dog tags?

FalconXtreme

Herk Derka has wisdom beyond his years.

The military doesn't rely on dog tags to id your remains. You gave up that DNA sample for a reason.

And foot stamps, and dental records....

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Herk guys I've noticed actually do wear them. I've seen a lot of Navs do the aforementioned under-the-collar-and-into-the-zipper move as well. They must not want it to get in the way of their scarves (which they ALL wear.)

i wear dogtags on every flight, and since i am too stupid to remember them on every flight i just wear them all the time. i fly 3-4 times a week and it is eay to remember to always dress the same. also, i dont know any herk guys who fly with a scarf. in fact "rings and scarves removed" is a pretty standard part of the AC brief.

Edited by tac airlifter

Guest JorryFright21
Seeing the "under the collar and into the zipper" move is like hearing someone scratch on a chalkboard.

HD

Why? I didn't get the official "that's stupid" memo. I'll give you the scarf= :rainbow: thing, but I'm curious as to why "under the collar and into the zipper" is akin to the whole chalkboard thing.

but I'm curious as to why "under the collar and into the zipper" is akin to the whole chalkboard thing.

If people want to wear their tags as opposed to just putting them in a pocket, fine. But IMHO putting them on the outside of a collar and running them through the zipper just looks stupid.

HD

HD, you mean people are wearing their tag chain on the outside of the flightsuit and then just tucking the actual tags into their flightsuit? Please say I'm misunderstanding.

I don't think you are misunderstanding. Some guys wear them on the outside of the flightsuit, under the collar and then they tuck the tags and the remaining chain into the flightsuit through the front at the top of the zipper. Some old school MAC guys do this with their scarves, as well.

I don't think you are misunderstanding. Some guys wear them on the outside of the flightsuit, under the collar and then they tuck the tags and the remaining chain into the flightsuit through the front at the top of the zipper. Some old school MAC guys do this with their scarves, as well.

Who'd a thunk something like dogtags could get people so worked up?

If you wear the metal chain, sometimes it pinches the back of your neck. Mildly annoying. I suspect that is why some people route the chain under the flight suit collar, as opposed to a strange fashion statement. If you spend much time around the Army, where they are forced to wear them 24/7, you'll see a whole cottage industry of ways to make the chain less annoying. Routing through hollowed out 550 cord, plastic tubing, etc.

I myself wear my dogtags on a piece of cord. I wear them mainly because it's a convenient place to store my wedding ring when I'm flying, at gym, etc.

I've only seen rotary guys do that with scarves.

Edited by sputnik

Scarves are lame.

Who'd a thunk something like dogtags could get people so worked up?

I'm not getting worked up, I just think wearing your dogtag chain on the outside of your flightsuit is incredibly :rainbow:. Contrary to popular belief, it is actually very easy to just put the damn things in any one of the multiple pockets on the flightsuit. This also negates the "they rub on my neck" problem. Wearing them like that is just as stupid as the scarf thing. Just my opinion.

Guest JorryFright21
I'm not getting worked up, I just think wearing your dogtag chain on the outside of your flightsuit is incredibly :rainbow:. Contrary to popular belief, it is actually very easy to just put the damn things in any one of the multiple pockets on the flightsuit. This also negates the "they rub on my neck" problem. Wearing them like that is just as stupid as the scarf thing. Just my opinion.

Well, I guess it's a good thing you don't fly a helo.

EDIT: spelling

I just throw them in my flightbag. If my plane goes down and I become part of a big smokin' hole, then my dogtags should be somewhere near me anyway. Putting them in the flightsuit pockets works well too. Wearing them just gets to be a pain the butt.

I'm sure just "throwing them in your flightbag" is against your Vol 3.

I'm sure just "throwing them in your flightbag" is against your Vol 3.

The respective Vol 3's for almost all AMC aircraft only require tags to be carried. The KC-135 is a little different with the verbiage: "tags are required to be worn or carried."

HD

Edited by HerkDerka

The respective Vol 3's for almost all AMC aircraft only require tags to be carried. The KC-135 is a little different with the verbiage: "tags are required to be worn or carried."

HD

We have a new Vol 3 coming out next month so it might change since the current one is eight years old.

Showing my age here but waaaaayyyyyy back in the day, and I dont remember the exact verbage but 55-130 said they will be worn around the neck unless they interfered with the parachute straps or something like that.

I think you are correct. MCI 55-130 had verbiage close to that and I used to comply. Today I just "carry" them in my MAC purse which I always have on me.

Showing my age here but waaaaayyyyyy back in the day, and I dont remember the exact verbage but 55-130 said they will be worn around the neck unless they interfered with the parachute straps or something like that.

I think you are correct. MCI 55-130 had verbiage close to that and I used to comply. Today I just "carry" them in my MAC purse which I always have on me.

You're right on non-ejection aircraft. When I was in AWACS, they just wanted the girls to remove their ear (and nipple and "other") piercings prior to flight.

On ejection seat aircraft, loose dogtags can be self-critiquing. Since I ejected down in my last plane, I'd turn into the modern headless horseman.

The KC-135 is a little different with the verbiage: "tags are required to be worn or carried."

That's because that's what General LeMay would want us to do.