Pilot/graduation gifts

CHS17

Guest Rainman A-10

Buy him a gun. The perfect gift for any man. Seriously, buy him a gun.

What is he going to fly?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy him a gun. The perfect gift for any man. Seriously, buy him a gun.

What is he going to fly?

"2" - Buy him a gun. This was definitely the most appreciated gift my husband received.

If he hunts, get him a lifetime hunting and/or fishing license in your home state. That way he can always go back for a hunting trip even if you change your residence to another state while you are moving around.

If you search, there are old threads with other ideas (practical stuff) that you can give to his parents and other family members.

Definitely a gun. To be honest, I could care less about an "aviation" watch or something similar. I have a very nice citizen eco-drive and have no desire for anything further. Some guys do, to each their own. Now getting a Browning lever action to add to my collection, that would be sweet!

I guess I just use my watch more on a daily basis than a personal firearm - silly me!

Then again there was this OG/CC of mine back in the day that flew with his own personal pearl-handled firearm (caveat - he was a Navigator). He also mistook himself for George S. Patton...

Guest misfitz

My husband got the Citizen watch and the "cheesy" plaque thing, both of which he really wanted, so he was very excited. :)

Guest Rainman A-10

My daughter got me a watch for Father's Day 15 years ago when she was little. I still wear it. Watches are good.

Guest NDwife
Thanks for all the ideas. I guess at this point I just need to find an idea for his parents and I'll look at past threads.

My husband's parents bought him plane models of the two planes he flew in pilot training, the T-34 and the T-1. A really nice touch was the model bases included his squadron patches from the respective flight classes. My husband loved the gift.

I bought him a watch, he liked that and uses it on a daily basis. We also bought the "cheesy" plaque, not so much as a gift but as something nice to have.

Good Luck.

Guest Ritalin IV

What about Silver/Platinum wings? I think I saw a pair in my travels to Luke or DM. They are set in this velvet case and are, IMHO, sharper than the chrome ones you find on the back of the wall in clothing sales. And given as a gift from the folks, could be pretty cool (not as cool as a gun though). Hell, maybe one day he will pass them on down the line…

-Ritalin

Guest Lambo84

If you're gonna get him a watch, which is the perfect gift, you gotta do it right. Get him a breitling watch, none of that citizen trash.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jojo61397
My husband's parents bought him plane models of the two planes he flew in pilot training, the T-34 and the T-1. A really nice touch was the model bases included his squadron patches from the respective flight classes. My husband loved the gift.

I bought him a watch, he liked that and uses it on a daily basis. We also bought the "cheesy" plaque, not so much as a gift but as something nice to have.

Good Luck.

Just be careful of those planes-- I bought two for my husband and they broke in a PCS to Germany. I third the watch idea, my husband actually likes the Ironman watches.

Guest ukwxbelle
What about Silver/Platinum wings? I think I saw a pair in my travels to Luke or DM. They are set in this velvet case and are, IMHO, sharper than the chrome ones you find on the back of the wall in clothing sales. And given as a gift from the folks, could be pretty cool (not as cool as a gun though). Hell, maybe one day he will pass them on down the line…

-Ritalin

I found some really nice wings of this type at a local military collectors show for around $60-$130. The price depends on the sterling and/or maker's mark. I can't keep a secret, I told my husband I got them for him. He's very excited about them. But he's not even attending until next summer, let alone graduating until '09- so he really has to "earn" his wings!

• 1 month later...
A pilot is always interested in a watch (this has come up in numerous threads).

I recommend several:

Citizen Eco-drive Skyhawk - $200-300, aviation watch

Any Seiko Kinetic watch - $200-400

Casio Pathfinder 1200 - $200-300, multifunction watch with compass, altimeter, thermometer, etc.

A watch is something he will surely use in his flying (and non-flying) career.

I LOVE my Skyhawk! The wife got mine when I got selected for OTS, and I don't know how I ever wore anything else.

Along with the "cheesy shadowbox", we've got a place here that will do a three-picture collage in a frame. You get an 8X10 of your airframe, and underneath are two 3X5's of your training A/C (round these parts, that's a T-6 and a T-39).

• 3 years later...

Anyone know where good shadow boxes for graduation are still sold? I've heard many classes used aeroriginals, but sadly looks like they are out of business now.

Try the base arts and crafts shop, that's where we got ours. I think it was around $50-75 each.

I bought a nice ring from Sophinas Design Jewelers. It's a 18kt gold ring made exactly like the Air Force wings. I think the site is www.sophinas.com

CK

Out of all the gifts I've been given related to aviation, I always thought the watch I got from my folks and the knife "from" my wife were the best. The watch is a Casio Pathfinder that includes an altimeter and compass (was quite useful in SERE and when we had pressurization problems in the B-52). The knife is a benchmade switchblade (these are not illegal for military personnel, but they are illegal for civilians to purchase...might need help from a military neighbor for this gift); it has been EXTREMELY useful no matter where I am in my career.

If you are looking for stocking stuffers, I'd recommend a gerber multitool.

Models are nice, but after 6 moves in 7 years, mine are also pretty beat up. Save those kinds of things for retirement gifts, IMHO.

If you are going to get a truck and your hubby is in the F-15/going to the F-15, why not get a Ford F-150 and remove the last zero...making it a Ford F-15? (not an original idea, but it's still humorous...)

In terms of watches, I bought the Casio Pathfinder for myself about halfway through UPT and I love it. It's got a bunch of great features that I hardly use on a day-to-day basis, but when I do need them, they're get. It's a rather large watch, but for all of the different features that it has, I think that it's worth it.

• 7 months later...

Graduated from UPT last November, and both of my flights had the awards for the stud who did the stupidest thing for the week(joker award, bonehead of the week, etc...). They had to carry something ridiculous around in the squadron, and they usually had a couple of extra duties for the week. My FTU class is planning on doing the same thing pretty much for our squadron gift, but we're going to be providing a live bird for the squadron mascot.

Our plan(if they actually accept the bird) is for the award winner to have to feed the bird, clean its cage, and take it home with them for the week. I don't really remember any of the ROEs from UPT, so I'm looking for any help in writing them. Is it typically only for LTs, or should I leave it open for all ranks in case someone does something pretty stupid? If anyone has an example, a picture, or advice/input to help me write our ROEs, I'd be super appreciative. :beer:

Graduated from UPT last November, and both of my flights had the awards for the stud who did the stupidest thing for the week(joker award, bonehead of the week, etc...). They had to carry something ridiculous around in the squadron, and they usually had a couple of extra duties for the week. My FTU class is planning on doing the same thing pretty much for our squadron gift, but we're going to be providing a live bird for the squadron mascot.

Our plan(if they actually accept the bird) is for the award winner to have to feed the bird, clean its cage, and take it home with them for the week. I don't really remember any of the ROEs from UPT, so I'm looking for any help in writing them. Is it typically only for LTs, or should I leave it open for all ranks in case someone does something pretty stupid? If anyone has an example, a picture, or advice/input to help me write our ROEs, I'd be super appreciative. :beer:

I think you're pretty much guaranteed to win based on the "something pretty stupid" category...nice first post. :banghead:

A bird for the squadron? WTF. I'm not saying it's a bad idea to make the "dumbest move" dude have to wear something, keep something embarrassing with them while in the squadron through the duration of the "award", fly with a specific callsign, etc. But seriously, a bird is just retarded and pretty sure everyone would shoot that idea down in a second. No way in hell some damn bird is coming into my house.

Is it typically only for LTs, or should I leave it open for all ranks in case someone does something pretty stupid? If anyone has an example, a picture, or advice/input to help me write our ROEs, I'd be super appreciative. :beer:

First off, it's ROE, not ROEs.

Second, there really aren't any ROE - you do something dumb, you're fair game for having the story told. Remember that only 10% truth is required.

Next, it should be open to all ranks. I've done this in operational and training squadrons and everybody is fair game - to include Sq/CCs. In the FTU, there's a much greater chance of the students getting tagged with it because (a) they're students and have a higher chance of doing something stupid, (b) the mayor is an instructor and has the final say in who receives it.

While a bird seems like an original idea, I would say make it something they have to carry with them at all times (if you want to stick with the bird theme, make it a stuffed bird - like a no-shit bird stuffed by a taxidermist). We used a 2-3 foot rawhide bone that guys had to jeep with them. If you lost it (or allowed somebody to steal it), further beatings would ensue.