Pilots who don't drink

Duck

I have heard that a lot of Air Force pilot communities have a lot of social drinking occasions. In light of this, what happens when an officer or anyone for that matter doesn't drink for religious or other personal reasons?

Thanks!

Guest egovolo
I have heard that a lot of Air Force pilot communities have a lot of social drinking occasions. In light of this, what happens when an officer or anyone for that matter doesn't drink for religious or other personal reasons?

Thanks!

DD

Guest JorryFright21

Thanks!

Nothing. Period, dot. Anyone who tells you otherwise is ignorant.

I think it's mostly about having something to do on off days to get your mind off UPT/work and unwind. For one guy that might mean getting wasted, but for someone else it might be playing xbox or reading books or whatever. Not drinking shouldn't cause you any problems. The important thing, in UPT especially, is to give yourself a break once in a while.

• Like 1

No one cares. But, don't say you don't drink due to religious reasons, but then one day get caught having a beer (b/c you like to have a beer once in a while, but don't like getting tanked...therefore you thought "religious reasons" would be an easy out). If that's the actual case, then be honest and don't bullshit the religious thing. But, if it really is religious, no one will care and everyone will respect your decision.

You shouldn't experience any discrimination/ostracization...however, I would recommend still going to the club with your bros on the Friday afternoons at UPT...order up a soda or whatever, but that was a great time for talking about flying and unwinding every week.

However, after having unwound, nothing says you have to follow the crowd to Scooters (or whatever redneck bar your UPT base patronizes).

Edited by PirateAF
  • Like 1

Guest PilotKD

I'm not a big drinker and still had fun during UPT. It's actually pretty entertaining to be DD and watch everyone else get tanked. You see some real funny stuff and besides, it's important for there to be someone to keep your bros out of trouble. Too many people get themselves in trouble with stupid $hit at UPT and 99% of the time, it involves alcohol.

No one cares if you drink or not. They care if you use it as a reason to never hang out.

Shack. We had a mormon in my last squadron - dude never missed a roll call and was always willing to DD for us when we went out to the bars. During an ORI, he was climbing out of the cockpit with with full gear (mask on, visor down) and no ladder. He slipped, fell and broke his ankle. In an effort to circumvent getting the "Bone" at roll call for worst buffoonery, he hobbled up on his crutches and gave a peace offering to the bar of a handle of Jack Daniels and basically dimed himself out. Received large applause and no mention if his buffoonery was made.

Shack. We had a mormon in my last squadron - dude never missed a roll call and was always willing to DD for us when we went out to the bars. During an ORI, he was climbing out of the cockpit with with full gear (mask on, visor down) and no ladder. He slipped, fell and broke his ankle. In an effort to circumvent getting the "Bone" at roll call for worst buffoonery, he hobbled up on his crutches and gave a peace offering to the bar of a handle of Jack Daniels and basically dimed himself out. Received large applause and no mention if his buffoonery was made.

Excellent. Class act.

THE most popular dude in my UPT class was the one who didn't drink, but loved to womanize--perfect DD every Fri/Sat night. Not only were you guaranteed a ride home, he would provide free wave-offs if your beer goggles impaired your vision. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hijack but since the Wingman was brought up I've got to post this:

I don't consider that hijacking, that was hilarious.

Guest 89 Ride

If you don't drink, it's no big deal. We'll just make you do shots of Maple Syrup when you show up late for roll call. Just don't be one of those ass clowns that looks down their nose at those that choose to knock back a few cold ones on Friday afternoon. Most non-drinkers I've seen get along fine with us alkies.