F-16 Fighter Jet Flown by Oklahoma AG Candidate's Son Crashes in Louisiana; Pilot Ejects Safely

M2

Interesting...but glad he's OK!

9c590cc8-5ad2-4e26-a947-dad618f87b65_750x422.jpg

(source)

An F-16 Fighting Falcon fighter jet piloted by the son of a candidate to be the Oklahoma attorney general crashed in rural Louisiana on Wednesday during a training exercise.

Gentner Drummond, a former Air Force captain and Republican seeking the top law office in the Sooner State, said in a Facebook post that the plane was flown by his son, Alexander, a captain major in the Oklahoma Air National Guard 138th Fighter Wing who ejected prior to the crash... (source)

The book killed me...seems like I need to watch the movie.

The book is by far the best. The original movie is also very good.

It’s amazing to me how relevant the book still is as it relates to life in the military and the stifling bureaucracy that surrounds us. I can take examples from the book/movie and directly compare to situations that I have lived through.

I swear I could write a “Catch-22 part deux…the desert years” with my own tales of pointless exercises, manufactured crises, administrative frustration, paperwork for the sake of doing paperwork, medical standards buffoonery and overall ridiculousness.
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scooter14 said:

It’s amazing to me how relevant the book still is as it relates to life in the military and the stifling bureaucracy that surrounds us. I can take examples from the book/movie and directly compare to situations that I have lived through.

That's the exact feeling I had upon first reading. I was struck by how similar it all was to my "modern" experience and how its absurdism was present in my own experience.

A passage (in reference to Colonel Cathcart)

"No such private nights of ecstacy or hushed-up drinking and sex orgies ever occurred. They might have occurred if either General Dreedle or General Peckham had once evinced an interest in taking part in orgies with him, but neither ever did, and the colonel was certainly not going to waste his time and energy making love to beautiful women unless there was something it it for him."

Edited by ViperMan
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 12:06 PM, M2 said:

Interesting...but glad he's OK!

9c590cc8-5ad2-4e26-a947-dad618f87b65_750x422.jpg

(source)

An F-16 Fighting Falcon fighter jet piloted by the son of a candidate to be the Oklahoma attorney general crashed in rural Louisiana on Wednesday during a training exercise.

Gentner Drummond, a former Air Force captain and Republican seeking the top law office in the Sooner State, said in a Facebook post that the plane was flown by his son, Alexander, a captain major in the Oklahoma Air National Guard 138th Fighter Wing who ejected prior to the crash... (source)

The photo the article used is from the 2017 ejection at EFD, not this particular accident. 

• Upvote 1

Guest LumberjackAxe

I read the book on my fourth Dhafra tour and couldn't believe how relevant it was to our current conflict. The latest Hulu series did a pretty good job too.

Had a friend who left the AF as a Major with 15 yrs service due to the Anthrax vaccine issue. A few years later he was able to return to the Air Force as a seargent in the Air Guard. So he was enlisted with Pilot wings. His unit called him Seargent -Major! 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 3/31/2022 at 8:13 AM, Vito said:

Had a friend who left the AF as a Major with 15 yrs service due to the Anthrax vaccine issue. A few years later he was able to return to the Air Force as a seargent in the Air Guard. So he was enlisted with Pilot wings. His unit called him Seargent -Major! 

Along the way I served with:

Lieutenant Tenant, Major Captain, and Captain America