I know I stand with the majority of Americans in thanking our service men and women for their selfless service to our nation.”

Senator Inhofe: “Unfortunately, those on the Berkeley city council do not seem to understand the sacrifice of the brave men and women of the United States Marine Corps. By interfering with military recruiting, the city of Berkeley is hampering our ability to protect this nation. While the city of Berkeley and the protestors are free to say whatever they like, free speech is not a protection from consequence.”

Senator Chambliss: “We need to send a strong message that our military personnel deserve our strongest support. Georgia is a proud military state, and my constituents will be out outraged to know that during a time of war, their taxpayers dollars have been used to reward folks who have insulted and disparaged those who defend this nation every day.”

Glad to see someone who thinks like we do...

Cheers! M2

And, from another forum...

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 115--TREASON, SEDITION, AND SUBVERSIVE ACTIVITIES

Sec. 2388. Activities affecting armed forces during war

(a) Whoever, when the United States is at war, willfully makes or

conveys false reports or false statements with intent to interfere with

the operation or success of the military or naval forces of the United

States or to promote the success of its enemies; or

Whoever, when the United States is at war, willfully causes or

attempts to cause insubordination, disloyalty, mutiny, or refusal of

duty, in the military or naval forces of the United States, or willfully

obstructs the recruiting or enlistment service of the United States, to

the injury of the service or the United States, or attempts to do so--

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty

years, or both.(b) If two or more persons conspire to violate subsection (a) of

this section and one or more such persons do any act to effect the

object of the conspiracy, each of the parties to such conspiracy shall

be punished as provided in said subsection (a).

© Whoever harbors or conceals any person who he knows, or has

reasonable grounds to believe or suspect, has committed, or is about to

commit, an offense under this section, shall be fined under this title

or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

(d) This section shall apply within the admiralty and maritime

jurisdiction of the United States, and on the high seas, as well as

within the United States.

This is US Code folks! Some folks need in Berkeley need to be sent to jail!

Cheers! M2

Federally funded comté cheese soufflé, mâche salad, meyer lemon éclairs, huckleberry coulis, chicory salad, creamy anchovy vinaigrette, and olive toast.

Berkeley...EABOD.

HD

You certainly do know a lot about the life and food of those cheese eat'n surrender monkeys...a little TOO much...

Federally funded comté cheese soufflé, mâche salad, meyer lemon éclairs, huckleberry coulis, chicory salad, creamy anchovy vinaigrette, and olive toast.

Berkeley...EABOD.

HD

To think, I had to make do with chicken nuggets and mashed potatoes.

This will make excellent ammo against the guys I've been discussing this with who said "but you can't cut funding for school lunches!".

To think, I had to make do with chicken nuggets and mashed potatoes.

2. What a bunch of spoiled little kids. In the words of one of the LSI guys here, "fuck those little kids!"...they can sack up and eat lunches like the rest of us ate back in the day...Comte cheese souffle my ass.

From Fox News via Toledo

Ohio Mayor to Marines: Training Would 'Frighten People'

Saturday , February 09, 2008

An Ohio mayor had a stern order for a company of Marine Corps Reservists: Get out.

The Toledo Blade reports that Toledo Mayor Carty Finkbeiner ordered the Marines out Friday as their buses were arriving for a three-day training mission in the city, where they have periodically trained since 2004.

The 200 Marines, based in Grand Rapids, Mich., had planned to participate in urban patrol exercises in downtown streets and a vacant building, according to the Blade, which reports that past exercises have included mock gun fights, ambushes and the firing of blank ammunition to simulate urban combat.

Finkbeiner said that would be alarming.

"The mayor asked them to leave because they frighten people," Brian Schwartz, the mayor's spokesman, told the newspaper. "He did not want them practicing and drilling in a highly visible area."

Toledo police knew of the plan days in advance, but Finkbeiner apparently didn't, the Blade reports. The Marines turned around and went home to Grand Rapids.

This isn't the first a city has given Marines the cold shoulder.

The City Council in Berkeley, Calif., voted last week to send a message to Marine recruiters that they weren't welcome in the city because of the military's "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy toward gay servicemen and servicewomen.

Following a public uproar, Mayor Tom Bates issued an apology Wednesday to military personnel for any personal offense taken by the council's actions, according to a report in the San Jose Mercury News.

I think that's a little bit different than the Berkeley deal. I wouldn't want marines running around downtown shooting blanks and practicing urban warfare. Granted, the mayor should've been informed days prior and it could've been handled better... but I can't really blame him on the decision.

Just got this one in the in-box. No proof that it is true, but pretty good, and has a signature block. Letter to the Mayor of Berkley.

Dear Mayor Bates,

In that you and your city have chosen to gravely insult the brave men and women, who have indeed bought you that right with their blood, I am informing you that my company will no longer do business with any of our current suppliers located in the Berkeley, California metro area.

In that my company is in international resort real estate development, and do business with and am associated with, developers and investors worldwide, I am informing all of my contacts, associates and patrons that we will no longer do any business of any sort with anyone living in the Berkeley area.

In that we/MDG Resorts are currently building a state of the art mega-yacht marina, all of the suppliers of Marina equipment, all owners of Yachts , all suppliers of Yacht materials & supplies, all yacht brokers and all tangential yacht business purveyors will likewise be informed that we will not do any business whatsoever with anyone from the Berkeley area.

Likewise all suppliers of building materials, both interior and exterior, currently associated with any of our several resort developments (Brisamar 300+ villas and 200+ condos: Porto Hussong, www.portohussong.com 500+ condos, 180 slip mega-yacht marina) both of which I might add have international recognition by virtue of glowing reports in Robb Report, Wall Street Journal, Yacht World, Forbes.

I will likewise inform all of our investors, most of whom are very wealthy yacht owners, casino owners, high net worth international businessmen, of our decision to essentially boycott all products and providers located in, or associated with in any way whatsoever, Berkeley, Ca.

Trust me when I say that having been in the real estate development business for over 35 years, our list of contacts and associates is long and very, very impressive. We, and I personally, are going to recommend that they ALL along with us boycott your city, its purveyors, suppliers, and businesses and CHARITIES of every kind.

You have every right to choose to take the obnoxious anti-military stance you have taken, and as stated, that right was bought for you with the blood of better men than you.

I too have every right to do all that I can to insure that your city suffers consequences arising from that obnoxious, sickening stance.

Cordially,

Brian G Dennard

Principal

Director

Meridian Development Group, LLC

619 807 2444

www.mdgresorts.com

www.portohussong.com

Guest wildblue
Just got this one in the in-box. No proof that it is true, but pretty good, and has a signature block. Letter to the Mayor of Berkley.

Cordially,

Brian G Dennard

Principal

Director

Meridian Development Group, LLC

619 807 2444

www.mdgresorts.com

www.portohussong.com

Looks pretty legit... guy's bio is on the website.

http://www.mdgresorts.com/about/principals.cfm

I think I'll send him a short thank you message.

Guest MizzNav

Watching this made my blood fvcking boil. They believe in free speech...... only if it is thier speech.

Some video if the code pink sandy vaginas keeping people from entering the berkley marine recruiting station:

http://patdollard.com/2008/02/vid-cops-do-...ge-on-freedoms/

wish someone would just slaughter all of these people, thye do not even deserve to breathe the same air as the rest of America. Fvcking Cvnts.

Watching this made my blood fvcking boil. They believe in free speech...... only if it is thier speech.

Some video if the code pink sandy vaginas keeping people from entering the berkley marine recruiting station:

http://patdollard.com/2008/02/vid-cops-do-...ge-on-freedoms/

wish someone would just slaughter all of these people, thye do not even deserve to breathe the same air as the rest of America. Fvcking Cvnts.

Looks like a fun place to brawl with friends...

3_61_marine4_320.jpg

Feb. 12: Sherry Perussina, left, argues with anti-war protester Anna Powelson, 15, outside Berkeley City Hall.

Is it me, or do most of these anti-war/anti-military protestors always come in one of two flavors? Under 18 and don't know shit, or 60+ and want to live the good ol' Vietnam days and still don't know shit?

Looks like a fun place to brawl with friends...

I'm in, let me know when we're going! Looks like it'd be a fun--albeit easy--time kicking ass! :rock: And no fear of the police intervening, as they prefer to "stay neutral." Christ, even the Berkeley cops are pussies!

If they tried that shit in Texas, we'd be allowed to shoot the stupid fuckers. God Bless Texas! :thumbsup:

Cheers! M2