GA Aircraft Flown

HuggyU2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, SHFP said:

The KC-97 was often challenging if at Night and with reduced visibility.   Had to lock out the Slats to prevent there cycling as our speed was so slow.  So it was a wallow.  Additionally, we would refuel in a slow descent.  USAFE operations required to be Mission Ready you need 4 successful refuelings.  2 135s, Day and Night, and 2 97s. But if your first in house (USAFE) was a Night 97 and you could demonstrate abilities, then the other 3 were waived.  

KC-97.jpeg

Great photo, mine is in Germany's  Baumholder Track.  Had to tap burner to hold position with the high AOA.  '97 had the best director lights.AAR.png

Edited by Springer
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Springer said:

97 had the best director lights.

Until the KC-46 came on board. Unfortunately, government contracting and Boeing QA fails the platform in other areas beyond the director lights.

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 5:54 PM, bfargin said:

What kind of legs does the A37 have with internal tanks? And, with the 2 drop tanks on each side?

In ACE flying the regular tweet, we'd shoot for around 350 miles or so and sometimes stretch to 400nm legs. You'd have to go high 23 to 25K to be safe on the 400 mile plan. I'd imagine the A37 is a little more thirsty so even with more fuel it might not go much over 450nm or so? Thats gotta be a blast Huggy.

It is a really neat jet to fly, and a lot of fun.  

As for range... it's pretty thirsty.  For my flight to Idaho, I went at 16,500 with around a 20 knot headwind, and 225 KIAS.  I burned about 1.1 gallons per mile.  Keep in mind:  this variant of the J-85 makes as much thrust in Mil as our Beale T-38's make in MAX.  It's a screamin' machine.  Yes, I could save gas going to FL240/250... but there are other factors I consider.  

280 gallons with the wings and fuselage tank full.  460 gallons if the tips are full.  And another 90 gallons in each of the four drop tanks are possible.  So... loaded up, it's about 820 gallons.

Springer, I'll take you up on the offer to teach me air refueling!  I ping'd a couple of guys from my era that flew them in Panama, and they couldn't remember the AR speed.  One thinks it was 280 and the other thinks 230-250.  This jet went to the Vietnamese Air Force so i never had the cape.  

One that note, 87921 flew about 2,200 combat hours with the South Vietnam.  When the commies overran the South, they captured 95 A-37's... and actually flew them.  Eventually they ran out of support and parked them.  An Australian businessman saw them on a visit, bought 11, and floated them down the Mekong to a container ship that took them back to Australia.  There is another jet from this lot of 11 that will possibly be flying this summer.  

I've attached a pic of the patch the owner gives everyone that gets a flight in it.  Great book too.  

I just attended the A-37 convention in Galveston back in April.  Great stories and the jet was (and is) way underrated.  Check this out:  By the way, look at the ejection seats in the picture of the YouTube video of aircraft 10779.  Pretty non-standard, right?  That's because the Australian owner/museum convinced Martin-Baker to retrofit their jet with modern seats.  Crazy!

A-37 patch.JPG

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

On 6/2/2024 at 3:09 PM, HuggyU2 said:

It is a really neat jet to fly, and a lot of fun.  

As for range... it's pretty thirsty.  For my flight to Idaho, I went at 16,500 with around a 20 knot headwind, and 225 KIAS.  I burned about 1.1 gallons per mile.  Keep in mind:  this variant of the J-85 makes as much thrust in Mil as our Beale T-38's make in MAX.  It's a screamin' machine.  Yes, I could save gas going to FL240/250... but there are other factors I consider.  

280 gallons with the wings and fuselage tank full.  460 gallons if the tips are full.  And another 90 gallons in each of the four drop tanks are possible.  So... loaded up, it's about 820 gallons.

Springer, I'll take you up on the offer to teach me air refueling!  I ping'd a couple of guys from my era that flew them in Panama, and they couldn't remember the AR speed.  One thinks it was 280 and the other thinks 230-250.  This jet went to the Vietnamese Air Force so i never had the cape.  

One that note, 87921 flew about 2,200 combat hours with the South Vietnam.  When the commies overran the South, they captured 95 A-37's... and actually flew them.  Eventually they ran out of support and parked them.  An Australian businessman saw them on a visit, bought 11, and floated them down the Mekong to a container ship that took them back to Australia.  There is another jet from this lot of 11 that will possibly be flying this summer.  

I've attached a pic of the patch the owner gives everyone that gets a flight in it.  Great book too.  

I just attended the A-37 convention in Galveston back in April.  Great stories and the jet was (and is) way underrated.  Check this out:  By the way, look at the ejection seats in the picture of the YouTube video of aircraft 10779.  Pretty non-standard, right?  That's because the Australian owner/museum convinced Martin-Baker to retrofit their jet with modern seats.  Crazy!

A-37 patch.JPG

On 6/2/2024 at 10:09 PM, SHFP said:

Hanging out as 4 on the A-37.   

5FCB2706-7462-4487-A5BB-67F4DD8C385D.jpeg

C3353C20-3472-4B7D-87FB-A9BD9D4FF294.jpeg

Fuck yeah!

I've always wanted to go fly the MiG-15UTI one time... but as I get older and more risk-averse, I'm not sure I will if I get the chance.  What a terrible reputation it has.  

Hopefully, when we get the gear seals replaced (also hopefully soon) you can fly it.  Actually it is fun and easy to fly...I    instructed in the Tweet and always wanted to fly the A-37.

Hopefully, when we get the gear seals replaced (also hopefully soon) you can fly it.  Actually it is fun and easy to fly...I    instructed in the Tweet and always wanted to fly the A-37.

Sounds like a good ole trade is going to happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Posted (edited)

Yeah!  I'm glad to hear you say this about the MiG!!

It was just recently that  got a bunch more negative comments on flying it. 

I always figured that if poor communist kids could learn to fly it, and fly it hard, then I could probably do a docile checkout. I have no intention of pushing any of these jets to their envelope edge. 

Maybe see you in St George in October?

Edited by HuggyU2

Great Huggy, plan is to have 546 gear seals replaced along with a few minor stuff done and flying by Fall for the Jet Blast.   FYI....sent you a PM.

Posted (edited)

Update: the A-37 will be flying the Hill AFB Airshow 29-30 June. 
We are trying to work it so it goes to the static area when it isn't flying. It's a waste to leave it in the non-public Hot Pit. 
Mark is the other pilot and he does all of the demo flying.
I'm hoping to be there to help out and talk to the public. If I'm there, say hi and identify yourself as being from BO.net. 

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

We are trying to work it so it goes to the static area when it isn't flying. It's a waste to leave it in the non-public Hot Pit. 
I'm hoping to be there to help out and talk to the public. If I'm there, say hi and identify yourself as being from BO.net. 

HuggyU2,

You guys need to fly that bad boy in the Huntington Beach Air Show!!!

1 hour ago, Biff_T said:

HuggyU2,

You guys need to fly that bad boy in the Huntington Beach Air Show!!!

Would be nice.  HB is a great show!  

I'll be there though... in the chalet with a cocktail in my hand. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Ditch the orange flight suit, carry a grease pencil and wear the "gay" scarf I sent you.  The kids will love it!  I should send you my A-37 model sitting in the closet.  You could auction it off for gas money.

Edited by Springer
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2024 at 1:37 AM, HuggyU2 said:

Yo Huggs, how’s it looking for HIF?  There’s a possibility I could be there

On 6/23/2024 at 11:47 AM, Clayton Bigsby said:

Yo Huggs, how’s it looking for HIF?  There’s a possibility I could be there

The A-37 arrives today.  I'll arrive late Friday and leave Sunday afternoon.  
Mark is doing the display flying and is really good at it. 
We asked Hill to have the plane parked in the public area, and not sequestered off in the Hot Pits. Our goal is for people to see this rare plane up close. 
I'll be near the jet most of the day. Come by and say hi. 

• Like 3

On 6/27/2024 at 8:08 AM, HuggyU2 said:

The A-37 arrives today.  I'll arrive late Friday and leave Sunday afternoon.  
Mark is doing the display flying and is really good at it. 
We asked Hill to have the plane parked in the public area, and not sequestered off in the Hot Pits. Our goal is for people to see this rare plane up close. 
I'll be near the jet most of the day. Come by and say hi. 

Will you be by the jet tomorrow (Sun) am?  I wasn't planning to go this year but might just to say howdy to you.

Unfortunately no, I'm heading back to Sacramento in a couple hours. 
A-37 should fly around 1055. Yesterday, he flew after the T-33. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2024 at 6:36 AM, HuggyU2 said:

Unfortunately no, I'm heading back to Sacramento in a couple hours. 
A-37 should fly around 1055. Yesterday, he flew after the T-33. 

Huggy's A-37 demo at Hill AFB, starts at 1:34.  Makes for an excellent flying display.

Edited by Springer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Springer said:

Huggy's A-37 demo at Hill AFB, starts at 1:34.  Makes for an excellent flying display.

Yeah baby.   The 388th was my first assignment 98-01.    Amn Biff.    They always put on a good show at Hill.   

Edit:  Sweet Demo.  @HuggyU2 That thing looks and sounds sexy!

Edited by Biff_T
Afterthought

Actually, the other pilot, Mark Peterson, flew the display. He's a lm excellent display pilot and also flies the P-51 and Alpha Jet displays. 

And yes, it's a hoot to fly. Sounds like a T-38, not a Tweet. 

• Like 1