Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

So is the 2006 year group also having their board delayed by a year? Or is it meeting the same time as the 2005 year group? I'm in the 04 year group so just asking to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As of now, the December 2014 Majors board is only 2005 year group (reference: CY14 Officer Promotion Board Eligibility Spreadsheet). The 2006 and all subsequent year groups will probably be pushed a year as well; so the standard for the LAF-Majors board will now be YG+9 years versus the previous YG+8 years.

Edited by eb287

I just saw this today, too. Is that confirmed to be the Maj board for '05 guys? I guess the good news is a shorter wait to pin on. Bad news for those of us who are already hot for a 365.

What makes you believe that the officer promotion section of AFPC coordinates with the AEF-tasking section?

Sorry I wasn't clear. The 365 taskings I'm concerned with are tasked by rank and crew qual. Get promoted....get off the list.

The board delay should only delay the actual pin-on by a few months. If the board were held next month as originally planned, guys would get results in late March, then wait until probably Feb-Mar 2015 to start pin ons (for the early line numbers). Now the board will be in December 14, with results in late March 15 but pin ons probably starting in April-May 2015. End result will hopefully be only a 2-3 month delay in pin on.

However, to your point - if your AFPC team assigns you based on your projected rank that is almost an extra year of not being a projected major.

zb

Anyone in the know heard if the increments for '04 year group promotions to Maj will be as slow as the previous year group?

I would think that to be a pretty safe assumption, considering they slipped the 05 board by a full year. I would plan on around 100ish/month beginning 1Jan.

However, I am by no means "in the know" so your guess is as good as mine!

The board delay should only delay the actual pin-on by a few months. If the board were held next month as originally planned, guys would get results in late March, then wait until probably Feb-Mar 2015 to start pin ons (for the early line numbers). Now the board will be in December 14, with results in late March 15 but pin ons probably starting in April-May 2015. End result will hopefully be only a 2-3 month delay in pin on.

However, to your point - if your AFPC team assigns you based on your projected rank that is almost an extra year of not being a projected major.

zb

Under DOPMA the number of FGOs is held to a tight tolerance. I doubt that they will stop promotions for 2-3 months.

http://www.economist.com/news/business/21589866-firms-keep-grading-their-staff-ruthlessly-may-not-get-best-them-ranked-and-yanked

This sounds familiar: "Ranking and yanking is more logical in investment banks, law and accountancy firms and big consultancies: their business model is, in a sense, built on recruiting large numbers of junior staff and motivating them with the prospect of becoming a partner, even though in practice only a few of them can ever make it."

And even more familiar: "If a large proportion of the workforce doubt the fairness of the grading system, and fear being among an arbitrarily imposed quota of underperformers, many may try to jump before they are pushed: staff turnover may thus be higher than is desirable. Worse, employees may look for ways to game the system, as happened at Enron, where workers conspired to inflate their results to secure their bonuses or escape the axe."

Edited by Fly
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I talked to a civilian in the AFPC promotions office a few months ago and she said the increment list would come out in November. She also told me the list was going to go from Jan 2014 til summer 2015.

Yep... Less than 150/month.

Increments for those in the '04 year group are out on Mypers... 123/month it is.

I talked to a civilian in the AFPC promotions office a few months ago and she said the increment list would come out in November. She also told me the list was going to go from Jan 2014 til summer 2015.

So it won't wrap up in December? That will push back the '05 guys just like they said it wouldn't.

Grats on the 123/month. At least it isn't 113 I guess.

Looks like the first increment (Jan '14) for the '99 guys pinning on O-5 is 85. If they keep to this rate, the last increment won't promote until April '15.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this on af.mil:

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/467802/af-to-mandate-organizational-command-climate-on-evaluation-feedback-forms.aspx

Does this mean what I think it means? We'll be seeing updated EPR/OPR forms in a few weeks? Mandatory bullets about "healthy organizational climate"

The Air Force will reinforce its performance evaluation system by requiring evaluators to assess what Airmen did to ensure a healthy organizational climate.

Policy modifications, performance feedback, and officer and enlisted evaluation form changes will be implemented Jan. 1.

This increased focus is part of the overall Air Force effort to accentuate the emphasis on sexual assault prevention and response but encompasses a great deal more, according to Lt. Gen. Sam Cox, the deputy chief of staff for Manpower, Personnel and Services.

..... “This modification to policy now reinforces our responsibilities for organizational climate, ensures it is discussed during feedback and mandates its consideration on every Airman’s evaluation.

To assist evaluators, the evaluation and feedback forms will be amended to list organizational climate as a gradable factor for consideration and discussion, the general said.

“This is extremely important as we place additional emphasis on this topic and truly change how culture is perceived in the Air Force,” Cox said.

Saw this on af.mil:

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/467802/af-to-mandate-organizational-command-climate-on-evaluation-feedback-forms.aspx

Does this mean what I think it means? We'll be seeing updated EPR/OPR forms in a few weeks? Mandatory bullets about "healthy organizational climate"

Only convicted of 2 co-worker rapings in FY13 -- 200% decrease over last FY!!! On pace for zero rapes by FY15. Brought 4 sq spouse vacation swimwear pictures to IG attention. Pictures shredded, then burned -- disaster averted. IDE now, promote soonest.

• Upvote 7

I doubt there will be any need for a bullet, unless it's on your referral EPR/OPR; there will simply be another box added to the back of the form to accompany "professional qualities" and "communication skills".

You know, clearly it's very difficult for a leader to "grade" one for their contributions (or lack there of) to a "healthy organizational climate" using tools like "professional qualities".

All we need to do is add an actual "healthy organizational climate" check box and we'll surely nip this sexual assault and racism crap right in the va-jay-jay.

We're adding it to the OPR/EPR to ensure it's discussed during feedback? A drunk monkey (and on the good stuff too) throwing darts at a barn door...isn't there literally a feedback form they could update? The "professional qualities" checkbox is already there. Sure someone else came up with this stuff, but a three-star general signed off on it?

Sometimes...I think the AF is just totally fucked. There isn't any amount of force shaping or RIF'ing that is going to fix it (unless they force shape me...that would solve it (for me)).

P.S. Mark, I'm going to steal that bullet for my RRF (which I am going to start working on in lieu of my primary duties).

Bendy

Welp, that explains Welsh's weird-ass "dignity and respect" email from earlier this week.

Glad I'm not the only one who said wtf when I got that email. I thought our primary mission was sex assault prevention. Turns out it's actually dignity and respect or something. I'll try harder to figure it out after my flight...

• Upvote 2

For anyone in the know:

Several guys have asked me how line numbers for promotion are determined? I don't have a good answer. I've heard anecdotally that USAFA graduates have lower line numbers to keep their pin-on dates ahead of OTS/ROTC, but I've seen where that is not always the case.

Does the "scoring" from the board play into it at all?

For anyone in the know:

Several guys have asked me how line numbers for promotion are determined? I don't have a good answer. I've heard anecdotally that USAFA graduates have lower line numbers to keep their pin-on dates ahead of OTS/ROTC, but I've seen where that is not always the case.

Does the "scoring" from the board play into it at all?

It does not. Promotion sequence is based solely on date of rank. If two people have the same date of rank, they follow the criteria listed in AFI 36-2501 para 3.7. In order to "game" the system to keep USAFA ahead, ROTC grads of the same year as USAFA grads have their date of rank after USAFA graduates.

The way line numbers usually play out is OTS grads ahead of USAFA promote first. Then there's a big group of USAFA grads that are arranged according to the AFI. Last are all OTS grads after the USAFA graduation mixed with ROTC grads.

Edited by HU&W

Back in the day, an ROTC admissions officer told me that date of rank for ROTC graduates was determined as the midpoint between commissioning and EAD date. One year, a class' DOR was 1 June for everyone, regardless of EAD, and USAFA's was 31 May. That admissions officer was full of shit.

Back in the day, an ROTC admissions officer told me that date of rank for ROTC graduates was determined as the midpoint between commissioning and EAD date. One year, a class' DOR was 1 June for everyone, regardless of EAD, and USAFA's was 31 May. That admissions officer was full of shit.

I commissioned 27 Apr, EAD'd 27 May 07 and USAFA graduated around 30 May. I got to keep my 27 Apr DOR, as well as two other guys because we EAD'd before the USAFA graduation. Everyone else in my ROTC class had midpoint DORs.

Edited by Right Seat Driver