dog tags?

FalconXtreme

Originally posted by JS:

...don't forget to get silencers...

two inches of electrical tape works better than any silencer I've run across.

As far as wearing them, that habit was beaten into me long ago. So much so that I don't bother looking up regs, I just wear them.

I figure it serves it's purpose: they'll be able to more readily identify my remains among all of the other cr...oh, wait, never mind.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Bergman:

You guys are KILLING me! I did a cut and paste from the reg and typed the additional line about "in their little arm pocket" for shits and grins, as I thought it'd be funny if a reg actually used that verbage. Normally the AFIs don't have a sense of humor...other than the occasional use of the word "manhandle", which I find funny for some reason.

You got me. However, I didn't find it too off the wall knowing how nit-noid the C-17 community can be...from what I've heard.

I keep them in the little arm pocket only because I would lose them otherwise. I know a dude that wears them on the outside of his flight suit down the zipper labia so you can see the chain but not the dog tag. many of us have informed him that this practice is in fact homosexual. However, he has not changed that.

Originally posted by KC135GuardDude:

I keep them in the little arm pocket only because I would lose them otherwise. I know a dude that wears them on the outside of his flight suit down the zipper labia so you can see the chain but not the dog tag. many of us have informed him that this practice is in fact homosexual. However, he has not changed that.

I think we all know a dude like that... MRC.

Guest ruckerstud

The practice of wearing ones dog tags like that is actually fairly common in the helo community. There are two reasons why. The first is that we all trained at Ft. Rucker with the Army, where that method of wearing dog tags is actually procedural. The other reason is that for those of us with less than high or tight hair cuts, the chain gets caught in the hairs on the back of the neck, which sucks. I guess most folks never thought to use the arm pocket of the heavy folks.

Originally posted by ruckerstud:

The practice of wearing ones dog tags like that is actually fairly common in the helo community. There are two reasons why. The first is that we all trained at Ft. Rucker with the Army, where that method of wearing dog tags is actually procedural.

Not sure what you are talking about....I've never worn my dogtags that way and I can't remember the last time I saw someone in the helo community wear their tags that way.

It's just easier at mother Rucker to wear them that way so the instructor doesn't have to ask you if you have them.

Originally posted by Squatch:

It's just easier at mother Rucker to wear them that way so the instructor doesn't have to ask you if you have them.

Same at Corpus with the Navy.

Edit: After re-reading through this thread, I am starting to see a loose correlation between those flyers who wear dog tags and whether or not they have an ejection seat available.

[ 27. December 2005, 06:42: Message edited by: PhlashNU04 ]

Originally posted by herk28:

I know they used to footprint everybody at Columbus. And I'm sure anybody who went through CBM at least from 04-01 through 05-15 classes remember exactly WHO footprinted them. Some remember that person a little TOO well.

Haha....a GLOC joke...glad I passed on that bullet lol

GLOC = Guaranteed Loss of Commission

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Grouch

Herks are supposed to wear them, I leave mine in my mac purse. They're only cool in the movies, otherwise they're annoying.

• 1 year later...
Guest tollfree969

I searched and this was the thred with the most posts...

I need to get dog tags to go on a Army Helo ride (ROTC) in a few weeks and I just wanted to make sure I get all of the lines correct. If I'm not mistaken the lines are:

Last Name

First Name, Middle Name

SSN

Blood Type

Religion

Let me know if I am missing anything...

Thanks

I searched and this was the thred with the most posts...

I need to get dog tags to go on a Army Helo ride (ROTC) in a few weeks and I just wanted to make sure I get all of the lines correct. If I'm not mistaken the lines are:

Last Name

First Name, Middle Name

SSN

Blood Type

Religion

Let me know if I am missing anything...

Thanks

First off, its queer that they're making you have them for an orientation ride.

But, it actually goes:

Last name

First name, middle initial

SSN and service

Blood type

Religion

I'm a fresh Herk nav- they harp on the dog tags thing at Randolph and not quite as much at the Rock.

and if you don't know your blood type what do they put, "unk"?

If you don't know your blood type....find out. Useful thing to know.

While it might be gay for the Army to require dog tags, you're missing the point. If you're in the military, all you need to get a ride on an Army helo is dog tags and a uniform. Find an AF non-flyer on your base and just see what amazing sorts of ass pain you'll need to go through to get him/her a flight. And most likely, you won't be able to. Hell, even a pilot attempting to fly on a different MDS on a different base requires OG to OG correspondance. The Army is oddly very relaxed about it, pleasant difference from the AF (note, while I've batted 1000 on my attempts to get E's and Cadets rides I can't swear this is 100% through the entire Army).

I've worn mine since I was issued them in BMT (20 yrs ago this month). I DON'T wear my wall locker key anymore. I'm glad I've moved beyond that.

When we took ours off to fly (rings, rags, and tags), I put mine in my Afrin pocket.

We were all foot-printed at nav school. It was hell getting the ink off.

Sputnik's spot on, we used to catch rides with the Hueys out of Tipton Army Airfield all the time. The crews were always happy to allow us to pin the doors back and they'd drop down low and show us anything "interesting" when they could. Heck, they even offered to land in the middle of nowhere so I could take a leak; but knowing these guys pretty well, I strongly suspected they would have great chuckle as they took off while I was peeing. Luckily, I could tie it in a knot until we landed someplace civilized.

The Chinooks were fun as well, but as they were C models they tended to break a lot, minimizing the "detours" we could take. The Blackhawks in Bosnia were like Cadillacs in comparison...

Cheers! M2

I wish the scarf thing wan't so bad...

I would like one...

Seems cool...

When I choose to get it, and wear it..

It's gonna be cool...

. .

BENDY

...if my body is blown to bits, I hope the military doesn't rely on the dog tag tied to my boot lace to identify the remains.

Herk Derka has wisdom beyond his years.

The military doesn't rely on dog tags to id your remains. You gave up that DNA sample for a reason.