Eagles (F-15C) info

Flare

I was cross-country this weekend with a group of guys, and one of them is an ex C-model guy. We were discussing the merits of that plane and he told me that within a year the c models will start incorporating an air-to-ground role into their profile, albeit a very limited role at first while they catch up (presumably to Viper and Strike Eagle guys!). This makes sense (to me at least).....a strictly air-to-air role doesn't have that much use against the enemies we fight today (see the F/A-22), and the Eagle WAS originally designed to be a multi-role fighter (then along came the Viper). Anyone else heard anything else about this?

[ 08. November 2004, 20:56: Message edited by: ENJJPT IP ]

I've heard the same, and the C models guys from the Lakenheath seemed to think it was more than just a rumor. It had them scared enough to corner a couple of us E model guys and start asking about JDAM employment.

Originally posted by Tumbleweed:

By the way the Eagle wasn't originally multi-role like you mentioned.

The F-15A, at least, had capability to select and drop dumb iron, as well as a depressable air-to-ground pipper and even an air-ground mode of the radar to use for ranging. Many early operational Eagle squadrons even had RAP counters for bomb dropping.

Guest PhiPsiViper

I heard that the C model was being considered by the upper brass for air to ground but the project was scrapped. This came from an eagle driver at our career day

• 4 years later...

If you just got C models, you'll probably be at Klamath. Supposedly the last B-course class has started at Tyndall (per a friend's info). Maybe there might be one or two more, but no way you'll be in one of them (if you just dropped them that is). Who knows about wait time, but I bet it'll still be several months.

The last Eagle is scheduled to leave Tyndall by 1 Oct 2010, and some are saying they could be gone by June 2010. With 14 months left, I'm sure they could squeeze another class or two in, but I don't know.

Everybody just slow your roll. I'm an RTU IP here at Tyndall. There is no official timeline, there has been no announcement of when our last class will get here. POM 10 will probably affect us, but we don't know anything yet. Cease rumor mill.

Guest L Unit

If you were leaving anytime soon, looks like Klamath Falls is temporarily relocating to Boise. I'm sure that will throw a further wrench in any current operations.

There is no official timeline, ...

According to the first article, "officially", the timeline is 2013, with a push to move it to 2010.

The second and third article imply it's a bit more of a done deal, based on the Wing CC's email, and the local congressman's reaction.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2009/03/...aining_031309w/

http://gcacnews.blogspot.com/2009/03/tynda...awdown-set.html

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/41272357.html

Guest Vettepilot
According to the first article, "officially", the timeline is 2013, with a push to move it to 2010.

The second and third article imply it's a bit more of a done deal, based on the Wing CC's email, and the local congressman's reaction.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2009/03/...aining_031309w/

http://gcacnews.blogspot.com/2009/03/tynda...awdown-set.html

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/41272357.html

Since we've all seen the media report things incorrectly on numerous occasions in the past, I think I'd take the IPs word on it.

Since we've all seen the media report things incorrectly on numerous occasions in the past, I think I'd take the IPs word on it.

Noted. However it's a bit beyond "rumor control" when the local congressman and the Wing CC comment on it.

And while EvilEagle has certainly been an accurate poster in the past,... and his input is needed on this subject..., your assessment that what is posted on Baseops.net is more accurate than what is in the media certainly isn't backed up by past postings in other areas: let's just look at MC-12, assignment drops, and UAS' to start with, shall we?

Edited by Huggyu2

looks like Klamath Falls is temporarily relocating to Boise. I'm sure that will throw a further wrench in any current operations.

That makes perfect AF sense. Shove a bunch of Eagles on BOI's limited ramp space, thow in airline and GA traffic & limited billeting.

While Mtn Home is another 40 miles up the road with a whole wing of Eagles (C's & E's) and the support infastructure (HUGE ramp, parts, back shops, etc...)

On the other hand, downtown scene after dark in Boise can be pretty good...

Noted. However it's a bit beyond "rumor control" when the local congressman and the Wing CC comment on it.

And while EvilEagle has certainly been an accurate poster in the past,... and his input is needed on this subject..., your assessment that what is posted on Baseops.net is more accurate than what is in the media certainly isn't backed up by past postings in other areas: let's just look at MC-12, assignment drops, and UAS' to start with, shall we?

Well Huggy, since the local congressman and the Wing CC commented on it WELL BEFORE the DoD even proposed the budget that cut 250 more fighters, I'd say they were just rumors at the time, regardless of whose cakehole they emerged from. The results of that budget were a well-kept secret from just about everyone...specifically to avoid congressmen and the like from whining about all the cuts before they were announced.

Tyndall was not BRAC'd, so any loss of squadrons there will purely be tied to how many squadrons close in the CAF. If we keep enough Eagles flying in the CAF, then we need enough FTU capacity to train the pilots and thus need some Tyndall help. One of the options on the table was to keep more Eagle squadrons around if we were in fact going to terminate the F-22 production line. Doesn't seem like that happened, since they announced 250 more fighter cuts, but there is no official info released on who exactly is affected by that 250.

And by the way, all Evil said was that dudes were still getting Tyndall assignments. That a 100% certain fact. Anything else would qualify as pure rumor, and is certifiably false at that.

If the Tyndall Eagle squadrons close, it is not an instant process. It will take a long time to come up with a plan and move people and iron off the ramp. None of that planning is done yet. It would be unreasonable to think that we'd stop training any new dudes at Tyndall right now, when there is still a need for that training capacity all the way up until the point where all of the CAF squadrons close. K-falls cannot cover it by themselves until we get down to the end of the cuts.

This is why I love BaseOps...dude has a question, and it's answered a day later by people who are actually flying the jet and at that location. That sort of access is awesome.

On a side note...either of you guys (Evil, TBone) flying Thursday night? I'll be tanking Tyndall -15s in Florida Alpha around 1130Z.

This is why I love BaseOps...dude has a question, and it's answered a day later by people who are actually flying the jet and at that location. That sort of access is awesome.

On a side note...either of you guys (Evil, TBone) flying Thursday night? I'll be tanking Tyndall -15s in Florida Alpha around 1130Z.

Sorry bro, leaving for Red Flag Alaska tomorrow... :beer::thumbsup:

Huggy,

Yes, the CC sent out an email saying what he is expecting. Then we all got another email that was an "oops, that wasn't supposed to be release, please stop any rumors of this spreading - there IS NO OFFICIAL WORD." So, while we've all seen what the DoD is proposing and we've heard Gates weigh-in - noone will know anything for sure till Congress signs the budget.

So bottom line: there is NOTHING that has been implemented about closing Tyndall (yet). EVERYTHING (yes E V E R Y T H I N G) is rumor/speculation at this point.

Of course, the rumor mill will continue - when real words drop, i'll let you know.

That makes perfect AF sense. Shove a bunch of Eagles on BOI's limited ramp space, thow in airline and GA traffic & limited billeting.

While Mtn Home is another 40 miles up the road with a whole wing of Eagles (C's & E's) and the support infastructure (HUGE ramp, parts, back shops, etc...)

On the other hand, downtown scene after dark in Boise can be pretty good...

Boise rocks.

When I left Mtn Home (Nov) - the plan was to bring K-Falls to MUO. Boise might have gotten them though. The guard ramp at Boise is plenty big enough for one squadron. We diverted an entire go up there when the Germans and the Indians were in town.

Support would be better at MUO, but Boise has more hotels, lots more to do (and 2 runways). I'll see if i can get confirmation.

Will the forthcoming deactivation of the 95th FS (not yet confirmed, but 'likely', according to FUMEZ) mean that the 2nd FS takes over the FTU at Tyndall? Or will all F-15 B-Coursers go to Klamath Falls from then onwards?

I believe 2 FS would close before the 95 based on the original plan.

If both of them close, then all at K-falls